Perth 10-12 days trip!

desertstrike

Sep 29, 2008
CCK
hi guys, i will be going ard Perth, then to frementle, then to augusta and margaret river, then travel up etc etc

any recommendation on hotel, or travel path, or things to look out for? :p

thanks in advance! :)

Last edited:
spent a month in Perth more than 10 yrs ago... visited Pinnacles, Wave Rock, Freo, Busselton, Marg River, Albany, etc.

there's lots more to see, especially if you do a driving holiday or caravaning & have few friends to co-drive with :)

here's some sites you may wanna check out b4 the trip for some research, accom, suggested itineraries:

Welcome to Western Australia - Tourism Western Australia
Visit Western Australia Online
Perth Tours and Perth Accommodation

spent a month in Perth more than 10 yrs ago... visited Pinnacles, Wave Rock, Freo, Busselton, Marg River, Albany, etc.

there's lots more to see, especially if you do a driving holiday or caravaning & have few friends to co-drive with :)

here's some sites you may wanna check out b4 the trip for some research, accom, suggested itineraries:

Welcome to Western Australia - Tourism Western Australia
Visit Western Australia Online
Perth Tours and Perth Accommodation

thanks! :)

Is it relatively easy to find food and water? or it is better to bring along? what about toilet accessibility and stuff?

Nice :) When are you going? Gotta check the weather

thanks! :)

Is it relatively easy to find food and water? or it is better to bring along? what about toilet accessibility and stuff?

sorry for the late reply, thought i'd get thread updates but i forgot to subscribe to thread.

anyway, when are you going there? # of pax?

sunglasses are a must for all! especially for drivers during spring/summer cos of the sun getting very low on the horizon at sunset.

there's regular rest stops along the highways and also gas stations where you can top up gas/drinks/fill up stomach. get a heavier family car (Camry & above) so it's more stable on highways against the wind & for their cruise control function. some rental cars may have 2 tanks - petro & LPG. LPG used to be more economical especially when cruising, not sure whats the prices for both now so cant compare.

check out the FuelWatch website too - Trip Planner

Stayed there for about 2 years plus, and its cos of the scenery there that I took up photography!

Be sure to visit the coasts, whether at Fremantle or further down south at sunset, depending on the weather you can potentially get stunning sunsets. The more rural areas down south can also be amazing at night where there is almost no light pollution and cloud cover. Bring a tripod and get some star trails or shots of the milky way.

Kangaroo sightings are not uncommon at all, even along the highways. Be careful when driving especially at dusk though cos they could just jump out in front of you without warning...

If you are in Perth around the dates of 7th - 9th April, head to Fremantle for the Fremantle Street Arts Festival 2012. It is the biggest street arts (buskers) festival in Australia and a great opportuinity for photos. Was there for it 4 years ago and flying there again in 2 weeks time just for this!! Cheers!

Fremantle Street Arts Festival - City of Fremantle

Caversham Wildlife Park is definately worth a visit too.

Nothing to worry about finding food and water, except on public holidays like Good Friday & Christmas when almost EVERYTHING is closed.

I take it that you are driving from the lists of places you are going, always top up your tank whenever you get the chance to, petrol prices rise slightly the further out from the city you are. And if you plan to cover long distances, load up on lots of energy drinks/coffee in the car, driving in aussie can be pretty mundane sometimes. (my mates and i drove 1600km non-stop(except to top up the tank) from Margeret River to Exmouth some years back when a storm came by and we had to change plans). Lastly, try to avoid driving in the dark on rurals roads as there is a very high chance of hitting animals.

Accomodation - i usually stay in backpacker hostels when travelling in Aust as i feel that they are more value for money if you are not travelling with family or kids, considering that accomodation in Perth is more expensive than the other cities. But as a tip, the Parmelia Hilton Hotel Perth is having a special rate of AUD$111/night the last i saw, which is DIRT CHEAP by aussie standards.

Hope you have a great time in Perth, Fremantle is one of my favourite cities in the world. Looking forward to my trip too.

sorry for the late reply, thought i'd get thread updates but i forgot to subscribe to thread.

anyway, when are you going there? # of pax?

sunglasses are a must for all! especially for drivers during spring/summer cos of the sun getting very low on the horizon at sunset.

there's regular rest stops along the highways and also gas stations where you can top up gas/drinks/fill up stomach. get a heavier family car (Camry & above) so it's more stable on highways against the wind & for their cruise control function. some rental cars may have 2 tanks - petro & LPG. LPG used to be more economical especially when cruising, not sure whats the prices for both now so cant compare.

check out the FuelWatch website too - Trip Planner

okie, will bring sunglasses, but the car, only 2 person, might just rent a getz... and i will be driving only... hmm... most importantly, is there any map that shows where are all the rest stops?

