Photo Contest - Nat Geo and CapitaLand Building People

building people

May 10, 2010
Capitaland and National Geographic Channel Photographer Jeff Hutchens launch “Building People” photography competition. Show us the best characteristics of a good building to win a private photography tutorial with Jeff Hutchens in Singapore! For more information, log on to: http://www.capitaland.com/ngc-photo/

good stuff :thumbsup:

appending some of the important details from the T&C:

Eligibility for Entry to the Competition

7. Entry to the Competition is open to anyone aged 18 years and above on the date of entry and residing in Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam and China only during the period of 01-15 August 2010 (final date range to be confirmed at a later stage). Where your entry is prohibited or restricted by law or otherwise in your place of residence, it shall be completely void.

8. In order to be eligible to win a prize [color=redyou must be able to attend the National Geographic Photography Workshop by Jeff Hutchens in Singapore taking place on [u]August 5, 2010[/u][/color]. The final Dates are subject to change at the discretion of the Promoters.

9. No purchase is necessary to enter the Competition.

10. Employees of the Promoters, their related companies and advertising agencies, and the immediate families of such employees, may not enter the Competition.

Entry to the Competition

11. The Competition is open for entries from April 1, 2010 to May 31, 2010. Dates are subject to change.

12. To participate, you are required to submit an original photograph that must feature one or more of the CapitaLand properties listed at http://www.capitaland.com/globalpresence/. Photographs that do not feature a property on this list will be excluded from the Competition. Your photograph must be accompanied by the name of the building and a caption for the photograph (in not more than 150 words).

13. While your photograph may capture the exterior or the interior of any building listed on the website referred to in Paragraph 12 above, entry into the Competition does not grant you any right to enter onto CapitaLand property. You may only take your photograph from an area to which public entry is permitted. Illegal or attempted illegal entry of any properties owned or managed by CapitaLand is strictly prohibited.

14. Your entry may be submitted online only, at the internet address: www.capitaland.com/ngc-photo (the Website). You may enter the Competition for yourself as many times as you wish, but for each entry to the Competition, you must submit online a separate and different entry.

15. By entering the Competition, you irrevocably agree to the Promoters (either individually or jointly), using the following, without compensation, in perpetuity, in any country of the world, in any manner and in any media or format now know or later devised, for any purpose whatsoever:
(a) your name and likeness;
(b) your answer to the Competition question; and
(c) the photo and photo caption you submit as a part of your entry into the Competition.

Selection of Winners

16. Three (3) winners will be selected jointly by National Geographic Channel photographer and CapitaLand executives and one (1) winner will be selected through the viewer's choice contest (the Winners). The 4 Winners will each receive a place at the photography workshop conducted by National Geographic Channel Photographer Jeff Hutchens in Singapore on August 5, 2010. Each Winner that is not resident in Singapore will also receive a round trip economy class ticket for one (1) person to Singapore and two night’s accommodation in Singapore (the place at the workshop and any flights and/or accommodation jointly the Prize).

17. Winners will be announced on the National Geographic Channel Website on July 20, 2010. The Winners will be notified separately by email and will be required to acknowledge receipt of such email within 5 working days of such receipt. Winners who fail to acknowledge receipt of such email will not be entitled to claim any part of their Prize. The Promoters reserve the right in their sole and absolute discretion to deal with any unclaimed Prize in any manner.

#15 seems to be the more improved version.

Should the photo be original without post-processing i.e. Sharpness/Contrast enhancements or can do HDR stuff, etc?

Thanks for your interest! The entries need to be original photos without post-processing.

Thanks for your interest in the CapitaLand and National Geographic Channel “Building People” photography competition! This is a gentle reminder that 15 June is the last day to enter to win a private photography tutorial with Jeff Hutchens in Singapore. For more information, log on to: http://www.capitaland.com/ngc-photo/

Hi Good day!
Entries will be straight out of the camera as jpeg file?
Any limit on the file size?

Thanks for your interest! There's no size limit on the submissions, but do make sure to submit your photos in JPG format.

Also, please hold on to high-res versions of your submissions, as short-listed contestants will have to submit a high-res photo for evaluation by our judging panel. These high-res photos will also be showcased at our exhibitions in both Singapore and Shanghai, so be sure to send in your submissions before 15 June for an opportunity to feature your pictures on an international stage!

Thanks for your interest! There's no size limit on the submissions, but do make sure to submit your photos in JPG format.

