Perspective Distortion

Status
Not open for further replies.

raymond350

Mar 19, 2006
North East
www.flickr.com
I've taken this photo and realised the distortion of the vertical lines is really bad.

I am aware that vertical lines will be present if the lens is tilted up/down, not sure about paning left/right (as in the case in this photo). Tried the lens distortion filter in photoshop but still can't get the lines straight. Also tried the transform tool to adjust the 4 corners, but the final result is just weird.

Why does the vertical lines turn out like this and is there a way to avoid it when taking the shot? If not, what is the best way to correct it?
distortion.jpg

best way to avoid it? take the building straight on..

As you already mentioned, perspective distortion happens when your lens is not aligned parallel to the building. Panning will alter the horizontal lines as well. Its not always possible to shoot a building straight on. If you can't, there are few ways to get around this problem.

Use a shift lens / view camera to correct the distortion at the point of shooting.
Use a wide angle lens and crop any excess part after.
Correct the distortion in post editing i.e. Photoshop.
You can always explore alternative angles to shoot a building i.e. using the distortion to accentuate the dynamic lines of the building.

209067791_357141ed41.jpg

209140791_bd214084a0.jpg

By making sure your film plane is parallel to the subject.

As you already mentioned, perspective distortion happens when your lens is not aligned parallel to the building. Panning will alter the horizontal lines as well. Its not always possible to shoot a building straight on.

So panning affect both vertical lines as well even if tilt angle is zero?

So panning affect both vertical lines as well even if tilt angle is zero?

Yes because you most probably won't be standing on levelled ground. Panning does affect your verticals to certain extend. That's why you should align your verticals and horizons after you compose a picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.