Photo Competition - Maybank Tower Through The Seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheChef

Oct 25, 2008
Where the action is
Maybank has been here in Singapore for the past 50 years, journeying alongside Singapore as the nation grew and flourished. As we step into the new decade, we are holding a photo competition themed, "Maybank Tower - Through the Seasons". We welcome pictures taken of Maybank Tower then and now; in colour, black & white or sepia. The pictures can capture Maybank Tower during the many different occasions when special LED light displays are done, or on a bright sunny morning from an interesting perspective.

Your picture should come with a title and a caption of not more than 50 words.
First prize : S$3,000
Second prize : S$2,000
Third prize : S$1,000
7 merit prizes : S$300 each

The closing date for all entries is Monday, 31 January 2011.

For more information, click HERE.

Maybank Group reserves the right to publish or display all entries, with or without the name of the author, for purposes including but not limited to advertising, publicity and exhibition, without payment of any fees to any party or the need for written consent from any party.

Again and again, the same thing is raised.

I ask you:

If you held a competition, would you not want to display the winning entries or selected entries? Does it make sense to you as an organiser that you cannot display the winning entries or even selected entries unless you pay each photog, even if a prize has already been awarded to them?

What's the point of holding a competition if one can't display the entries without further payment to the entrants?

I ask you:

If you held a competition, would you not want to display the winning entries or selected entries? Does it make sense to you as an organiser that you cannot display the winning entries or even selected entries unless you pay each photog, even if a prize has already been awarded to them?

What's the point of holding a competition if one can't display the entries without further payment to the entrants?

why not just hire a professional to do it then?

point is they are operating on a budget. wanna scrimp on here and there:bsmilie:

I ask you:

The point here is, they hold the rights to ALL, and not only the winning entries.
and this rights does not only entitle them to display the images for the purpose of the result of the competition, but instead, any other purposes they deem fit and profitable to them.

If like what you mentioned, they could just have the clause as that the images will only be used in the event that it is linked to the competition and nothing else.

Last edited:
why not just hire a professional to do it then?

point is they are operating on a budget. wanna scrimp on here and there:bsmilie:

You think Maybank, NLB, all the other commercial entities who hold competitions don't have $$$? They run multimillion $$ ad campaigns!

There's a difference between holding a competition and paying an agency.

By the former, many companies believe they are supporting the local photog community by giving them a chance to shine, to excel and better themselves through competition, and by offering them exposure and publicity.

You think they are trying to exploit photogs, yet they see themselves as promoting photography and supporting photogs.

The latter is far different. It's a purely commercial transaction, typically with an ad agency as a middleman.

When you pay an agency, you are guaranteed results. When you hold a competition, you are guaranteed nothing-- it depends on the quality of submissions.

Don't confuse the two. And don't imply that corporates are too stingy or try to exploit photogs.

The point here is, they hold the rights to ALL, and not only the winning entries.
and this rights does not only entitle them to display the images for the purpose of the result of the competition, but instead, any other purposes they deem fit and profitable to them.

If like what you mentioned, they could just have the clause as that the images will only be used in the event that it is linked to the competition and nothing else.

I think you should interpret the clauses in the context of the competition. Advertising, promotion and exhibition should be related to the competition.

And if your entries are lousy, do you really expect anyone to want to use it?

You think Maybank, NLB, all the other commercial entities who hold competitions don't have $$$? They run multimillion $$ ad campaigns!

By the former, many companies believe they are supporting the local photog community by giving them a chance to shine, to excel and better themselves through competition, and by offering them exposure and publicity.

You think they are trying to exploit photogs, yet they see themselves as promoting photography and supporting photogs.

The latter is far different. It's a purely commercial transaction, typically with an ad agency as a middleman.

When you pay an agency, you are guaranteed results. When you hold a competition, you are guaranteed nothing-- it depends on the quality of submissions.

Don't confuse the two. And don't imply that corporates are too stingy or try to exploit photogs.

I think you should interpret the clauses in the context of the competition. Advertising, promotion and exhibition should be related to the competition.

well, seems like we are just on the different side of the field :D

why dun u submit?:bsmilie: maybe if u dun win, and they decide to use ur photo for their next newspaper advert, i see how u react.

get serious. if it was sincerely for the benefit of promoting photography, look at how other competitions that are recognised for their quality and standard do it.

SYPA
The Organiser reserves the right to reproduce any entries or use it for publication, publicity and exhibition purposes related to the Award, without payment of any fees to the author. However, relevant credit will be given to the author.

SAFRA photographer of the year
thhe organiser reserves the rights to reproduce, publish or exhibit winning and selected entries for non-commercial publicity purposes without payment of any fee.

these are clauses that i can adhere and are not out to make use of photographers

but this...

Maybank Group reserves the right to publish or display all entries, with or without the name of the author, for purposes including but not limited to advertising, publicity and exhibition, without payment of any fees to any party or the need for written consent from any party.

