Perspective.

Pyxis

Jan 3, 2011
I've just got myself a D7000, and I am a total greenhorn to photography.
I read up and finally gathered the guts to go take some photos to see the results.

Any type of comments and critiques would be appreciated. :)

5366093277_b2c463a74b.jpg

5366729526_6bd9a9a631.jpg

5366119705_e8520e1e0f.jpg

5366731994_79de5362af.jpg

5366742296_34f6429bec.jpg

SJI? can't say i like this angle though. Esso and the tennis courts just makes for a cluttered background that don't do it for a compelling perspective, the blown sky doesn't help as well. There are other things to shoot around SJI, the chapel, the fountain behind the chapel in front of PAC, etc. Just listing some suggestions for you.

Heh, yeap.
Took those photos during the campfire night, just brought along my newly bought camera since I had to be down to lead the house cheers anyway.

Ah, alright. I was hoping the background would be blurred enough, cause personally I like the composition of the statue and the perspective of it.
Thank you for your comments and suggestions. :)

How'd you know so much about SJI btw? o:

Heh, yeap.
Took those photos during the campfire night, just brought along my newly bought camera since I had to be down to lead the house cheers anyway.

Ah, alright. I was hoping the background would be blurred enough, cause personally I like the composition of the statue and the perspective of it.
Thank you for your comments and suggestions. :)

How'd you know so much about SJI btw? o:

i'm guessing #2 is the founder's hall and #3 is the parade square. let's just say a decade has passed when i was at the sec 1 campfire night as a freshie.

Last edited:
i'm guessing #2 is the founder's hall and #3 is the parade square. let's just say a decade has passed when i was at the sec 1 campfire night as a freshie.

Yeap, guesses are right. #2, #3, #4, #5, all are shots taken from SJI.

#4 is from the Prefect's room. Went in for a breather. (though I'm not a prefect. ;D)
Oh, wow. That's really cool.
So I guess you're my senior, then. xD

5375245552_c12663336e.jpg

5374642803_d2b8e6ec28.jpg

5374639963_253400c5af.jpg

5374637293_9c8524894f.jpg

Hey Pyxis, glad to see you in clubsnap. I'm Lycan. xD

5384253264_e396f01a88.jpg

5383649245_7400d881cc.jpg

Comments on how a newbie like me could improve, composition wise, or anything in particular would be welcome and greatly, greatly appreciated.

Nevertheless, thank you for visiting my thread and taking time to look at a few of my photos.

#1, chair is 'chopped' off, move closer to it and include the whole chair. Same as #2.
#3 is interesting, just that focus seems to be off or due to motion blur.
#4 would be more interesting if you can find a rusty chain, try B&W version of it.
#5 I would move closer, and try to shoot in the direction of the statue's field of view and hopefully there's something interesting for the statue to 'stare at'.
#6 Telephone chopped off, try shooting at portrait orientation (vertical).
#7 the CNY sign is chopped off again, maybe I would fill up the whole frame with the logo and let the viewers see the background blur through the holes in the words.
#8 I would include the whole 'incense pot'
#9 too much dead space on the left, unless your focus is on the white paint on the wall.
#10 Try portrait orientation and include the whole head. The focus might be on the right eye, not really on the background wall.
#11 You might want to back off abit and include more of the tree in the picture. Dead space on the left half.

Just my opinions, like you say it's perspective, each person has his/her own preference.

#1, chair is 'chopped' off, move closer to it and include the whole chair. Same as #2.
#3 is interesting, just that focus seems to be off or due to motion blur.
#4 would be more interesting if you can find a rusty chain, try B&W version of it.
#5 I would move closer, and try to shoot in the direction of the statue's field of view and hopefully there's something interesting for the statue to 'stare at'.
#6 Telephone chopped off, try shooting at portrait orientation (vertical).
#7 the CNY sign is chopped off again, maybe I would fill up the whole frame with the logo and let the viewers see the background blur through the holes in the words.
#8 I would include the whole 'incense pot'
#9 too much dead space on the left, unless your focus is on the white paint on the wall.
#10 Try portrait orientation and include the whole head. The focus might be on the right eye, not really on the background wall.
#11 You might want to back off abit and include more of the tree in the picture. Dead space on the left half.

Just my opinions, like you say it's perspective, each person has his/her own preference.

Actually for #1, the chair is made to be cut off in the middle. I tend to take many half shots with my subject on the right, creating negative space on the right. I don't know, but I guess I could call it my own "style".

Nevertheless, thank you very much for your kind comments, and I will take note of them, and hopefully manage to take better shots in future. :)