Photo Competition

GJosh

Mar 4, 2014
Singapore
Hey hey,

There's a new photography competition just recently launched. Called 'My Favourite Space' photo competition, it invites people to submit photos of their favourite public spaces and how people enjoy these spots. Contest closes on 28 March. Do take a look! :D

Where to look ? :dunno:

I'd ask all photographers to read the R&R before submitting your photographs, especially clause 3.2. No self respecting photographer will ever agree to it.

http://www.ura.gov.sg/MS/URAPhotoComp/Rules.aspx
I agree.
It just seem like they are using this competition to get their hands on thousands of images for their own future publicity use for a pitiful $5,100 (total prize money). While the few winners would get the money, the rest would have given up the rights to their photos for nothing in return except for an acknowledgement if their images were used.

Well... If that's the case...

Submit one photo, it equates to selling that photo for the prize you won! ;p

That photo would be what you considered to be your best for the competition theme. If it did not get within top 8 photos amongst the thousands of photos subjected, you would have given it to them for free. Just because it's not the top 8 does not mean that the all the other photos are not good... but they would be given to URA for free because they were entered for the competition. ;)

Nowadays a lot of photo competitions are nothing more than thinly veiled attempts to build up royalty free stock image libraries...

agreed, for the less that 5k, they get to access to thousands and thousand unpublished photos, even it only 50 photo is close to what they looking for, that is still consider hitting the jackpot,
and don't forget, they will have exclusive use of the 8 winning photos in anyway they want it.

FYI, my stock photos are cheap cheap only, you can download a 1600 pixel file for only US$30.00, so you do the maths.......... running a photos competition is a cheap and effective way to build up their own stock photos fast.

There are many stories of people joining similar contests with similar terms and conditions, ended up with their photos behind used somewhere for huge profits or huge purposes, and they felt cheated and lost out. Then they start threads on clubsnap to ask, and get further frustrated and disappointed.

As a strong community here, perhaps some guidelines could be setup to advise people not to join such contests.

Photographers got to take care of their own interests. If not, nobody will. We just need to be smarter and not be lured into these traps. When you want to get into something, know what you are getting into. Those who bitch after doesn't deserve any sympathy.

Maybe clubsnap as a collective group could list out some ongoing competitions and recommend members to avoid the ones who are out collecting stock photos. Hopefully over time the terms and conditions set by organisers will become more favorable. I am not sure if it is permissible or legal.

I recently participated in a competition organised by the organisers of the "Singapore maritime week"

Their terms and conditions are pretty honorable and does not appear exploitative.

Kudos to the organisier.

http://www.smw.sg/smw2014_photo_comp/TnC_SMW_Photo_comp_2014.pdf

Of course, if anyone still participate in the competition that are less favorable, read the terms and don't gripe about it. Alternatively shoot burst and send in one of the many.

Maybe clubsnap as a collective group could list out some ongoing competitions and recommend members to avoid the ones who are out collecting stock photos. Hopefully over time the terms and conditions set by organisers will become more favorable. I am not sure if it is permissible or legal.

I recently participated in a competition organised by the organisers of the "Singapore maritime week"

Their terms and conditions are pretty honorable and does not appear exploitative.

Kudos to the organisier.

http://www.smw.sg/smw2014_photo_comp/TnC_SMW_Photo_comp_2014.pdf

Of course, if anyone still participate in the competition that are less favorable, read the terms and don't gripe about it. Alternatively shoot burst and send in one of the many.

There are really too many popping these days for someone to sit there and screen through. The MPA T&C are decent, you are right. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately a lot of them will just copy and paste standard conditions, including the catch-all phrase that allows the organizer to use all participating entries without having to pay any fee. Everyone who is thinking of participating in any photography competition should really take the time to read T&C that's all, I don't think it is also a good thing to expect CS or any forum to babysit you, since there will always be unfair T&C in life beyond just photography competitions. :)

There are really too many popping these days for someone to sit there and screen through. The MPA T&C are decent, you are right. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately a lot of them will just copy and paste standard conditions, including the catch-all phrase that allows the organizer to use all participating entries without having to pay any fee. Everyone who is thinking of participating in any photography competition should really take the time to read T&C that's all, I don't think it is also a good thing to expect CS or any forum to babysit you, since there will always be unfair T&C in life beyond just photography competitions. :)

You are so right!

So i wrote in to the organiser and inform them of a somewhat less than favorable terms. Hopefully any photographer who come across unfavorable terms will also write in to any organisers and over time and bad public opinion organisers may just start to provide better terms for use or not use of the images outside of contest.

Let them understand it is a matter of principles.

So don't wait, take out your pen and start writing, they may ignore one but many...:cool:

People got to understand that these competitions were not organised in attempt to promote photography. They serve a purpose, a selfish one in many instances. The organiser's interest will be above everything else. I fail to see how these people will relent if their objectives were not met to begin with. This is not about photography or photographers. To them, the moment you entered the competition, you are deemed to have accepted their terms.

Any contests with TnCs that takes away your copyright or gives them exclusive (or even non-exclusive) reproductions rights for any commercial gain will be the contests I'd avoid IMHO.

The MPA photo contest are a good example of an honorable set of contest rules. In fact, any organizer who deem themselves to be of good repute with good intent should base contest rules around this model.

Perhaps Clubsnap can do a sticky post with some guidelines to follow. Single-ling out contests as bad would be rather confrontational and a hard position for clubsnap to take.

Any contests with TnCs that takes away your copyright or gives them exclusive (or even non-exclusive) reproductions rights for any commercial gain will be the contests I'd avoid IMHO.

The MPA photo contest are a good example of an honorable set of contest rules. In fact, any organizer who deem themselves to be of good repute with good intent should base contest rules around this model.

Perhaps Clubsnap can do a sticky post with some guidelines to follow. Single-ling out contests as bad would be rather confrontational and a hard position for clubsnap to take.

Those organize by associations are call print competitions, their goals to promote photography, but participants have to pay a fee to take part.

Those photo competitions organized by commercial entities or governor agencies with specific themes, merely are just soliciting royalty free stock photos for free or cheap if you read their T&C carefully.
So to get more participants to join in, usually it is free to all to join, and the prizes are usually sponsored their suppliers or cost very little or noting to them. So you can guess who are the ultimate winner.