Stayed there for about 2 years plus, and its cos of the scenery there that I took up photography!

Be sure to visit the coasts, whether at Fremantle or further down south at sunset, depending on the weather you can potentially get stunning sunsets. The more rural areas down south can also be amazing at night where there is almost no light pollution and cloud cover. Bring a tripod and get some star trails or shots of the milky way.

Kangaroo sightings are not uncommon at all, even along the highways. Be careful when driving especially at dusk though cos they could just jump out in front of you without warning...

any tips on how to shoot nice star trails? :p

If you are in Perth around the dates of 7th - 9th April, head to Fremantle for the Fremantle Street Arts Festival 2012. It is the biggest street arts (buskers) festival in Australia and a great opportuinity for photos. Was there for it 4 years ago and flying there again in 2 weeks time just for this!! Cheers!

Fremantle Street Arts Festival - City of Fremantle

Caversham Wildlife Park is definately worth a visit too.

Nothing to worry about finding food and water, except on public holidays like Good Friday & Christmas when almost EVERYTHING is closed.

I take it that you are driving from the lists of places you are going, always top up your tank whenever you get the chance to, petrol prices rise slightly the further out from the city you are. And if you plan to cover long distances, load up on lots of energy drinks/coffee in the car, driving in aussie can be pretty mundane sometimes. (my mates and i drove 1600km non-stop(except to top up the tank) from Margeret River to Exmouth some years back when a storm came by and we had to change plans). Lastly, try to avoid driving in the dark on rurals roads as there is a very high chance of hitting animals.

Accomodation - i usually stay in backpacker hostels when travelling in Aust as i feel that they are more value for money if you are not travelling with family or kids, considering that accomodation in Perth is more expensive than the other cities. But as a tip, the Parmelia Hilton Hotel Perth is having a special rate of AUD$111/night the last i saw, which is DIRT CHEAP by aussie standards.

Hope you have a great time in Perth, Fremantle is one of my favourite cities in the world. Looking forward to my trip too.

how to find out where are all the petrol station ar? and the coffee... u bring thermal flask along ar?

also, u only look for hotel/backpacker rm when u reach ar? will it be too risky?

Also, i read that bunbury got dolphin discovery center, mangroove, rare basaltic rock, is it worth a trip to there?

I stopped briefly at the Dolphin Discovery Center and continued my journey southward. It was all right. Nothing particularly WOW, but quite informative.

Depends on what time you reach there and how much time you plan to spend in the area. What interests you? :)

I stopped briefly at the Dolphin Discovery Center and continued my journey southward. It was all right. Nothing particularly WOW, but quite informative.

Depends on what time you reach there and how much time you plan to spend in the area. What interests you? :)

hmm... not v interested in Dolphin though, just read that that place is famous for that... so....

anyway, i plan to go like this, can everyone help me to see if the plan is ok?

perth -> busselton Jetty (Going by coastal)

bussetlon Jetty - > lake cave

Lake cave -> mammoth cave

mammoth cave -> eagle heritage center (MR)

eagle heritage center -> xanadu winery (MR)

xanadu winery -> jewel cave

jewel cave -> cape leeuwin

cape leeuwin -> water wheel

water wheel -> denmark

denmart -> valley of the giant

valley of the giant -> some chocolate farm

chocolate farm -> blue berry farm

blue berry farm -> albany

albany -> natural gap

natural gap -> blow hole

blow hole -> middelton beach

middleton beach -> whale world

whale world -> brig amity

brig amity ->fremantle market

fremantle market -> round house

round house -> fremantle fishing harbour

fremantle fishing harbour -> caversham wildlife park

caversham wildlife park -> pinnacle

pinnacle -> perth (kings park... etc etc)

Perth -> pinnacle is around 3hrs drive one way. The last time I took a full day tour to go there. Went in a 4x4 vehicle.

If I remember correctly, fremantle market, best is to go in the weekend (Fri - Sun) when the markets are open. Try Fish and chips at Cicerellos or Kailis Fish Market Cafe. Bring your own chilli sauce! :)

Vineyards - you can try swan valley in perth or Margaret river area down south. You can go vineyard hopping and wine tasting. Some vineyards offer free wine tasting while others need to pay. If you buy wine from them, they will waive the fees. Eating at the vineyard restaurants can be expensive. Some are like fine dining. Caution : Don't drink and drive!

Just a tip, when you arrive at each area south/north of perth, look for the visitor center which has this "i" logo. You can get information on tourist spots in that area and maps as well.

