Peugeot RCZ

ahmad0420

Mar 6, 2010
Yishun
www.shadefotoworks.com
313997_256834191008013_123463387678428_959506_8359711_n.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?

- I'm looking to get critiques regarding the angle used, and post processing.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

- To show the car's modern design by putting a skyscraper background.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

- Under cloudy sky, and foggy surrounding.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

- I think it's a rather decent attempt.

I like the colours and the composition, but I just can't stand tilted photos that are tilted for no other reason than to tilt. They're very disorienting to me, make me feel dizzy, and unless it's an abstract or have some other reason for the angle, it just shouldn't be done.

Your car feels like it is going to fall down to the left any moment, for example. These angles just dont exist in nature, so it makes me feel uneasy.

Just my two cents worth :)

Let me share my 2 cents worth from my experience of doing marketing for a company dealing in multiple marques regionally. Firstly, it depends on whether you are shooting for the car brand itself, for publications, or for the owners, etc.For the latter two, there isn't much restriction on how you can shot the car. But if you shot for the brands themselves, you would be given a whole document with regards to the whole CI on what angles you can and cannot use.

In your picture above, the choice of background is nice, since the RCZ is targeted at "urbanites", especially PMEBs who wants something really different. However, since the RCZ is really about her unique outlook and appearance, the angle you choose hides all of it. The size and proportions of the car appears compact and squashed. Buildings over the car also hides the contours of the roof of the car which is another unique point of the RCZ itself. Reflections is something that Brands are very particular about. Unless a reflection is intentional to bring out the curves of the car, its better to do without. The reflections of the buildings in this case also distorts the rear left tail lamp of the RCZ.

However, you have done well in showing the rims of the car (especially the front left). The position you took is also right as it shows all 4 wheels. Brands hate it when the photo shows only 3 wheels which gives the feel that the car is on tripod.

There is a whole lot to automotive photography. Then again, these are just some pointers which I can share based on my experience in this industry. Like I mentioned earlier, it really depends on who and what you are shooting for; rules or no rules.

Cheers~

Let me share my 2 cents worth from my experience of doing marketing for a company dealing in multiple marques regionally. Firstly, it depends on whether you are shooting for the car brand itself, for publications, or for the owners, etc.For the latter two, there isn't much restriction on how you can shot the car. But if you shot for the brands themselves, you would be given a whole document with regards to the whole CI on what angles you can and cannot use.

In your picture above, the choice of background is nice, since the RCZ is targeted at "urbanites", especially PMEBs who wants something really different. However, since the RCZ is really about her unique outlook and appearance, the angle you choose hides all of it. The size and proportions of the car appears compact and squashed. Buildings over the car also hides the contours of the roof of the car which is another unique point of the RCZ itself. Reflections is something that Brands are very particular about. Unless a reflection is intentional to bring out the curves of the car, its better to do without. The reflections of the buildings in this case also distorts the rear left tail lamp of the RCZ.

However, you have done well in showing the rims of the car (especially the front left). The position you took is also right as it shows all 4 wheels. Brands hate it when the photo shows only 3 wheels which gives the feel that the car is on tripod.

There is a whole lot to automotive photography. Then again, these are just some pointers which I can share based on my experience in this industry. Like I mentioned earlier, it really depends on who and what you are shooting for; rules or no rules.

Cheers~

i'm just passing by here to take a look, but i am really glad to have read ur piece.

cheers

p.s. what is 'CI'?

Hi octavius, just glad to be able to share a little insight of the industry. CI = Corporate Identity.

There is no contrast of the car color and buildings. If the colors cannot be changed, I would have used a tele with a large aperature to separate the car and the background.

My 2 cents.