Philadelphia in May - need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

petetherock

Oct 9, 2006
Hi friends
I will be in USA for a meeting and have given myself 3 nights in PHL as a reward. I wonder if friends here can give some tips and advice on thing to do there.

I like food, quiet places, street scenes and shopping for hi fi.

I will probably visit the Liberty Bell and maybe do the National Treasure Movie trail, but otherwise I have no other specific plans.

Please help....

Thanks

After the Liberty Bell, go south across Market Street to Independence Hall, where the Declaration of Independence was signed.

While you're in Center City, you should try the various kinds of food at Reading Terminal Market, around 12th and Filbert Streets, around 8 blocks west. You'll find almost any kind of food from the region. Just east of Reading Terminal Market is Philly's China Town.

I can't tell you a good place to go directly in the city but you should find a good place that sells Italian Hoagies and another that sells Cheese Steaks. These are particular to Philadelphia, so you should taste the best that you can find without going into more dangerous places. I got my sandwiches in places where you probably don't want to go.

You should also visit the City Hall at Broad and Market Streets and take the tour, if it's available. Northwest of there is the Rodin Museum, the Franklin Institute, and the Museum of Art. Other places aren't quite so easy to reach, though public transportation is available and can get you round the city relatively quickly.

http://www.philly.com/
http://www.septa.org/
http://cbs3.com/

Thanks, I will be going pretty close to you actually, I have a meeting in FT Lauderdale. Most useful info!

You're welcome. I lived around Philly for 8 years, so I've been a lot of places. It likely has the best food in the country, but you have to travel a bit to find it all. You might find the people rude, but most Philadelphians are very caring underneath the rough surface.

If you have other questions, feel free to ask.

I got a cheap hotel near the airport, near Eastwick Stn, how easy is it to communte to the city and walk around there and come back at night. Is it safe at night?

I save easily USD 60 by staying out of the city. Thanks

Eastwick isn't very safe. It's possible that there won't be a problem waiting for the train but check with the hotel staff as they probably use it. The airport train line (R1) is what you would be using. You'd have to check the schedule via telephone once you arrive. It's probably 45 minutes behind the schedule. The airport line goes to Suburban Station at 15th. You could walk underground until the Market East station around 8th street and go directly into the Gallery Mall from about 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Things have probably changed somewhat, so you should ask the clerks at the hotel. You can see the whole train map here.

The Center City area is fairly safe. Don't look like a target and you'll be fine. Don't trust strangers, of course.

I got a cheap hotel near the airport, near Eastwick Stn, how easy is it to communte to the city and walk around there and come back at night. Is it safe at night?

I save easily USD 60 by staying out of the city. Thanks

only relatively safe place in philly at night is the city center and university area (around 37th Street). don't go wandering into the residential neighbourhoods.

city center is pretty much closed at night, plus there's not much to do there anyway. there's some food there I guess.

university area would be open but May is exam time plus graduation ceremonies.

May is a good time to be there with spring going into summer.

actually you might want to consider to take a day or two to travel New York, Atlantic City, Baltimore.

there's really not much to do in Philly. the bell is over-rated, not sure how long the queue is. I hear security is tighter than at the airport.

there are a few parks I guess where you get to see people enjoying the sunshine.

Thanks guys, I will drive from Phl to NYC on my way home and will drop by a Mall for some big time shopping. Been to NYC, too crowded and too much like SG or HKG for my liking :)

I like to sit down, watch the world go by and take some street pics. Will post them of course. I think it will be a nice contrast - Jpn (tokyo) and Phil

Thanks guys, I will drive from Phl to NYC on my way home and will drop by a Mall for some big time shopping. Been to NYC, too crowded and too much like SG or HKG for my liking :)

I like to sit down, watch the world go by and take some street pics. Will post them of course. I think it will be a nice contrast - Jpn (tokyo) and Phil

you might wanna spend some time on Penn's campus.
Senior week (the week where the graduating class goes crazy) is in May.
The commencement ceremony makes for some pomp and splendour.

You might try Penn's Landing, which is as far east as you can go without being in the Delaware River. There have been free festivals there. The old buildings north of there are quite interesting.

There are a few malls around Philly and toward NYC but if you're really looking for Hi-Fi equipment, I don't think you'll find it in any mall. Circuit City and Best Buy have average equipment and you can find those stores almost anywhere. If you have something specific, I could help you search and find a store not far from your plan.

consider going to DC for a while
its very peaceful and pleasant.
walking along the parks, lots of monuments, watching the world go by.

Do the bus tour on your first day to get a feel of the city.
It starts near the National Constitution Center (near Liberty Bell)
Visit the University, Reading Terminal market, Rocky Balboa statue, and old town Philly.
For street photography, hang out in South Street and grab a cheesesteak with whiz.

Thanks and greetings from Florida, I will fly into PHL today!

Oh my dream car:

Honda Elements, seats becomes beds, roof becomes a tent, roof opens to see the clear starry skies...

img367.jpg

Guys, am in Phil
What is the best way to get from here to EWR airport on the final day:
- rent a car to get from my hotel at the PHL airport to EWR
- take the train from 30th St in the city
- fly

I like plan A because I have 46kg of luggage (been shopping) but a car costs about USD 130 to rent.

Thanks

I'm guessing that EWR is Newark, New Jersey. I'm guessing that New Jersey Transit stop there and maybe, Amtrak trains stop there as well, but you'd have to ask.

http://www.njtransit.com/

http://www.amtrak.com/

You could also go by bus and the bus terminal is near Reading Terminal Market, around 11th and Arch or 11th and Filbert.

Thanks, just found this out too
The alternative in case anyone wants is the Amtrak which takes you direct from 30th St Stn to EWR airport stn then you also take the AirTran to the EWR airport.

Difference, the former involves 1 more change but is 1/2 the price.

from philly take the Septa to Trenton
take NJTransit all the way to EWR
its the easier and cheapest

Status
Not open for further replies.