Photo Competition : Orient Expressions In The City

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckiang

Jan 17, 2002
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
www.ckphoto.net
From 10 - 31 January 2003, capture the vivid festive mood and activities during the "Orient Expressions In The City" at Raffles City Shopping Centre, and stand a chance to win cash and travel prizes.

This competition is jointly organised by The Photographic Society of Singapore, Golden Travel Services Pte Ltd, Radin Mas Community Club, Raffles City Shopping Centre.

Prizes:
1st prize 7 days Mount Wuyi Tour and $ 800 cash
2nd prize 7 days Mount Wuyi Tour and $ 500 cash
3rd prize 7 days Mount Wuyi Tour and $ 300 cash]
5 Consolation Prizes : $200 Cash each
All participants: $ 50 Travel Voucher

Rules and Regulation:
1. This competition is open to all citizens and residents of Singapore.

2. Each participant may submit up to a maximum of 8 prints, print size should be either 8R (20cm x 25cm) or Super 8R (20cm x 30cm) and must not be mounted.

3. Participant may submit either colour or monochrome print as entries. Digital images are allowed but they must be printed through photography lab process. Inkjet, laser and dye-sub prints will be rejected.

4. Entry submitted should depict the festive mood and activities during: "Orient Expressions In The City" at Raffles City Shopping Centre from 10 to 31 Jan 2003.

5. Entry submitted must be the sole and original work of the participant. Copyright to all photographs will remain the property of the photographer. However, the participant grants the organisers and their licensees an non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual licence to use, reproduce, publish or exhibit in any medium as the organisers shall deem fit. The organisers shall not responsible for any liability, loss, damage, costs and expenses in relation to any claim.

6. All entry submitted are non-returnable.

7. All prize winners will be notified by post. Upon notification, all winners must submit the negatives, transparencies or original high-resolution digital image files (minimum 2000 x 1600 pixels) of their winning entries. Digitally enhanced images must submit with the final file, and to ensure that it can be enlarged to 30cm x 40cm with image quality similar to the photo submitted. Failure to do so will result in entries being disqualified.

8. A duly completed official entry form (photo copy allowed) must be affixed on the reverse side of each entry.

9. Entries must be submitted by 5 Feb 2003, 6pm. and sent to:

Orient Expressions In The City Photography Competition
The Photographic Society of Singapore
30 Selegie Road,
Selegie Arts Centre Building,
Singapore 180030.
Tel: 63343361

10. Judges' decision is final and no further correspondence will be entertained.

11. Exhibition of the winning entries and accepted prints will be held from 13 to 16 Feb 2003 at Raffles City Shopping Centre. Prize Presentation will be held on 12 Feb 2003 at 8pm.

12. The organisers will not responsible for any lost or damage. Proof of submission will not be accepted as proof of delivery.

13. Submission of entry/entries signifies the participant's acceptance of the rules and regulations as stated above.

Contest Form at : http://www.pss1950.org/events.php

=====

<rant>
I wonder why inkjet, dyesub and laser prints are not allowed - are they in anyway less photographic? A photo is a photo, the method of printing should not be a factor in judging anyway. Maybe that's why I didn't win the merlion comp, I sent in an inkjet print coz I only decided to do so at the 11th hour. But the Merlion comp didn't have such a rule.... oh well. Now we know. ;p
</rant>

Regards
CK

<rant>
I wonder why inkjet, dyesub and laser prints are not allowed - are they in anyway less photographic? A photo is a photo, the method of printing should not be a factor in judging anyway. Maybe that's why I didn't win the merlion comp, I sent in an inkjet print coz I only decided to do so at the 11th hour. But the Merlion comp didn't have such a rule.... oh well. Now we know. ;p
</rant>
i think (if i not wrong) that there's a concern for these organisers that inkjet and laser prints might have their colours run and that the prints won't last very long. at least that's what i've been told before.

