Photo Competition LCA2005!


Status
Not open for further replies.

ntupvs

New Member
Jan 8, 2004
28
0
0
NTU
www.ntu.edu.sg
#1
NTU Photo-Videographic Society's photo competition, "Lights, Camera, Action 2005!" is back!
The theme this year is "Essence of Life". The submission of pictures has been made a whole lot more convenient this year, with online submission of picture files.

Deadline for submissions is 31 December 2005. Top prize is a Nikon D50 DSLR set!



For more information, please see http://www.LCA2005.com


Thanks!
 

ortega

Moderator
Staff member
Nov 2, 2004
23,694
10
38
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
#2
Can you please explain this clause

"16. The Photo-Videographic Society of NTU reserves the right to use the winning entries for publicity, or reproduce the images submitted for any artistic or meaningful purposes. The photographer will be acknowledged without the payment of any fees to him."

What does "any artistic or meaningful purposes" mean?
 

ntupvs

New Member
Jan 8, 2004
28
0
0
NTU
www.ntu.edu.sg
#3
ortega said:
Can you please explain this clause

"16. The Photo-Videographic Society of NTU reserves the right to use the winning entries for publicity, or reproduce the images submitted for any artistic or meaningful purposes. The photographer will be acknowledged without the payment of any fees to him."

What does "any artistic or meaningful purposes" mean?
Thank you for your interest, Ortega.

The clause indicates that the pictures may be used for any exhibitions later which would be meant at invoking certain emotions or thoughts in the viewers. Also, under "meaningful purposes" the pictures may be used for any form of fund raising where profits would totally go towards the relief effort/charitable organization/refugee centre.


NTUPVS
 

fWord

Senior Member
Jun 23, 2005
3,350
0
0
35
Melbourne, Australia
#7
Just a query to clarify this point with regards to resolution...

"6. All photographs should be 300dpi and at least of size 2000 pixels by 1325 pixels. Photographs which are low in print quality would be disqualified."

I'm not well-versed with printing terminology, but isn't a standard photo from a digital camera only 72dpi?
 

Zerstorer

Senior Member
Jul 8, 2002
3,437
0
0
#8
fWord said:
Just a query to clarify this point with regards to resolution...

"6. All photographs should be 300dpi and at least of size 2000 pixels by 1325 pixels. Photographs which are low in print quality would be disqualified."

I'm not well-versed with printing terminology, but isn't a standard photo from a digital camera only 72dpi?
I think there's some misconception here that should be clarified. dpi comes into play only when you have an output device. 72dpi is just an arbitrary figure. Images displayed on moniters can range from 72dpi to 100dpi or more depending on the resolution and size of the moniter in use.

In this case, since its an online submission(not print submission). There shouldn't be a dpi requirement there at all. So I think we can safely ignore it and the organisers might want to consider removing that.

A digital image is quantified only in terms of the number of pixels it has.
 

Yjx

New Member
Apr 3, 2004
119
0
0
NUS. S'pore
#9
Zerstorer said:
.....

A digital image is quantified only in terms of the number of pixels it has.
Agree.
By the way, there is no maximum pixel ?
Will this submission be exhibited? If so, what size ah?:dunno:
Cuz, I think the ultimate output size will determine at least how many pixels will be needed right?
 

fotoudavid

Senior Member
Mar 11, 2005
2,158
3
38
#10
exatly what are we suppose to shoot?
 

vincenthau

New Member
Apr 26, 2005
394
0
0
Sengkang
#11
smurfman said:
exatly what are we suppose to shoot?
you have to see yourself what is essential of life? different people have their own thinking
 

Yjx

New Member
Apr 3, 2004
119
0
0
NUS. S'pore
#12
vincenthau said:
you have to see yourself what is essential of life? different people have their own thinking
i think its essence...
 

ntupvs

New Member
Jan 8, 2004
28
0
0
NTU
www.ntu.edu.sg
#14
barracuda said:
Rule 3. Participants must be residing in Singapore for the duration of the competition.

does it mean the photographes must be taken in singapore?
Hello Barracuda.

The pictures can be taken anywhere but just remain contactable via the usual means so that we can get you if there should be any problems with the entries. Another reason for restricting to people residing in Singapore is to eliminate any problems we might face should the winner be living overseas because it would be hard for us to proof to the auditors and authorities that the winner does exist and that he/she has received the prize.



NTUPVS
 

ntupvs

New Member
Jan 8, 2004
28
0
0
NTU
www.ntu.edu.sg
#15
Zerstorer said:
I think there's some misconception here that should be clarified. dpi comes into play only when you have an output device. 72dpi is just an arbitrary figure. Images displayed on moniters can range from 72dpi to 100dpi or more depending on the resolution and size of the moniter in use.

In this case, since its an online submission(not print submission). There shouldn't be a dpi requirement there at all. So I think we can safely ignore it and the organisers might want to consider removing that.

A digital image is quantified only in terms of the number of pixels it has.
Thank you for pointing that out Zerstorer. The webmaster would be removing that dpi detail soon.


NTUPVS
 

ntupvs

New Member
Jan 8, 2004
28
0
0
NTU
www.ntu.edu.sg
#16
smurfman said:
exatly what are we suppose to shoot?
Hello smurfman.

As with the theme, "Essence of Life"

It is explained on the website the rationale for the theme as I quote,

"Although we are in the 21st century, there is still much conflict, poverty and hunger going on around the world. People are being afflicted with epidemics, subjected to becoming victims of war and children are simply having their innocence robbed away from them. The theme this year, “Essence of Life” brings us back to the very basics of life, be it in survival, emotional or spiritual needs, etc. The competition aims for the photographer to reflect on the situations in the world, and deconstruct the material-seeking world in his mind to capture pictures that render the basic environment at its most intrinsic, and pure."

All the best for the competition.



NTUPVS
 

fWord

Senior Member
Jun 23, 2005
3,350
0
0
35
Melbourne, Australia
#18
Zerstorer said:
I think there's some misconception here that should be clarified. dpi comes into play only when you have an output device. 72dpi is just an arbitrary figure. Images displayed on moniters can range from 72dpi to 100dpi or more depending on the resolution and size of the moniter in use.

In this case, since its an online submission(not print submission). There shouldn't be a dpi requirement there at all. So I think we can safely ignore it and the organisers might want to consider removing that.

A digital image is quantified only in terms of the number of pixels it has.
Thank you. Yes, I hope that they'll remove that soon if it's really a mistake. Initially this really confused me, and I thought of simply copying my picture onto another canvas in Photoshop with the DPI set to 300.

Well, I'll try my hands at this competition as well, much as I know that I won't even come close to winning.:bsmilie:
 

Yjx

New Member
Apr 3, 2004
119
0
0
NUS. S'pore
#19
sorry, so was wondering again, how will these photos be presented finally?
I think this will allow us to know what is the appropraite size to send.
Thanx.
 

ntupvs

New Member
Jan 8, 2004
28
0
0
NTU
www.ntu.edu.sg
#20
Yjx said:
sorry, so was wondering again, how will these photos be presented finally?
I think this will allow us to know what is the appropraite size to send.
Thanx.
Hello Yjx.

Please submit pictures at least of 2000 by 1325 pixels in size. That would do.





NTUPVS
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom