Persistant Cough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I didn't go overseas before I caught it. The funny thing is that, instead of AH, the Ministry of Environment called me to inform me that I had Legionnaire Disease. Actually, they wanted to find out further information from me to determine which shopping centre I used to frequent. I understood they were worried of an outbreak of this disease. The Legionella bacteria that caused this disease are usually found in air-con cooling towers used in shopping centres and commercial buildings. Legionnaire Disease, though curable, is deadly and can be fatal to old folks.

Yes, that would be correct.

The institution that saw you was obliged to inform CDC within a day. Legionnaire's disease is classified as "notifiable". CDC very likely advised the Ministry of Environment to give you a call.

if still no improvement as those suggest...go x-ray... i have a real bad n long cough last Feb n found out has slight lung infection ....went AnE during CNY..:cry:

Good advice! Also add
- dun eat chicken
- dun eat eggs
I am one of those who used to have persistant cough. Sometimes we don't quite take these suggestions seriously but trust me they all matter. You'll feel the effect if you can dsicipline yourself in these.;)

besides eating medicine, watching daily diet is impt.
- dun drink cold drink
- dun eat citrus thing such as orange, lemon, orange juices
- dun eat fried food
- dune at spicy food
- dun sleep in aircon room

What are your lifestyle changes?
Care to share with us?

Hi Sathea

Sorry for late reply. Just got back after a long day at work.

Some lifestyle changes include:
- avoid certain western medicine if can avoid
- breathing exercises
- stop alcohol and beer
- reduce intake of carbonated drinks
- take extra rest when needed
- learn to relax even in the most pressing situation
- discover and avoid trigger factors that activate your coughing

The other points were already covered in my earlier posting.

For the record, I had been without steroid based ventolin for > 5yrs and my asthma surfaced two mild recurrances within this period after a very bad flu. In those two occassions, i took normal medcine which my family doctor gave.

Note that each person has a different set of trigger factors for asthma. It can also be a combination of a few allergies sometimes. It usually can be a result of a bad flu.

Like I mentioned, seeing a good doctor is best. The other important person is ourself to take care of our own body. And, last but not least, listen to the people beside us (mom, wife, colleague) to help us realise some trigger factors which we are not aware ourself.

In the old days, a flu or a bug can be easily cured with instant Chinese herbs (liang teh) or simple antibiotics (eg Tetracyclines). These days, there are many advanced mutation of the bugs. Many such superbugs are not quite treatable. That makes the lucrative drug industry produce stronger, meaner medication to kill a range of bugs. With stronger medication, it hurts our body more and the side effects can cause a range of health problems. Also, not known to many people, there are differences between bacteria flu and viral flu. A viral flu can be a cycle which may not quite react to modern antibiotics.

To really pen down all my thoughts would take me a long time to do so, but I wont want to do it here in an open forum. I may step on certain tails in this profession...

Also, your mileage will vary even if you followed my instruction to a T.

Learn about yourself to discover your own cure. The doctor is there to help, but is not a miracle healer.

Spent almost $100 on Ma Guang liaoz....still no recovery in sight....everytime after work in aircon room end up bad again :cry:

your cough issit with phlegm ?? or dry cough?

Spent almost $100 on Ma Guang liaoz....still no recovery in sight....everytime after work in aircon room end up bad again :cry:

Hmmm.....very likely one of the following:

1) Post viral hyper-sensitivity cough.

2) Allergic rhinitis with post nasal drip.

Do see a physician you trust for a through check.

May need some anti-sensitivity medication like Singulair, or a short course of inhaled steroids.

Bernard

P.S. No need to get too worried about steroids. It's just another tool in medicine. Like any tool (eg : fire), it's good when used correctly, but has the potential to be troublesome if abused. You would not believe how many lives are saved by steroids on a daily basis.

Most, if not all of Western medicines are actually pure (ie: concentrated) forms of naturally occuring compounds found in plants or animals (eg: snake venom).

For those who believe that folk medicine is "harmless",
Traditional Chinese Medicines (TCM) may also contain steroids (plant steroids). There have been reported cases of steroidal side effects occuring in patients consuming TCM. This is possible as there is no proper supervision, and there is no way to ascertain the amount of steroids in any one dose of TCM. Prescribing in that field is an imperfect art, at best. Has anybody tried asking the TCM questions like "How much fever medicine is there in this priscription?", or "What are the possible side effects?", or "Does this medicine interact with other medication", or "Is this safe in pregnancy?" and obtained a reassuring (ie: backed by data & experiments), convincing answer?

Throughout the years, I have also heard of anecdotal cases of TCM practitioners crushing Western medicine pills (eg: steroids and pain-killers) and mixing them with their concoction. That's why I personally agree with the recent move by the authorities to regulate and license TCM practitioners. This makes it more difficult for rouge practitioners to peddle their art.

The advantage of taking Western medicine over TCM is you actually know what compound, and how much of it you are taking. This comes with the full knowledge of side-effects and drug-drug interaction profiles of the substance.

The aim of this dissertation is not to dis-credit TCM. TCM has a part to play in medicine. As we have already established, most medicines come from natural products, and a through study of plants used in TCM may yield new treatment options.

If TCM works for you, good, go for it. However, please do not blindly accept the oft heard claim that TCM is harmless simply because it uses herbs. Caveat emptor.

if it's a "cold" cough, eat more "heaty" food. stay away from chicken (gives more phlegm) and ice-cold water (induces more dry coughing).

I had a cold/flu 2 weeks ago, went see doctor took antibiotics...it eventually recovered but now left with this persistant dry cough...which after seeing the doctor for the 2nd time, just gave cough medication. :( It doesn't seems to work. Any herbal remedies to recommend? :dunno:
If it's dry cough, drink warm Milo. Don't take cough suppressants, it will make it worse. If there is still phlegm and you're coughing to expel it, go to the doctor for some expectorant, otherwise, start to take vitamin C regularly. It helps.

how's the threadstarter?
i've finally recovered! after seeing TCM doctor for 3/4 weeks :)

how's the threadstarter?
i've finally recovered! after seeing TCM doctor for 3/4 weeks :)

Hi, I am glad you have recovered. If not, I would have warned you regarding persistent coughing. My GP once told me that one of the symtom of HIV is PC. Anyway you are ok now.

Cheers.

I am still coughing :( , but its not as bad as before. :) I've even bought an air purifier to put in my room.... :what:

I am still coughing :( , but its not as bad as before. :) I've even bought an air purifier to put in my room.... :what:

Hi, we are Asians, so try having shower early before the night falls if you can.
Lungs maybe weak or sensitive on the nose to trigger whatever cough.Try not
to sleep in the aircon and put on a pair of socks while you sleep in the aircon
as our feet absorb the cool air and raise to the lungs to trigger too. Make a note
whenever you consume anything and this will help you to find out what is triggering
your cough. Take out fruits from the fridge and leave it for a day at room temperature
before consuming or maybe overnight if taking the next morning. You must try and avoid
food that not allow or allergy to you too. A water base purifier will helps to moist your
throat if there is a dry cough. Once again, remember that everytime you have a sore throat
do not take any herbal tea but just warm water.If not you will bound to have a cough
after sore throat. Prevent is better than cure. All of the above will help in a way or another, take note. Always keep your chest warm while in a air room.

Status
Not open for further replies.