Originally posted by Larry
i think (if i not wrong) that there's a concern for these organisers that inkjet and laser prints might have their colours run and that the prints won't last very long. at least that's what i've been told before.

Well, it's only an entry. They require you to send the original negs/slides/files to them, which they will reprint for whatever they want anyway. So what gives?? :dunno:

Then they might as well say "Entries taken with point and shoots, or SLRs using "Auto" and "Program" modes will be disqualified" or "Traditional B&W prints on RC paper will be disqualified - Fibre-based papers must be used", or something.

Seem like people are no longer judging an entry on its own merit. :(

Regards
CK

Is it going to be a close door judging again?

booooooooooo booooooo!
then they're gona reuse the pictures again and again.

i heard from my asst. tat now only ah peks join The Photographic Society of Singapore...isz true????

Originally posted by eadwine
booooooooooo booooooo!
then they're gona reuse the pictures again and again.

Dunno man.

And they didn't even list their judging criteria, and judging (sorry for the pun) previous contests by them, it sure looks like "almost random" - anyhow pick a few and make them winners.

Regards
CK

for all those out there who have rumoured comments that pss has only ah pehs...you should be ashamed of yourselves.
i'm young and vibrant and i'm a member...please lah! check before you make such comments...pss is making loads from basic photography course etc. and they are dedicated people etc...: )

my 3.5 cents...

Originally posted by tagclieg2
for all those out there who have rumoured comments that pss has only ah pehs...you should be ashamed of yourselves.
i'm young and vibrant and i'm a member...please lah! check before you make such comments...pss is making loads from basic photography course etc. and they are dedicated people etc...: )

my 3.5 cents...

Brudder.

How you join PSS and whats the membership like?

Any good shoots?

How big is their group per shoot?

Really bored sia.

:(

Originally posted by ckiang
From 10 - 31 January 2003, capture the vivid festive mood and activities during the "Orient Expressions In The City" at Raffles City Shopping Centre, and stand a chance to win cash and travel prizes.

This competition is jointly organised by The Photographic Society of Singapore, Golden Travel Services Pte Ltd, Radin Mas Community Club, Raffles City Shopping Centre.

Regards
CK

Anyone actually keen in the above?

Itchy trigger finger lah!:D

Then they might as well say "Entries taken with point and shoots, or SLRs using "Auto" and "Program" modes will be disqualified" or "Traditional B&W prints on RC paper will be disqualified - Fibre-based papers must be used", or something.

Regards
CK

how would they know if we are using manual or auto or program? Even I used auto, I can bluff and claim that I am using MF . my setting is 1/125 f2.8 .

Originally posted by ninelives

how would they know if we are using manual or auto or program? Even I used auto, I can bluff and claim that I am using MF . my setting is 1/125 f2.8 .

Yes you can indeed. My point is, what has the method of printing gotta do with the merit of the picture in the first place? At least limiting it to a Fuji print (as in the case of Fuji-sponsored event) isn't so bad. But limiting inkjet and dyesub is crazy.

Regards
CK

Yes you can indeed. My point is, what has the method of printing gotta do with the merit of the picture in the first place? At least limiting it to a Fuji print (as in the case of Fuji-sponsored event) isn't so bad. But limiting inkjet and dyesub is crazy.

Regards
CK

oh, I never read the post probably. I got wat you mean. I think they want you to process your print at photolab is because business is very bad lately. Photolabs are closing down one by one. They want you to print you prints there so they can survive , at least for a month.

hehe..:D I am talking cork.

/me back to study.

there's a lucky draw too that goes with the same name....

ORIENT EXPRESSIONS DRAW

10 Jan 2003 - 16 Feb 2003
Spend $50 or more at any Raffles City outlet between 10 Jan and 16 Feb and stand a chance to win one of the following:

Top 3 Prizes:
5-Day/4-Night Tour Package for 2 to Beijing

5 Consolation Prizes:
$500 Travel Voucher (2 to travel)

To enter, simply present your receipts at the Concierge, Level 1, for your SMS card. Terms and conditions apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.