Also, please hold on to high-res versions of your submissions, as short-listed contestants will have to submit a high-res photo for evaluation by our judging panel. These high-res photos will also be showcased at our exhibitions in both Singapore and Shanghai, so be sure to send in your submissions before 15 June for an opportunity to feature your pictures on an international stage!

hmm.... exhibition in Shanghai....
Can the contest organisers consider throwing in free flight and hotel stay in Shanghai as part of the prize for Singapore winner? currently the prize is so unfair to Singapore contestants :think:

Thanks for your interest! Although the photos will be featured in both the Singapore and Shanghai exhibitions, the Singapore exhibition is the primary showcase for winners of the competition. As such, accommodation and transport will only be provided to Singapore for winners outside Singapore.

However, don't forget that winners will not only have their photos showcased on a worldwide platform, but also gain the opportunity to interact with award-winning photographer Jeff Hutchens in an exclusive photography tutorial! The deadline is less than two weeks away, so keep those submissions coming in!

Thanks for your interest! Although the photos will be featured in both the Singapore and Shanghai exhibitions, the Singapore exhibition is the primary showcase for winners of the competition. As such, accommodation and transport will only be provided to Singapore for winners outside Singapore.

However, don't forget that winners will not only have their photos showcased on a worldwide platform, but also gain the opportunity to interact with award-winning photographer Jeff Hutchens in an exclusive photography tutorial! The deadline is less than two weeks away, so keep those submissions coming in!

Hi there,

Wondering if there is limit for number of photo to submit?

cheers

Thanks for your interest! There is no limit to the number of submissions you may make, as long as each submission is submitted online as a separate and different entry. Don't forget that each submitted photograph must be accompanied by the name of the building and a caption for the photograph (no more than 150 words). We look forward to your entries!

Terms and condition in line no 15 is :thumbsd::nono:

It gives the organiser a perpetual, all rights to use the image, be it an award winning shot or not. This is as good as giving the organiser the full rights to the photo as soon as it is submitted for the contest. It means that the orgaiser, can gain a whole library of stock photos from all contestants but only need to give out some prize to several winners.

I don't think it is the real intention of the organiser to expliot photographers taking part in this. so why don't the terms and condition be modified? Only the winning shots can be used over a certain period of time or purpose or something rather than having such an unfair clause.

See the link there which explains why your term is unfair is deemed and is deemed as grabbing the rights from photographers entering your contest:
http://www.pro-imaging.org/content/view/164/161/

Last edited:
Terms and condition in line no 15 is :thumbsd::nono:
The issue of term and condition never end. I think it is fair as long as the organiser spells it out and those who participate are accepting it.
If my son wanna take part, I would encourage him. Even if he cannot make it but the organiser use his image for their publication, it does mean alot to him or maybe proud of it.( so long as they don't use it as an example like - "never, never take a building like this one :bsmilie:).
You might say that he is stupid to be abused. But, personally, I think otherwise, unless he is a comercial photographer or he is Jeff Hutchens' mentor.

The issue of term and condition never end. I think it is fair as long as the organiser spells it out and those who participate are accepting it.
If my son wanna take part, I would encourage him. Even if he cannot make it but the organiser use his image for their publication, it does mean alot to him or maybe proud of it.( so long as they don't use it as an example like - "never, never take a building like this one :bsmilie:).
You might say that he is stupid to be abused. But, personally, I think otherwise, unless he is a comercial photographer or he is Jeff Hutchens' mentor.

Agree with you, I don't think that Capland can't afford to hire ace photographer when they always involve in multi million dollar project. The company's reputation is worth more. No, I don't work for them or related in any way but stating the fact.

i THINK... wat the previous post mean is tat its unfair that they pool photo from user and use them or even earn money from it without the photographer notice... and whats worst is that they dun even give credit to the photographer as they have the rights of the photo when u submit a photo... they can use ur photo like 5years later and u dun even know

its abit like everyone post photo in flickr, then someone took it and use it for commercial purpose...

Last edited:
Agree with you, I don't think that Capland can't afford to hire ace photographer when they always involve in multi million dollar project. The company's reputation is worth more. No, I don't work for them or related in any way but stating the fact.

yup, agree i dun believe they are tat cheapstake either... worst come to worst, they see ur composition and like it, they can simply hire a photographer and ask them to do something similar on request

Photography competitions are a cheap means to build up image libraries. So for any self-respecting photographer who think you are better than that, keep away from these competitions and stop yourself from being used.

Photography competitions are a cheap means to build up image libraries. So for any self-respecting photographer who think you are better than that, keep away from these competitions and stop yourself from being used.

very true, very wise word from the senior

If you are so willing to be used, go ahead.