Photo advice needed for those who have been to New Zealand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Priscilia

Deregistered
Jun 20, 2006
Hi

I know best way to get all the nice shots is probably to rent a car and explore on my own. But I'm definitely not familiar with the roads there and have heard some can be very winding and narrow. *gasp* Not such a proficient driver. :embrass:

Are there any good alternatives to explore some of the nicer places on foot or public transport?

I hope those who have been to NZ can provide me with some advice.

With gratitude...!!

Hi,

The only way to see NZ is self drive and you can pull aside when you see beautiful scenery for photo taking.
South Island have more sceneries and some areas, there are winding roads, certain areas you will be travelling beside ravine and going through gorge, uphill, downhill and some hairpin curves but the sceneries are breadth taking. Drive with care and you will really enjoy your holidays. Be careful, some area, the road is so straight that you can fall asleep while driving.

Go on a tour bus if you cannot drive but you cannot stop where you want. Fixed timing and places to visit and the "hurry up" call.

When in North or South Island, go to the AANZ office, show your AAS membership card and you can get discounts on maps and instructions on how to get to the places of interest. Remember to apply for your International driving licence fro AAS.

Hope this helps.

jamesong said:
Hi,

The only way to see NZ is self drive and you can pull aside when you see beautiful scenery for photo taking.
South Island have more sceneries and some areas, there are winding roads, certain areas you will be travelling beside ravine and going through gorge, uphill, downhill and some hairpin curves but the sceneries are breadth taking. Drive with care and you will really enjoy your holidays. Be careful, some area, the road is so straight that you can fall asleep while driving.

Go on a tour bus if you cannot drive but you cannot stop where you want. Fixed timing and places to visit and the "hurry up" call.

When in North or South Island, go to the AANZ office, show your AAS membership card and you can get discounts on maps and instructions on how to get to the places of interest. Remember to apply for your International driving licence fro AAS.

Hope this helps.

Well, I drove myself around for a couple of days in North island and the longest journey was from Lake Taupo to Henderson, Auckland. That was like almost 370 Km ++ and honestly, it would be good if you had a back up driver/good map reader(navigator), music and some snacks/drinks to keep you going. (Which luckily i had)

In fact, the freedom afforded is quite refreshing. We came across a fish & chip shop advert claiming to be the best in NZ and we decided to drive there and it was almost a 1.5 hr detour but when we got there, it was well worth it. We faced the sea, cradling our steaming hot fish & chips and helping nursing chilled lemonade while we took in the cries of the birds and the roar of the waves against the beach... The kumara chips and the tangy tartar sauce coupled the freshly batter fried fillet was well worth the drive... :heart:

Anyhow, rental is quite reasonable i reckon and as for being a proficient driver, i think all it takes is some confidence in yourself (and of course, a good driving partner/navigator) :) The roads out of the main city areas are quite navigable and of course, the drivers in non city areas are quite courteous and friendly. However, if we are talking abt driving in the city then it's a bit less forgiving. :sweat:

Good luck! :)

A good alternative is to bus/train between the major towns, then pick up a car for a day or two to explore the nearby areas. It's always good to have more than 1 driver, because the driver usually misses out a lot of the scenery. A navigator with good map reading skills is also essential!

The roads there are pretty easy to drive, and will tempt you to up your speed once you are out onto the freeways. :p But watch out for the traffic police!

best way is to self-drive for photography. NZ is right-hand drive same as singapore so it is ok.
anyway the drivers keep to the speed limit of 100km on highway and 50km in city/town. if you are lost just head to the nearest highway and oriented yourself to the map.

What equipment will you bring? I may want to go during december and self drive. I was there more than 10 years ago taking bus and stayed in youth hostels. I remember its all scenery and nothing else.
http://singaporephoto.blogspot.com

Hi Honda,

U thinking of self-drive ah.. Hmm, a "crazy" thot here... Can i come along? :eek: I'm planning to go with a friend. But it's not easy to find people who are into photography. For those who are not, they may find us bothersome taking too much time just to take a picture. :bsmilie:

Problem is, I seriously doubt I'm up to the driving part... My friend and I can of course chip in the cost of rental or maybe even pay slightly higher to be fair to you...

