Philips 240PW9EB/69 or Dell 2408WFP LCD monitor for photo use

Status
Not open for further replies.

song

Feb 23, 2002
homex.coolconnect.com
Hi,

Philips has the new H-IPS panel at 739 at challenger with no dead pixel gurantee from challenger. Howevewr, the dell is a S-PVA panel at 860. The dell has HDMI ,S-video, DVI and VGA input. As for the philips, it is only VGA and DVI.

I am torn betweent eh 2. Can i have some advise from fellow clubsnapper?

thanks
song

If IPS panel is more advance and expensive, why is it that Philips with IPS panel is cheaper than Dell model which is PVA panel. Any comments from Experts. I want one that is best in color reproduction so that i can view and edit some photos.

I'm using a 2408WFP Ultrasharp - which is an 8 bit monitor, and I have no regrets. Just opened it out of the box, put my Spyder 2 and realised that at neutral settings, I don't need any further calibration. Yes, and this is one of the monitors which are not hardware calibrated.

The only thing that I find which may be an issue is the input lag - which is simply because I play games on it.

Go check this page at anandtech out: http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=3302&p=

Anway I got mine at 859 with 5 yrs warranty from Dell Direct during Sitex.

thanks.

But they are people who regretted that DEll change their 2408WFP from IPS panel to PVA, somewhere crossing from 2007 to 2008. They said that PVA is inferior to IPS. If this is the case, Philips being an IPS panel with a lower price tag would be a better choice?? Is the IPS and PVA panel so significant? Or Dell PVA is better than Philips IPS panel??

Hope to get comments on this particular issue.

thanks

If IPS panel is more advance and expensive, why is it that Philips with IPS panel is cheaper than Dell model which is PVA panel. Any comments from Experts. I want one that is best in color reproduction so that i can view and edit some photos.

cos the Philips one only have DVI & VGA input.

Dell one comes with component, composite, s-video(iirc), HDMI, DVI, VGA, etc inputs.

but we buy this kind of expensive panel for the sick of photo and color reproduction. That being the case, IPS panel without the extras at a lower price would be the best buy for someone who wants to spend the least and get the best color reproduction that his 800bucks can buy?

Can we also say that Philips IPS LCD is technically more superior than dell 2408WFP , at least on paper?

but we buy this kind of expensive panel for the sick of photo and color reproduction. That being the case, IPS panel without the extras at a lower price would be the best buy for someone who wants to spend the least and get the best color reproduction that his 800bucks can buy?

Can we also say that Philips IPS LCD is technically more superior than dell 2408WFP , at least on paper?

i'm not someone who can determine that, but i think from reviews, take at face value, yes, IPS better than PVA. so Philips better than Dell.

thanks.

But they are people who regretted that DEll change their 2408WFP from IPS panel to PVA, somewhere crossing from 2007 to 2008. They said that PVA is inferior to IPS. If this is the case, Philips being an IPS panel with a lower price tag would be a better choice?? Is the IPS and PVA panel so significant? Or Dell PVA is better than Philips IPS panel??

Hope to get comments on this particular issue.

thanks
24" Dell has always been PVA. It's the 20" that used to be IPS (then PVA, now TN).

Was it a big difference? To me it was. I stuck with the 2001FP when I sent it in for a repair job despite Dell replacing it with a new 2005FP simply because of that.

Last edited:
I am using the Dell 2408 WFP Rev A0. I think its a great monitor despite being a S-PVA panel. Full of features and whatnot. DVI, HDMI, component-in, VGA, 9-1 card reader. Value for money I would say. The only problem I had was the oversaturated reds which can be easily rectified by using a monitor calibrating device. The other 'problem' (dunno if its a problem for photographers) is the noticable lag. I play Crysis when I am sick of editing pictures so sometimes it bothers me when I get fragged. Sometimes.

Anyway, don't be fooled by what is written on paper. I suggest you go down to the shop and see for yourself. In case you can't find any Dell 2408 samples around, go to the Samsung shop at Funan and check out their 24" model which has the same S-PVA panel in the Dell's. I can bet that you can't tell the difference between the S-PVA and other S-IPS panels. I remembered my iMac 24" had a S-IPS panel but it was such a disaster. Light bleeding at all 4 corners, uneven brightness from left to right, too bright to calibrate..etc. For the Philips, I dunno. I never really like Philips LCDs so I am kinda biased against anything by Philips. Sorry if I am not being much help there.

So my conclusion is, go down to the shop and let your eyes decide which suits you better. Hope that helps and best of luck finding the monitor of your choice.

Last edited:
I bought the philips IPS last week and its superb.. colours are vivid...

Its bigger than i thought though. i was a little suspicious on the lower pricing, but i'm not disappointed. i also considered the dell on, but the price kind of detered me and i have no use for the extra ports on the dell since i only do photo editing... i'd recommend the philips one to anyone...

I absolutely do not suggest LG. My previous experience with their 22inch LCD is that even when they quote "2ms" for the response time, the screen still lag like crazy. Even my laptop screen was better. Colour accuracy is out, not to mention colour temperature was so off, that the Spyder2 causes colour cast to the picture. But it is cheap, for photo editing, no way.

Hmm... i'm currently using a 22 incher LG W2252TQ (upgraded from a LG 19 incher that was bought about 3 years ago) and have not ran into the lag issue that you just mentioned. There could be a number of factors to that, not "just" the 2ms. It could be your processor, your graphics card, the game you're playing and the settings being used. :)

As for photo editing, I've no issue with it either. Have mine calibrated with i1 Display 2. I must say though that my vision isn't 20/20 and my color recognition may just be so-so... but really, I've got no issue with this model's color reproduction. :)

:Later,

Hmm... i'm currently using a 22 incher LG W2252TQ (upgraded from a LG 19 incher that was bought about 3 years ago) and have not ran into the lag issue that you just mentioned. There could be a number of factors to that, not "just" the 2ms. It could be your processor, your graphics card, the game you're playing and the settings being used. :)

As for photo editing, I've no issue with it either. Have mine calibrated with i1 Display 2. I must say though that my vision isn't 20/20 and my color recognition may just be so-so... but really, I've got no issue with this model's color reproduction. :)

:Later,

The LG display is L226WTQ and not the series that you are using. My graphic card at that point of time was a HD2900XT, that card cost me a fortune. Seriously do not suspect is my card's problem. I used my laptop's HDMI output to duplicate the displays to exactly 1680x1050 on both devices, lappie running a Geforce 9600M chipset and still lagging when compared to my laptop's (Asus M50Vm) screen. Now I use the L226WTQ it for non-critical purposes only.

What's the warranty policies like for the major LCD brands?

Status
Not open for further replies.