Lastly, when you are driving, keep to the speed limits and keep left unless overtaking, plenty of hidden speed traps there. When you signal, even in jams, motorists will give way! You will like driving there :)

Perth -> pinnacle is around 3hrs drive one way. The last time I took a full day tour to go there. Went in a 4x4 vehicle.

If I remember correctly, fremantle market, best is to go in the weekend (Fri - Sun) when the markets are open. Try Fish and chips at Cicerellos or Kailis Fish Market Cafe. Bring your own chilli sauce! :)

Vineyards - you can try swan valley in perth or Margaret river area down south. You can go vineyard hopping and wine tasting. Some vineyards offer free wine tasting while others need to pay. If you buy wine from them, they will waive the fees. Eating at the vineyard restaurants can be expensive. Some are like fine dining. Caution : Don't drink and drive!

Just a tip, when you arrive at each area south/north of perth, look for the visitor center which has this "i" logo. You can get information on tourist spots in that area and maps as well.

Lastly, when you are driving, keep to the speed limits and keep left unless overtaking, plenty of hidden speed traps there. When you signal, even in jams, motorists will give way! You will like driving there :)

thanks for the info! er... they dun have chilli sauce ar? tar tar sauce? else so dry, how to eat? :p

have u been to xanadu windery? dun think i will go hopping between winery... cos i driving...

yup, will passby the visitor center, btw, what u think of my plan? pls give comments :)

thanks for the info! er... they dun have chilli sauce ar? tar tar sauce? else so dry, how to eat? :p

have u been to xanadu windery? dun think i will go hopping between winery... cos i driving...

yup, will passby the visitor center, btw, what u think of my plan? pls give comments :)

Currently i am here in perth for a pre-wedding. Your plan is almost exactly the same as what i did for my honeymoon in 2009 (except pinnacle). My local friends suggests that it is a 3 hr drive and quite boring place. ur view may vary...

here are some of my suggestion based on my experience. some ppl has already suggested too.
- get a bigger car for more comfortable driving experience. follow speed limit. avoid driving after dark if possible.
- many shops and patrol station close ~5. especially in small towns where u will be spending ur night, buy ur dinner earlier.
- u have to pay for tar tar / chilli sauce at fremantle. :)
- the scenery near by at albany wind firm is fantastic. :)
- sunglass is a must. the temperature drop till 10+ C in the night and morning. don't forgot to bring some warm clothing.

Your itenary seems quite packed. Have you estimated the distance to drive on goggle map and how long you going to say at each place?

I suggest you stay a few days in Margeret River and use it as a base to visit the caves, Cape Leeuwin and Winerys. You can always buy the wine and drink it at the comfort of your accom at night after dinner.
Xanadu Winery is quite good. You can also check out Leeuwin Estate. Not sure if it's harvest time. They have a tour that you can see the process from grape to wine.

Get a bigger car like what mtunlinn suggested and always keep to the speed limits.

If you are looking to shoot sunset, be prepared to drive at night as it gets dark very fast. Off my head, Busselton Jetty and Cape Leeuwin lighthouse should be good for sunset. I can post some pictures if you are interested.

Hi,

Just some recommendation. Not sure if it is useful to you or not.

1. You can consider downloading "NavFree" as a GPS Map to navigate your way if you are bringing along a iPAD or iPhone. You will also need to get a data plan over there in order to use that. It's quite accurate. My family and I used that to navigate our trip from Perth to Albany. There are some places where the signal are abit weak but most of the time, we are able to navigate with it accurately. Be sure to download the Australia & New Zealand one.
2. Karri Valley Resort is a place that you might want to consider. The resort is located in the woods and you can experience living in the woods. Managed to took a few good pictures of "Kookaburra" pictures while staying there for a night before moving to Albany. This is the link: Karri Valley Resort
3. You might want to consider visiting the Wind Farm in Albany. Sunset should be quite nice.

All the best for your trip and most importantly, have a good time. :)

Benjamin.

Last edited:
Currently i am here in perth for a pre-wedding. Your plan is almost exactly the same as what i did for my honeymoon in 2009 (except pinnacle). My local friends suggests that it is a 3 hr drive and quite boring place. ur view may vary...

here are some of my suggestion based on my experience. some ppl has already suggested too.
- get a bigger car for more comfortable driving experience. follow speed limit. avoid driving after dark if possible.
- many shops and patrol station close ~5. especially in small towns where u will be spending ur night, buy ur dinner earlier.
- u have to pay for tar tar / chilli sauce at fremantle. :)
- the scenery near by at albany wind firm is fantastic. :)
- sunglass is a must. the temperature drop till 10+ C in the night and morning. don't forgot to bring some warm clothing.
\

thanks for the info! :)

hmm.. what car do u suggest?