Photo Competition - "Moments at Mandarin Oriental, Singapore"

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfbane

Aug 25, 2007
Take part in the photo competition "Moments at Mandarin Oriental, Singapore" and you may stand to win $7000 worth of cash prizes!

Organised by The Oriental hotel, the theme is "Moments at Mandarin Oriental, Singapore", so participants have the liberty to capture any image they feel best represent the essence of Mandarin Oriental.

Date of competition: Saturday, 8 September 2007

Interested participants have to submit a portfolio when registering.

For more details or to download the registration form, please follow this link http://www.mandarinoriental.com/hotel/509000559.asp

i may be wrong but it doesn't look like a competition at all, sounds at best a guise for filtering out pros for a freebie shoot, or at least at a very good rate (aka prize money)... :think:

i may be wrong but it doesn't look like a competition at all, sounds at best a guise for filtering out pros for a freebie shoot, or at least at a very good rate (aka prize money)... :think:

In a sense, yes.

However, in this case I think they dun wan their hotel overrunned by photogs. :sweat:

Well, at least they don't insult you with a $300 camera but the timing is ridiculous.

tot the monopoly prize takes the cake. :bsmilie::sweat:

Let me try and break the veiledness down.

1. Must submit portfolio and get shortlisted before you are considered a participant.

2. Winning entries must surrender all rights and allow the organiser to use it as they want.

3. First prize is S$5000.

Okay, for pure speculation purposes, what the organisers are essentially doing is to pay S$5,000 to get a pool of participants to pick the best out from, and for that S$5000, they can pick and use what they think is best.

Now, you all are asking, what has that to do with (1)? Imagine if all the crappy people sign up and the "best" is still not worth S$5,000? That's why got shortlisting.

Or imagine if NO ONE other than ONE crappy participant signs up. The one wins by default and goes away with S$5,000.

Now, it is apparent why there's the filter in (1).

1. Must submit portfolio and get shortlisted before you are considered a participant.

2. Winning entries must surrender all rights and allow the organiser to use it as they want.

Okay, for pure speculation purposes, what the organisers are essentially doing is to pay S$5,000 to get a pool of participants to pick the best out from, and for that S$5000, they can pick and use what they think is best.

Now, you all are asking, what has that to do with (1)? Imagine if all the crappy people sign up and the "best" is still not worth S$5,000? That's why got shortlisting.

Or imagine if NO ONE other than ONE crappy participant signs up. The one wins by default and goes away with S$5,000.

Now I truly understand. Thanks

Seem to be a better one, at least they didn't mention all entry right will belong to the organiser :sweat:

As a hotel, they can't have more than 10 photographers roaming inside the hotel keep snapping their guest also.

Seem to be a better one, at least they didn't mention all entry right will belong to the organiser :sweat:

As a hotel, they can't have more than 10 photographers roaming inside the hotel keep snapping their guest also.

Only the winning entries rite?? So at the worst case, you sell the pic for $2000? at 2nd prize and $5000 at 1st prize...

It is nothing more than they want more images and pay only $7000 total on it. But if you take it as a fun activity and I am sure it will be fine.

If you take it as paid work then it is in the grey area where they will own all copyrights.

All in all, I think it is in their best interest for doing this kind of competition rather than paying 1 photographer to do the job. It is an expensive exercise to only employ 1 photographer and stuck with what he or she can produce. I think they are looking for variety of images hence it is cheaper to setup things like that.

Regards,

Hart

the portfolio thingy, what kind of shots are they expecting? free theme? how large must we submit? the stupid entry form did not mention.

anybody applied and got shortlisted? they called me and i'm shortlisted.

i did...did they send an email to you? haven't gotten any regarding the details for any pre competition brief

Received a call from them. They said will email me but i have not receive it.
Maybe tomorrow?

Let's hope for the best weather this Saturday!

wah if the pre competition brief is going to be tomorrow..going to be a bit hard for me to get out of camp at such a last minute! unless it's in the evening

Status
Not open for further replies.