PG captures images of lions after submerging himself in watering hole for 3 mths

Truly amazing, but as one commenter mentioned, there are other (easier) and less life-threatening ways to get this done.

This is what i called passion and dedication. The never-ending quest for that perfect shot. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

can always use zoom lens and lay low for that shot mah... by submerging in the water... skali got buaya :bsmilie:

he could have used a 'metal barrel hide' another photographer used, and avoided the dieseases. Got passion but not enough brains IMHO.

omg... staayed in the water for 3 months ? this is crazy..

he could have used a 'metal barrel hide' another photographer used, and avoided the dieseases. Got passion but not enough brains IMHO.
have to agreed with this .... :bsmilie::sweat:

Dedication, you got to respect him for that AND the results he got BUT come on...surely he could have put on a wet suit or something right?

Not to detract from the brilliant shots, but perhaps it's a case of 'Dedicated photographer stares death and disease in the face' to gain more fame, recognition and command higher prices? I doubt if he's that stupid.

Not to detract from the brilliant shots, but perhaps it's a case of 'Dedicated photographer stares death and disease in the face' to gain more fame, recognition and command higher prices? I doubt if he's that stupid.

Yeahh i agree with you bro

He's not stupid. In order to command higher price, he got to add some 'spices' along with the photographs

Wildlife cameraman and documentary makers are pretty darn amazing. Watching the BBC series Life now which has excerpts on the lengths the filmmakers went to get their footage. Their dedication is astounding.

i would just build a waterproof concrete hide with a gardened roof to blend in with the environment, air-con, beds and fridge and build a moat around it with water, rocks and palm trees surrounding .... and rent it out to wildlife photogs afterwards :bsmilie:

Last edited:
i would just build a waterproof concrete hide with a gardened roof to blend in with the environment, air-con, beds and fridge and build a moat around it with water, rocks and palm trees surrounding .... and rent it out to wildlife photogs afterwards :bsmilie:

I will rent from you. Do you rent camera and lens also?

how about a heli-insertable self-sustaining photographer's hideout fully furnished with 1 week's supply of clothes, water, food, equipment, entertainment....? you just need to pay money and bring your CF cards along. lol..

woooow. superlicious photos. not sure if it is worth it. i guess passion and determination got the better of his senses.

couldn't he
1) wear a water proof jumper suit so that there is no contact with water or parasites
OR
2) stick a tri-pod in the waters with his camera and use remote and wifi. instant gratification.

i would love to see the rest of his images...
definitely great stuffs.. though a bit crazy..

I'm pretty sure he had some protection else he wont be alive today. It was mentioned that his head and shoulders were exposed so why wont the lions attack him?

I'm sure as a wildlife PG, he would have some 600mm if not 800mm at his disposal. With 8 lions side by side, thats at least 12ft wide. with 600mm you can take full frame of a bird about 5 inch size from 5m distant. Sure wayang one lah. He most likely took it from the other side of the waterhole.

Anyway, his shots are great.:thumbsup:

Great shots! If he stayed in the place the whole time, moving would've attracted the animals towards him. So in that case, couldn't he place a tripod with a radio controlled motorised camera panning & tilting base + Wifi connection to control the mounted camera?

I'm pretty sure he had some protection else he wont be alive today. It was mentioned that his head and shoulders were exposed so why wont the lions attack him?

I'm sure as a wildlife PG, he would have some 600mm if not 800mm at his disposal. With 8 lions side by side, thats at least 12ft wide. with 600mm you can take full frame of a bird about 5 inch size from 5m distant. Sure wayang one lah. He most likely took it from the other side of the waterhole.

Anyway, his shots are great.:thumbsup:
it was also mentioned in the article that the lions dont regard him as a human cuz when he's partially submerged, the lions have no clue what he was, and thus didnt attack.

i think if he were not submerged, the lions would not have come so close, or attack him..
and he had malaria, which is mosquito borne...
but i don't know how he could have avoided schistosomiasis though...

anyway, we're enjoying the fruits of his hospitalisations, haha