Last edited:

I ask you:

hi, you don't understand, is ALL ENTRIES

let me put this straight to you, maybank pays the amount they pay for all the prizes. you can do the calculations.

every. single. entry. they. can. use.

so yes, the winners very happy, especially the top prize, i agree it's a nice prize. cash some more, very good. but to me, it is necessary to at the very least HIGHLIGHT this to people who wish to enter. this is to educate people, so that they won't kbkb later on, when maybank uses their photos for free, and they didn't win any prize, then they cry bloody murder.

so don't get me wrong - you like, you enter. me, i'm still deciding, i haven't decided. inclined not to though. but i can highlight that line, right? it's part of the competition rules and i'm not putting words in maybank's mouth? no? good. so i don't see why you're so upset... you like to enter, you enter. you think it's fine, good for you. not everyone is you, better learn that quickly, life will be easier. cheers.

Last edited:
why dun u submit?:bsmilie: maybe if u dun win, and they decide to use ur photo for their next newspaper advert, i see how u react.

get serious. if it was sincerely for the benefit of promoting photography, look at how other competitions that are recognised for their quality and standard do it.

SYPA

SAFRA photographer of the year

these are clauses that i can adhere and are not out to make use of photographers

but this...

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::D

my question to you, Xtol19, is:

why can't they use the alternative clauses that allen has highlighted?

if indeed, "not nice" as you say, can't be used, if never win, maybank won't take a second look... then tell me, why that catch-all phrase?

your logic is not sound, because... you make the erroneous assumption that if a entry doesn't win, it's worthless. that's nonsense - are you telling me that singapore can only produce X number of decent works relating to the maybank tower? or then suddenly, after the last merit prize has been awarded, the standard of pictures drops to ground zero? don't think so.

i do think there is a need to push for these catch-all phrases to be discarded. because if as you say, never win means no value to company, they don't need it. and if it's otherwise, then it's exploitation. so in the former case, it's lose-lose to use such a clause. the company doesn't get as many entries, because some people will be affected by that phrase. in the latter case, i'm sure we, as a photographic community, don't want to see that happen. hence, in all situations, as photographers, we shouldn't agree with that phrase. simple? hope so.

Last edited:
got nothing to do and nothing to lose then join lor

I ask you:

For everyone's sake, I really hope you enter the competition and get screwed 2000 times over. If you haven't got the slightest respect for your work, don't expect others to follow suit. You are a bloody disgrace.

every competition also have some comments about the T&Cs! i think a lot of CSers can make good lawyers! :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Which scenario do you think is more likely:

Scenario 1

Ad exec to Marketing Director: "Hey, lets organise a photo "competition" under the guise of our 50th anniv. I heard it's a great way to get fantastic photos and pay peanuts compared to hiring an ad agency! We can use the entries for the next 10 years for our corporate image bank. What do you say?"

Marketing Director to Ad exec: "Great idea, Tan! Lets do it! I'll push for your promotion this year, you have such great ideas!"

Scenario 2

Ad exec to Marketing Director: "We got to think of something to do for our 50th anniv, something that will create some buzz and excitement. Hey, how about a photo competition? We'll give cash prizes, and if the entries are any good, we'll be able to hold an exhibition and show them in our annual report. If the entries suck we'll just forget it."

Marketing Director to Ad exec: "Great idea, Tan! But make sure you clear the T's&C's with Legal."

Ad exec to Marketing Director: "I tried very hard, but Legal said must put in a widely-worded clause to cover our asss. Just in case we want to show the winning pix in more than just the exhibition and in our annual report. They said you never know what MD might want to do with the pix."

Marketing Director to Ad Exec: "OK lah, bopian, for this kind of $5,000 issue I don't want to go and fight Legal."

my entry

5285889362_8d25d3e79a_b.jpg

I hate it when I post using phone. dun mind my typos.

now first. let me point out to u,: scenario 1 is actually more likely over 2, maybe less the extremism. maybank I hardly doubt would be so nice to do it for promoting passion. just not realistic.

and the problem.with ur scenario 2 is, ur only saying winning entries. ur still thinking.good photos are winning entries. if it was so, as nightmare said, could limit the usage just to selected photos. but why the all! if h have 3 prizes, but 100 standard close ohotos, who ultimately benifits?

u do the math.

with all due respect, everybody got their own opinion, and they have the right for it.

for those who would like to enter the competition, good luck, hope you'll win it,

but if you don't win any prize and find your photo used in some ads or magazine without your name mentioned, don't come cry & complain about it here, as the others already warned you about it.

Photo contests, like any other kind of contests (eg essay competitions, children's art drawing competitions, even marathons as held by Stanchart), are designed to create buzz and publicity first and foremost. If you think they come into this thinking they will get a bunch of juicy photos they can use for the next 10 years, all it shows is you have never worked in Marketing.

Status
Not open for further replies.