Perspective

Noisky

Dec 6, 2007
I wanted to capture the night activity in boat quay, but Instead of taking a shot head-on towards the row of stalls/shops I thought of having a different perspective.
I used the people seated on the steps as foreground and using those steps as leading line towards the background. Was it effective ? Want to know what others would do in a situation.

Nice snapshot..was it effective? It depends on what you have in mind. Usually if shot like landscape there would be a foreground ( a relatively large detailed subject..eg. the couple at the left bottom corner or some other detail) and background which will make it interesting having a constrasting perspective. You have horizontal lines ,roofs and diagonal line, steps perhaps if you shot at lower angle close to floor, you have to give the eyes something to look at as now the details are relatively small. An exagerated perspect also helps. Thanks for sharing. :)

Thanks.. indeed theres a contradiction between landscape and something like street photography in this shot. And It appears I have mixed both.
Your feedback indeed make sense and surely help frame the way I compose next time.

First of all, don't get caught up in what is landscape and what is street photography. The best pictures don't care much about these definitions, instead they evoke a response in you. So, does this picture evoke something in me? Yes, confusion. I can't really figure out what you intend to show (= emphasize on).
On the left the people with their phones calling for attention. Then the leading lines in the middle of the image towards the right without anything they lead to. They just get cut off. The area with people is uniform, nothing that catches the eye. Behind all this the towering large building. Yes, you have frozen a moment of the night life. But it's just that, nothing that stands out.
Either step back / frame wider (lose the details of the people) or get closer and isolate a few and / or something interesting.

Reactions: Noisky
First of all, don't get caught up in what is landscape and what is street photography. The best pictures don't care much about these definitions, instead they evoke a response in you. So, does this picture evoke something in me? Yes, confusion. I can't really figure out what you intend to show (= emphasize on).
On the left the people with their phones calling for attention. Then the leading lines in the middle of the image towards the right without anything they lead to. They just get cut off. The area with people is uniform, nothing that catches the eye. Behind all this the towering large building. Yes, you have frozen a moment of the night life. But it's just that, nothing that stands out.
Either step back / frame wider (lose the details of the people) or get closer and isolate a few and / or something interesting.

Yeah, that was what I thought after looking at it.. it lacked the background subject !! If there was a boat where the lines lead to, it would have upped the overall scene and made it more interesting. And thanks for the feedback. Very interesting.

I wanted to capture the night activity in boat quay

Since that was you intent, I think you have done it. Technically a nicely exposed image, showing people sitting on the steps while others were enjoying their dinner beside the river. Nothing really distracting from what you wanted to show.

Using foreground / background, leading lines etc are composition techniques to help you to show what you wanted. If there was a boat where the lines lead to, then the story may be different. Depending on how you do it, it may add to the number of activities happening in boat quay, or your story may change and the main subject may become the boat.

What the seniors are advising you is how to make your image 'stand out' / 'creative'... If that was your intent, then you probably have to think it through and define your intent more specifically, like what the seniors always say: What is the subject? What is the story you want to tell? Then walk around and see how to use the various composition techniques to achieve your intent and vision.

I also feel that the writeup required for Critique Corner section is useful. As you think through writing it, many times you probably would have answered your own question of whether is it effective.
https://www.clubsnap.com/threads/how-to-do-a-short-writeup-for-critique.275677/

Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: Noisky
Since that was you intent, I think you have done it. Technically a nicely exposed image, showing people sitting on the steps while others were enjoying their dinner beside the river. Nothing really distracting from what you wanted to show.

Using foreground / background, leading lines etc are composition techniques to help you to show what you wanted. If there was a boat where the lines lead to, then the story may be different. Depending on how you do it, it may add to the number of activities happening in boat quay, or your story may change and the main subject may become the boat.

What the seniors are advising you is how to make your image 'stand out' / 'creative'... If that was your intent, then you probably have to think it through and define your intent more specifically, like what the seniors always say: What is the subject? What is the story you want to tell? Then walk around and see how to use the various composition techniques to achieve your intent and vision.

I also feel that the writeup required for Critique Corner section is useful. As you think through writing it, many times you probably would have answered your own question of whether is it effective.
https://www.clubsnap.com/threads/how-to-do-a-short-writeup-for-critique.275677/

Thanks for sharing!

On a hindsight it indeed capture what I wanted. Boils down to a matter of perspective :) I have placed more distance to where the action was instead of a close-up and more intimate shot. Thanks

Wah so colorful at night like Cartoon Simpsons yellow. Oversharpened.

Last edited: