PES C2 - 13 years NSman cycle??

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Deregistered
Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
My friend and I were discussing earlier and had a bit of a disagreement.

I thought for PES C2 status NSmen, there is this rule about them serving only 13 years cycle? But my friend seems to disagree and thinks they serve the same duration as other NSmen for their reservist training.

If my "theory" is right, does it mean after 13 years (from the date of ORD), an NSman will be free from reservist training whether he has served 7 high-key exercises or not?

No my young friend.

You must serve/record 7 high key + 3 low key to be converted to MR (Mindef reserve). After which no need IPPT and or RT... but still under reserve..until you reach age 40 for any ranks expect officer which have to be under reserve till age 50

Last edited:
i believe he's asking for those who are pes c status and lower. Correct me if im wrong.

No difference, PES C or otherwise. The 7 high-key + 3 low-key rule still holds.
... oh, and er... the TS, 35 yr old already, not too young any more lah... right?

Last edited:
stop counting ur ICT and serve until receive ur MR letter....learnt my lesson of counting down
and being given excuse......I've done 8 high key ICT already, even received the Hamilton watch and medal...still never MR...Mindef claim 7 high key is minimum, so they can call u for more...

stop counting ur ICT and serve until receive ur MR letter....learnt my lesson of counting down
and being given excuse......I've done 8 high key ICT already, even received the Hamilton watch and medal...still never MR...Mindef claim 7 high key is minimum, so they can call u for more...

Yup, u done all your HK but what abt LK? LK needed also. Ask ur unit to check for u. Me completed liao, MR on 16th Oct 09. :D

what if you are pes E? any minimum years to wait out? :bsmilie:
PES E ROD after 2 years of fulltime NSF isn't it??

PES C2 NSman cycle isn't it 5 years instead?

PES E ROD after 2 years of fulltime NSF isn't it??

PES C2 NSman cycle isn't it 5 years instead?

not sure for pes E but PES C2 need to serve full 10 yrs cycle

C2 definitely need to serve 10 years.
7 high + 3 low.

C2 needs to serve the 7 hi and 3 lo cycle. me is C2L9 (no thanks to a bum knee)... just dun need IPPT only. other than dat, still have to go chiong with my brigade.

actually... i din know PES E dun need to serve leh... i got a few clerks in my brigade who are PES E... dun tell me they are NS boys? :think:

A lot of us have this misconception of 7 high keys and 3 low keys will add up to a total of 10 years. This is entirely wrong!

Whether you serve a total of 10 years or 15 or 20 depends entirely on your unit. A total of 10 cycles does not mean the entire duration will take only 10 years, as the unit may not have reservists recall every year. It really depends on each individual unit.

However, I can say most infantry units will try to have at least a recall every year. This is because by the time we reach 35, most of us sure have some pain here or there. ;p

Anyway, younger generations considered lucky liao. Only 10 cycles. I served under the old rule, 13! :cry:

Last edited:
Then I wonder why they call them "cycles"... what's the point?

For eg, as RezzShaz experienced, after 8 High Keys, he has still not MR!!

So for MINDEF, they can call you up for 6 HK, 3 LK till you're 39.5 years old, you still have not MR! So aren't those so-called 10-year or 13-year cycles very misleading?

It could be past 15 years and an NSman could possibly still not have MR.

hmmm, juz wondering

is it possible for a unit to call back an NSMan for countless low keys and only 1 or 2 High Keys for many years and when he is nearing 40, still have not MR?

Sounds depressing! :what:

So for MINDEF, they can call you up for 6 HK, 3 LK till you're 39.5 years old, you still have not MR! So aren't those so-called 10-year or 13-year cycles very misleading?

yeah. my first Hi-key came after almost 15yrs after i ROD... so imagine now i am like 34 and only just did my 1st hi-key last yr. apparently, i am not the only one. :confused:

it is due to the staffing needs of the unit lah. i got a fren who got his first hi-key as a RP... when he was 40yrs old. do until he was 45yrs b4 Mindef gave him his watch. but virgo is rite. generally infantry units go thru their cycles pretty fast. it is the support units dat seems quite slow. i got frens/colleagues who are in transport/signals etc.. who are still waiting to be called. go figure....

just do lor. treat is as a holiday. :)

Yes. It's sort of misleading here. If your unit falls under the very 'ON' type, then it should fall under the standard 10-year cycle or 13-year cycle. Other than that, it should be just called the 10-cycle or 13-cycle, e.g., I've served my 10-cycle reservists. Year does not mean anything here. Anyway, MINDEF's financial year is not our calendar year. It falls from 1 Apr to 31 Mar. Not sure it has changed though, as MINDEF don't want me since a few years back. :bsmilie:

hmmm, juz wondering

is it possible for a unit to call back an NSMan for countless low keys and only 1 or 2 High Keys for many years and when he is nearing 40, still have not MR?

Not possible, as I have yet to see such a case. However, there are exceptional cases, e.g. one has deferred his unit's training every time with a valid reason. Until his actual unit retires, he still has not serve his term, then MINDEF will allocate him to another unit, and the cycle starts again!

So it's not advisable to defer training unless absolute necessary, especially those 'chiong sua' type. I rather go through thick and thin with my camp mates, rather than with those whom I'm not familiar with.

Yes, another possibility is what Nightwolf75 has mentioned. One gets recalled not immediately he ORD, but many years after that. In that case, the reservist period will be stretched till God knows when.

hmmm, juz wondering

my last in camp has a few nearing 40 yr old comrades... they did many low keys, end of the day, u have to clock the minimum high key to qualify for MR... dun believe u can try go for all the low key and miss all the high key, ur S1 branch will tell u cannot MR, unless u 45 liao...:bsmilie:

as mention, depends on ur unit...many of those who did not get call up as often are usually from brigade or support unit... or their call up are just low key affairs which is too bad...

my elder bro told me his camp got ppl owe 0.25 cycle cannot MR while the rest all MR... :confused: i dunno how true since i dunno how u can serve 0.75 cycle in the first place...:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.