Yes, NZ is a beautiful place

Priscilia said:
Hi

I know best way to get all the nice shots is probably to rent a car and explore on my own. But I'm definitely not familiar with the roads there and have heard some can be very winding and narrow. *gasp* Not such a proficient driver. :embrass:

Are there any good alternatives to explore some of the nicer places on foot or public transport?

I hope those who have been to NZ can provide me with some advice.

With gratitude...!!

Hello Priscilla,

Driving is not difficult in NZ if you practise road safety. Three months after I pass my driving, my wife and I went on a five weeks honeymoon in Australia and NZ. It includes two driving trip (I have never driven after the driving test and my newly wed wife does not have a license then). The first was in Tasmania and the second in the North Island of NZ.

A few years back, prior to our marriage, we have visited NZ with a local tour group and covers both island during the Nov Dec "Early Summer" period.

A few years after our honeymoon, we went on a 10 days driving trip in the Southern Island with my Mum-in-law. This happens in the Apr-May "Fall" period.

The South Island is most beautiful during the Spring Summer period. Most suitable for photography. Colours of the landscape is so saturated and vibrant and the snowcapped mountain are more beautiful to photograph.

Maps are easily available in the Tourist Information Office and usually FOC. You can also find such infor booth even in smaller towns.

If you can read a map then its rather difficult to get lost.

Driving will give you the time to stay longer in places that you like and places that's in accessible by other public transport.

Have fun.

Since63, thanks for the reassurance. R u a proficient driver to begin with? I know some people don't have a license but they can already drive better than those who have! When they did decide to take their driving tests, they usually passed the first time. Really admire such people. I think they have the natural skill and confidence/boldness in driving.

I only passed slightly less than 2 yrs ago and have only driven ard here twice since then. On both occasions, I could feel my skills ain't that good and I'm constantly very conscious of my driving. So I'm quite apprehensive about driving overseas, especially since they've got their own road signs and I really dunno anything about their roads or what to expect (heard could be narrow, winding at times).

But what gave me the creeps is when I read newspaper stories about accidents (some fatal) which happened when Sporean drivers (experienced ones I assume!) drive overseas.

In fact, I just got to know from a colleague, while discussing driving with him, a member of CS (dunno his name, Caleb is it???) met with a bad accident while in the US? His dad was in critical condition then and his mum unfortunately, passed away. Sorry to hear that.

I went with my photographer to NZ for 2 weeks to shoot wedding photos. My photogapher was a very experienced driver and he handled all the driving. I have been driving for like 6 years and I don't think I will be comfortable handling the mountain roads. Normal highways ok lah. The problem is that the scenic routes which we took are all mountain roads.... Our car skidded on a gravel road when we drove deap into the mountains to take the pictures. It was quite scary, luckily never skid OFF the road else... It all depends on which roads you take. Example I am pretty confident going from Christchurch to queenstown on the highway but probably uncomfortable handling the west coast or up kaka point on the east coast or deep into Mount cook.

but it is really nice. We would start the day by putting all the makeup and stuff then hop into the car and drove to the next hotel. Along the way anything nice, the photographer will get all of us off and take photos :)

The best photos are all unplanned, like a little house along the road.

you can see my wedding photos in NZ at pisduck.com under galleries.

The most economical way to travel NZ is in a party of 4, share one car, share one 2 bedroom apartment. I really want to visit it again in spring as I went in summer, no snow cap mountains.

