Petition against movie ticket price hike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Old news.. but no use, they will hike it all the more.

In case you folks didn't notice, they've new plasmas and new machines. Everything costs $$. So we have to pay for it as we use it to see what shows they have and what time slots :rolleyes:

I'm already boycotting. I can wait till the shows hit the shelves :)

same here..
boycott~~~
buy vcd even cheaper.. still can keep and future watch again...

Not to mention VCDs are $9.90, an entire family or friends can watch together too. Savings :thumbsup:

The only people that will keep watching no matter how expensive are the younger kids, that's their only pastimes & entertainment.

heh... i'm glad i got another pastime...
taking pics... :sticktong

Yeah, beats cramping in some silly places where they demand we have to purchase their food & drinks as a safety precaution :rolleyes:

And I remember reading a report somewhere, they don't really earn off the tickets sold but rather the sales of pop corn & drinks.

To add fuel to this fire, you should come to the movie theatres here in Bangkok... Every one of them is so ellaborately decorated and they spend a few million baht on each theatre room itself... (My classmate is the daughter of the owner of the EGV chain here in Bangkok so the info is pretty accurate... ;) ) Also have different classes of seats too... And... its still cheaper than S'pore itself... tsk tsk tsk.

No choice... earnings must increase per year, that's profit. Earning the same amount per year doesn't equate earnings, each year must be better than the last, although most would be happy if they got the same earnings per year... :rolleyes:

nickmak said:
To add fuel to this fire, you should come to the movie theatres here in Bangkok... Every one of them is so ellaborately decorated and they spend a few million baht on each theatre room itself... (My classmate is the daughter of the owner of the EGV chain here in Bangkok so the info is pretty accurate... ;) ) Also have different classes of seats too... And... its still cheaper than S'pore itself... tsk tsk tsk.

you should go woo your classmate, next time can watch movie with the entire theatre to yourself ... and your classmate :bsmilie:

Movie prices in Singapore are considerably cheaper than many countries out of South-East Asia, example US, Australia or most of Europe.

Here, student price is AU$10.50! Normal price is around $14, except on $5 Tuesdays. And most of the theatres arn't as nice and comfortable as those found in Singapore (Cineleisure, GV).

I guess as cost of living goes up, other prices have to go up also. No choice. I don't think the idea of a petiton will work. Just boycott and watch rental DVDs/VCDs.

We might think cost of living is very high in Singapore, but apart from property/housing and cars, everything is comparatively very cheap, compared with other developed nations.

majere2sg said:
haha no use petition.. how about boycot ? ;)

no need to boycott la, just download or buy p-version.

C'mon guys, its not *that* expensive. As many of you put it, there are so many others ways to view movies, if you don't like the price of a movie ticket, then don't go!
This is a free market economy and the movie houses can price the tickets any way they like. Its not like its a critical commodity like healthcare or education, where some price control in necessary to maintain accessibility. It's movies for goodness sake, do you really need to raise a hue and cry over that?? :dunno:
As for the Thai comparison, I guess if you are earning Thai wages you should expect Thai prices, and ditto for Singapore.

I don't earn singapore wages... I get paid peanuts. :rolleyes:

maybe the raising of the prices of the movie tickets are resonable if :
1. they really improve the movie going experience (no audio streaming error, clean seats, enough leg room(they just assume all asians are 1.4m?!), really clean floors etc.)

2. justify their claims of higher operating cost
a) do we really need to view our movie times via a 42" PLASMA TV?(costs abt $4-7k, and its those high end JVC,Pioneer brands) would a cheaper CRT(albeit smaller TV allow the same function)

b) r they passing their higher(but not really necessary) operating costs to us? like organising roadshows, advertising gimmicks or hiring some guy to act as spongebob or something. true this may be necessary for them. but does this benefit ALL movie go-ers?

anyway, this will only drive more singporeans to JB to "catch" their shows. and with sporeans increasingly owning good home theatre systems, i doubt the garmen will be the winner in this one

I remember spending only RM$9 when I was in MY, and that's on a holiday, else it's RM$4.50 IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.