petition on unfair transit charges for poly students as compared to JC/CI students

Status
Not open for further replies.
just my 2 cents...

been a poly student before & wondered about the same issue... but before trashing the system, look at your classmates, all of you are wearing your plain clothes, not in uniform, no way the bus driver / smrt staff going to differentiate you with the JC students. And there is also 'older' adults in poly as well...

so technically, you are more associated with NUS/NTU, etc university students... so unless you wanna wear uniform like JC, den you are more likely suppose to pay the higher cost... (note: JC have an age limit.. Uni & Poly don't... i think its an abuse if u see a 30+ 40 year old poly student using a sec school bus pass)

anyway, maybe those full time private uni / diploma students can set ask for a tertiary pass to get discount for public transport.

Yup. I agree that private university students should ask for a tertiary pass. My poor friends in SIM are looking at my poly tertiary pass with greed shining in their eyes.

Just overemphasising the fact that private university people need their own pass. It's like they are being discriminated against because they had lousy A'level results. They pay more for their university fees and they have no right to buy concession passes. Thus they spend more annually compared to students from public universities.

Isn't their plight more serious than the one facing poly students now?

I signed the petition above, because well, it's gonna benefit me if it passes through. (But I don't think it will. The reasons stated there are too centred on one side of the argument.)

I'm sure you don't want to see adult fees going up because we poly students can pay $0.45 flat for each ride we take. Nobody's going to benefit in the long run because we are all going to work eventually.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
just my 2 cents...

been a poly student before & wondered about the same issue... but before trashing the system, look at your classmates, all of you are wearing your plain clothes, not in uniform, no way the bus driver / smrt staff going to differentiate you with the JC students. And there is also 'older' adults in poly as well...

so technically, you are more associated with NUS/NTU, etc university students... so unless you wanna wear uniform like JC, den you are more likely suppose to pay the higher cost... (note: JC have an age limit.. Uni & Poly don't... i think its an abuse if u see a 30+ 40 year old poly student using a sec school bus pass)

anyway, maybe those full time private uni / diploma students can set ask for a tertiary pass to get discount for public transport.

Agreed that those 30+ students might take advantage of these ,however if it is implemented to full- time students, these might not be that case as suggested (maybe those full time private uni / diploma students can set ask for a tertiary pass to get discount for public transport)

I went to poly for a tertiary education. It's definatly a place for "higher" learning... I'm willing to pay more for bus fares.

it's sad when people want to compare it to a JC. :thumbsd:

i would like to petition this issue for our army boyz (free of charge all weather all purpose fighting machines) too. becasue they are not working.

scifreaker said:
Agreed that those 30+ students might take advantage of these ,however if it is implemented to full- time students, these might not be that case as suggested (maybe those full time private uni / diploma students can set ask for a tertiary pass to get discount for public transport)

FYI, there is 30+ year old students taking full time courses at poly (i have those in my batch/course)

part time students aren't entitled to most of these priviledge...

I would just like to suggest that you fix some of the english errors on the petition, so that when you send it, it would be more formal and presentable. I would especially like to point out this phrase, "I do believe SMRT and SBS are smart enough to not make decisions based on stereotyping thinking,"... cheers, and good luck with the petition...

don't agree with such a petition as poly students' school fees are subsidised as much as a uni student as it is also tiertiary.

if you ask me, a fair outcome should be poly students don't even have a concession pass or the uni students get a concession pass.

my 2cents. ;p

Actually this petition was not created by myself but from someone i know ;p... cant correct his mistakes :confused:

Just thinking aloud .. why no one complain when you get out of school poly student is likely to enjoy a higher pay as compared to JC students, amid they go to uni .. :think: :bsmilie:

Any suggestion could be made to Pang Khin Wee and Liang Yuqing from Ngee Ann Polytechnic @ hypermegaman@gmail.com, i think his petition is far too one sided view & not so exact on what the SMRT or SBS could really do for the poly students here( need some corrections here & there) :think:

scifreaker said:
Any suggestion could be made to Pang Khin Wee and Liang Yuqing from Ngee Ann Polytechnic @ hypermegaman@gmail.com, i think his petition is far too one sided view & not so exact on what the SMRT or SBS could really do for the poly students here( need some corrections here & there) :think:

on 1 hand, you guys are doing what the government wants you guys to do, voice out... on the other hand... you guys need to be more objective... think of a cause & reason not just plainly for personal gains & to work for the welfare of the majority and/or minority under abuse... ;)

Fact: Poly students do enjoy some form of concession travel, though the discount is not as significant as for JC students. University students enjoy the same concessions as Poly students.

