Photo critic

Bukitimah

Nov 28, 2010
Singapore
Can anyone share with me on the 'appreciation' of a good photo? Is there a thread going on so that we can understand why a particular photo is very well taken.

Whether it is due to special lighting, angle of the shot, ISO setting, Shutter speed adjustment, etc.

To a lay person, we are just looking at a clean clear photo that show details. Even with details, we may be looking at different things. I once asked somebody why somehow the pictures the photographer choose for the publication are always not the best shot of the person. He told me because the photographer is looking at the photo quality and not how that person look. :eek:

Read through the critique corner. You'll get lots of information there.

But other than a picture being obviouisly bad, a lot of it is subjective as well. A good picture invokes an emotional response, and you can connect with it. A really bad picture either leaves you totally bored and is forgettable, or has a negative reaction - you basically just go "ew!!!"

Can anyone share with me on the 'appreciation' of a good photo? Is there a thread going on so that we can understand why a particular photo is very well taken.

Whether it is due to special lighting, angle of the shot, ISO setting, Shutter speed adjustment, etc.

To a lay person, we are just looking at a clean clear photo that show details. Even with details, we may be looking at different things. I once asked somebody why somehow the pictures the photographer choose for the publication are always not the best shot of the person. He told me because the photographer is looking at the photo quality and not how that person look. :eek:

so u shoot to get good appreciation of 'somebody', to me a good picture is a picture I LIKE not SOMEBODY LIKE whether the picture is taken by me or other people.

it's difficult to "critique" somebody's work without any bias.
everybody has their own criteria as to what looks good/bad for them.

if you are asking for something specific to look at in your photograph, say "is my focus on subject A correct?" or "is my white balance screwed?" then there may be a consensus for a majority of the critics.

whereas if you simply ask "is my photo beautiful?" then you will get a myriad of answers from the most negative to the most positive.

like what rashkae mentioned, most of it is subjective. that's why there are 3 or more judges on photo contests.

cheers!

so u shoot to get good appreciation of 'somebody', to me a good picture is a picture I LIKE not SOMEBODY LIKE whether the picture is taken by me or other people.

Some people like very bad pics, especially ones they took themselves. Then how?

Hey guys, how do one post photo here? Maybe hearing from you people can help me correct my mistakes

whatever that person conveyed to you is nonsense.

yes, photo quality can play a part, but blur photos have had their fair share of place in history. it depends on the publication itself.

unfortunately, some people like every photo they have taken, so how?

so ya ask those that would give honest feedback i guess...

For commercial works, its true that the "best" photo might not be the chosen one. That's because the photo which is most suited for the assignment will be given priority over the others. When you are taking photo for a living, someimes what the photographer or onlookers think does not matter. The pay master decides.

How one respond to photos cannot be taught, it can only be nurtured. You don't have to go around struggling to find just the good stuff to appreciate because you can learn just as much from bad photos. If you've seen enough bad phoros and develop a critical mind, you'll see good things in time to come.

before you do that, please clear your mind of any pre-existing opinion of your work and be ready to bin it.....

haha i'm fine one. quite open to critic:think: gives me new insights

Thank you for all the tips. BUT how do we post picture on this forum. I click on the 'insert picture' icon and it says enter url.

I tried to search on the forum on guides but couldn't find any. Is there a minimum posts before one is allowed to post pictures?

my point of view, if you want real feed back of your photos, put it on the "market", and let "market" decide the value of your work. There are many "markets" around, clubsnap forum, dpreview, flickr. Different market have different group of ppl giving out opinions. Even in flickr itself..there are many interest group allow you to post up your photos.

My opinion of good photo, good composition and colour combination come 1st, details come later. When ppl 1st look on your photo, a good photo able to attract eyeball. Mean ppl will continue looking at it, zoom in, look for 3 sec, like it or hate it then it is a good photo. It is nothing to do with camera setting, how to take it, when u take it.

I think the professional critics only for professional, human still answer to human nature, everything look nice is nice. Same like when man look at a girl, face, body shape, skin, smile, hair do, eyes all come into picture. If the girl overall look ok from far then man will go near and take a closer look. :bsmilie: we don't bother if the girl look like **** from far.

Thank you for all the tips. BUT how do we post picture on this forum. I click on the 'insert picture' icon and it says enter url.
Guide to posting images in ClubSNAP
I tried to search on the forum on guides but couldn't find any. Is there a minimum posts before one is allowed to post pictures?
No minimum post required.

please post your photo at the appropriate sections of the Photo Galleries.

if you wish to post Critique Corner, PLS READ BEFORE POSTING - Important Notice to all making Critique Requests

Hi thank you for your response but I am referred to a url link to attach photo. My photo is in my hard disk so how to upload?
you need to upload your photos online first. So just find any online photo sharing sites such as Flickr, Photobucket, multiply etc and insert the ULR of your photos.

the proper way to post FLICKR images in Clubsnap

hope this help.