Wolfgang said:
In fact, the freedom afforded is quite refreshing. We came across a fish & chip shop advert claiming to be the best in NZ and we decided to drive there and it was almost a 1.5 hr detour but when we got there, it was well worth it. We faced the sea, cradling our steaming hot fish & chips and helping nursing chilled lemonade while we took in the cries of the birds and the roar of the waves against the beach... The kumara chips and the tangy tartar sauce coupled the freshly batter fried fillet was well worth the drive... :heart:

I had similar experience but different ending. We got a recommendation that the fish and chip shop at Bluff, right at the southermost tip of the south Island was the BEST in NZ. We drove like more than 2 hours... and it was like so-so... :(

Priscilia...I cant agree more with the guys that one of the best ways to capture beautiful NZ is to drive. However, driving in a foreign country just mean you need to do your homework before driving off. Pick up or study the NZ highway codes, which can be found in most of their tourist maps. Get used to the 'strange' symbols which are not found here. When you are faced with coastal roads, where the cliff is next to you :sweat:, pls drive safely. Approaching the bridge along the coastal roads, do find out who has the right of way...as there is only room for one vehicle. Oh...gravel roads need to be driven with caution as hard braking can cause your vehicle to skid... I skidded but luckily noone was injured as my ex-gf, her roommate and aunty was in the car..scared the living sh** out of them :sweat: You will be more skilful after driving overseas..really, it's a rest...but well worth it

If you love dolphins, like me...you have to visit PAHIA ...where you will find wild dolphins and whales. I had a wonderful and unforgettable experience when I drove during my last trip...covered quite a bit. You will never regret it. If you are bold enuff, they will let you into the waters to swim with the dolphins - of cos with a life jacket ! ..... the water could be chilly ...so do take care :)..you will meet cheeky dolphins ..who say they cant identify a pretty babe when they see one ..... :bsmilie:

I hope you will have a wonderful time there.

Take Care and do remember to share your fotos !

Priscilia said:
Since63, thanks for the reassurance. R u a proficient driver to begin with? I know some people don't have a license but they can already drive better than those who have! When they did decide to take their driving tests, they usually passed the first time. Really admire such people. I think they have the natural skill and confidence/boldness in driving.

I only passed slightly less than 2 yrs ago and have only driven ard here twice since then. On both occasions, I could feel my skills ain't that good and I'm constantly very conscious of my driving. So I'm quite apprehensive about driving overseas, especially since they've got their own road signs and I really dunno anything about their roads or what to expect (heard could be narrow, winding at times).

But what gave me the creeps is when I read newspaper stories about accidents (some fatal) which happened when Sporean drivers (experienced ones I assume!) drive overseas.

In fact, I just got to know from a colleague, while discussing driving with him, a member of CS (dunno his name, Caleb is it???) met with a bad accident while in the US? His dad was in critical condition then and his mum unfortunately, passed away. Sorry to hear that.

Priscilla...I was an inexperience driver and we were given a auto car and I did not know how to use the gear. Anyway we did ok, as we were did not rush from place to place and pace ourselve well.

Remember that each driver should not drive more than two hours a stretch. In our South Island trip, had done that and almost doze off while driving. Also too much driving within a day will cause you fatigue too.

Most of the bridges have only one lane and the cars will take turns to cross it. Always slow down when approaching bridge, road junction, circles and tunnel...so that you have more time to judge and react.

Had always use the maps provide free either by the car rental or the tourist information, don't remember buying a driving map or learning their highway code. But if that makes you more comfortable then do it.

I have also read about all those driving accident but that did not stop us from self-drive holidays. Most of our holidays are self-drive.

Couple of things we enjoy...
1) TRy all sorts of accomodations (we brought my Mother-in-Law to try B&B, backpackers lodging and motels). B&B is great and usually with homecook breakfast!
2) Buff oyster. My wife loves it even though she don't fancy oyster.
3) Lobster in Kaikora. My Mother-in-law still recounts about it!

Others can be find from the website: http://www.newzealand.com/travel/

Ps. I passed my driving on my second attempt. : )

Status
Not open for further replies.