Question: Why does the petition speak out only for Poly students and not University students?

Fact: Many mature students (both Poly and Uni) have forgone employment for the time being to return to school again. Like younger students, they may have no source of income. Unlike younger students, they may have dependents such as parents, spouses and children to feed and maintain.

Question: Why make a distinction between mature and younger students (though not in the petition)? Should people of all ages not be encouraged to go back to school to further their education?

Overall: I think some of the posters in the forum have got it right: Poly is "closer" to Uni than to JC, and comparisons should not be made with JC. Looking at some of the comments posted on the petition site, I'm not convinced many of the petitioners are aware of the full facts, or bothered to think a little about it. Some have even decided to the comments column on the petition to argue and insult each other, with one suggesting that he is "superior" to the other petitioners because he is from a "prestigious" faculty in NUS. Which is a little sad, considering they are tertiary students and soon-to-be graduates!

my 2.5 cents worth...

zoomo said:
Fact: Poly students do enjoy some form of concession travel, though the discount is not as significant as for JC students. University students enjoy the same concessions as Poly students.

Question: Why does the petition speak out only for Poly students and not University students?

Fact: Many mature students (both Poly and Uni) have forgone employment for the time being to return to school again. Like younger students, they may have no source of income. Unlike younger students, they may have dependents such as parents, spouses and children to feed and maintain.

Question: Why make a distinction between mature and younger students (though not in the petition)? Should people of all ages not be encouraged to go back to school to further their education?

Overall: I think some of the posters in the forum have got it right: Poly is "closer" to Uni than to JC, and comparisons should not be made with JC. Looking at some of the comments posted on the petition site, I'm not convinced many of the petitioners are aware of the full facts, or bothered to think a little about it. Some have even decided to the comments column on the petition to argue and insult each other, with one suggesting that he is "superior" to the other petitioners because he is from a "prestigious" faculty in NUS. Which is a little sad, considering they are tertiary students and soon-to-be graduates!

my 2.5 cents worth...

think i started this part... let me explain my POV...

if not wrong, JC students and Sec school students are both using the same pass, meaning JC students use Secondary school prices for public transport... so when poly students (if the petition does goes thru) uses the same pass as the JC / Sec sch students, isn't the 30+ 40+ ppl using the same sec sch pass?

i agree with you wholeheartedly about the part that Poly diploma students are tertiary students, why can't they just be contented with the reduced price from the normal fare? If wanna compare, maybe ask those pte FULL TIME dip/degree students come out & cry... cos they are also same age as those in poly or JC, but they aren't entitled to any of these priviledges, and pay full adult fare.

also, maybe look from the public transport point of view.. the price increase of fares normally affect us adult in particular, very slight increase have been imposed on the pri / sec / tertiary level...

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
think i started this part... let me explain my POV...

if not wrong, JC students and Sec school students are both using the same pass, meaning JC students use Secondary school prices for public transport... so when poly students (if the petition does goes thru) uses the same pass as the JC / Sec sch students, isn't the 30+ 40+ ppl using the same sec sch pass?

i agree with you wholeheartedly about the part that Poly diploma students are tertiary students, why can't they just be contented with the reduced price from the normal fare? If wanna compare, maybe ask those pte FULL TIME dip/degree students come out & cry... cos they are also same age as those in poly or JC, but they aren't entitled to any of these priviledges, and pay full adult fare.

also, maybe look from the public transport point of view.. the price increase of fares normally affect us adult in particular, very slight increase have been imposed on the pri / sec / tertiary level...

maybe they could allow concession travel for any full time tertiary students below the age of 21 At a reasonable flat fare :dunno: :think:

All these petitions are essentially useless, not trying to put everyone down but when has something changed due to an online petition?
It's just gonna end up in Trash folder.

Murcielago said:
All these petitions are essentially useless, not trying to put everyone down but when has something changed due to an online petition?
It's just gonna end up in Trash folder.

rather than going to a US based site which have totally no effect on local policy... why not try the YPAP forum or ST forum?

in the workplace, poly education is considered tertiary education (i.e. equiv to uni). JC is considered "pre-U" and for purposes of applying for a job, it's not on par to poly.

The petition was rather like an online insulting forum where people ( JC Vs tertiary students)curse each other freely,it might not help if it ever gain attention from the authorities. :eek: :nono:

Status
Not open for further replies.