Photo Clam PT-024 tripod and Pro-30NSP head review with GT1541T + KPS NT30A reference

Vulpix0r

Oct 2, 2002
West
Hello everyone, I was passed this tripod for a review so I intend to do just that. Please bear with my amateurish review.

ThMFE.jpg

The top tripod is the famous Gitzo GT1541T which needs no introduction, and I paired it up with the KPS NT30A head which was original a NT40. It was too big, so I decided to downsize it. From the pictures, you can see both tripods are nearly the same in length folded up.

undYC.jpg

This is the leg lock for the PT-024. I actually like it a lot, because it requires minimal effort to fold the legs up. All I need to do is just give it a light pull down and I was able to flip the legs up and down. The Gitzo is using a sideway kind of lever.

lc1nu.jpg

The Pro-30NSP tripod head. It's very smooth, and seems to have no problem with me hanging a 6kg weight off it and tilted to the side. The max load for this head is 20kg.

JKB4z.jpg

The leg locks. I found it not as smooth as my Gitzo, but then again my Gitzo has been well used for a long time and has probably been "seasoned". But no complaints about the leg locks, the locks have a good feel and you know when to stop, unlike many other tripods where you tend to be unaware you might be over-tightening.

doipD.jpg

Just an observation. The Gitzo surface area covered by the legs is a lot bigger than the Photo Clams. The Photo Clams do not open up that much compared to the Gitzo after properly unlocking both tripods. Something you might want to note.

WTQay.jpg

Now the difference shows. The Photo Clam is slightly taller by around 5-8cm after both tripods are fully extended (excluding center column). Interesting how both have the same folded height but the Photo Clam is slightly taller after extending. The Gitzo's bottom most legs feel a little more sturdier than the Photo Clam. There is less wobble, but the difference isn't much.

So yeah, the Photo Clam combo cost around SG$500+/- in Korea, not too sure how much it will cost here, but overall, it's extremely good value for money, and well built. It's no Gitzo, but it sure is pretty close.

Specs of the PT-024:
Max height : 47.83"(1215mm)
Max extended height :56.29"(1430mm)
folded length : 18.50"(470mm)
Min height : 2.36"(60mm)
Weight : 1.76lbs(0.8kg)
Max load : 13.22lbs(6kg)
Leg section : 4
Composition : Carbon Tripod,Tripod Case,six angles wrench 2ea,micro plate

Specs for Pro-30NSP
66.1 lb Load Capacity
Arca-Style Quick Release
Separate Pan Base and Ball-Locking Knobs
90° Tilt
Weighs Just 0.65 lb

Pro-30NSP tripod head .... does that come with the tripod(s) or seperately ?

niceeeeee !! :)

not u la TS ha ha
dereg'ed an overseas retailer in the deleted posts above

I just came back to this thread...i saw "De-reg" i tio chua!!

So that mean the tripod n ball head combo is about $500 in Korea ?

Can't really find the exact combination on gmarket sg. They only sell the pt124 and another ballhead - can't remember which one

Can't really find the exact combination on gmarket sg. They only sell the pt124 and another ballhead - can't remember which one

Hrmmm, from what I understand shops in Korea usually bundle these two together. Maybe the online shops prefer to sell both items separately? Am I allowed to post eBay or gmarket links here?

no .... if you want to start a Mass Order you can do it in the Members' Mass Order section

this is a review section of the forum and would like to keep all this where-to-buy and whats-the-price talk to a minimum ... hope you understand

thanks for understanding

p/s if people are interested enough, they should already know how to google this on ebay and do the necessary search for the store u mentioned

Last edited:
no .... if you want to start a Mass Order you can do it in the Members' Mass Order section

this is a review section of the forum and would like to keep all this where-to-buy and whats-the-price talk to a minimum ... hope you understand

thanks for understanding

p/s if people are interested enough, they should already know how to google this on ebay and do the necessary search for the store u mentioned

Nah, I not starting a mass order or anything. That's why just ask if can post. If cannot, people will just have to depend on google like you said. :)

no worries bro' ..... already allowed the mention of gmarket twice already (oops 3 time now with this post) ...... allowance already given ha ha

... and I would like to keep your review STRONG and independent which scores very highly from a neutral, unbiased, user perspective .... factors that a reader will value very strongly... and more importantly respect (you)

Last edited:
no worries bro' ..... already allowed the mention of gmarket twice already (oops 3 time now with this post) ...... allowance already given ha ha

... and I would like to keep your review STRONG and independent which scores very highly from a neutral, unbiased, user perspective .... factors that a reader will value very strongly... and more importantly respect (you)

Yep, that's why my review I referenced a Gitzo tripod that I also own so I won't look like I am a Photo Clam salesperson haha... :bsmilie:

What I have been hearing is that the photoclam tripods are contract manufactured by Sirui. And the Sirui Kx series ballheads were designed by Photoclam. Not sure how true it is.