Permission of taking photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permission for not of.

Just curious...

Streats had a big article on the "inconsiderate" folks on the mrt on monday (12 may). They actually photographed and categorised the different types of "inconsiderate" folks.

Has Streats "committed" infridgement of privacy by publishing the photos?

I was at the concourse of the esplanade theatres by the bay, and was told by security not to take pictures of the interior architecture, such as ceiling, wall, etc. Reason being I may be infringing copyright :what:

But then was told by the same security supervisor that I was allowed to take pictures of the art works on display. :dunno:

Do you think this security supervisor knows what he was talking about? Anyone got similar experience?

Originally posted by Ansel
I was at the concourse of the esplanade theatres by the bay, and was told by security not to take pictures of the interior architecture, such as ceiling, wall, etc. Reason being I may be infringing copyright :what:

But then was told by the same security supervisor that I was allowed to take pictures of the art works on display. :dunno:

Do you think this security supervisor knows what he was talking about? Anyone got similar experience?
Huh? I got approached by a security guard outside Millena Walk for talking photos. I didn't know that exterior also can't take photos?!!!

Inside CHIMJES definitely cannot take photos if you armed with SLR and big lenses!!!

No experience with esplanade yet\

Originally posted by Pegasus
Huh? I got approached by a security guard outside Millena Walk for talking photos. I didn't know that exterior also can't take photos?!!!

Inside CHIMJES definitely cannot take photos if you armed with SLR and big lenses!!!

No experience with esplanade yet\

Anyone knows why!!!???

OK next time I'll bring a P&S camera and act like a tourist.

I was stopped todae by the secuity while trying to take photograph of the my office building. Personally i wld understand that as some buildings are rather "sensitive" for phototaking.

BTW, any of u have such experience of being stopped when u r taking pics of building that are exposed to all public?

Originally posted by Pegasus

Who knows maybe the next time you are at the Merlion, you will be stopped by some security guard from taking photographs. :devil: :D

I really don't understand why. Isn't CHIJMES a tourist spot too?

Also, I was once stopped from using a tripod (it was 10pm then) outside the Raffles Hotel.

No one can stop you from taking photos anywhere actually. However if you are in a building, if you ignore the building manager's requests for you to stop photographing, he may be able to kick you out on grounds of trespass (however its unclear whether a security guard has the same authority).

---Added in---

And if you have ALREADY taken the photos, the security guard has no right to confiscate the film or whatever from you.

Cheers!

-----

In the case of taking photos of a building from OUTSIDE the building, e.g. across the road etc, there shouldn't be any problem with that. No guard from inside the building should be able to stop you from taking photos outside of the building. SO go ahead and take your photos. If there is any problem ask them to call the police n settle. If they try to strongarm you, be sure to whip out ur mobile and dial 999 and make a lot of noise and attract attention.

Hope this uplifts those building photographers' spirits :)
:)

Originally posted by vince123123

In the case of taking photos of a building from OUTSIDE the building, e.g. across the road etc, there shouldn't be any problem with that. No guard from inside the building should be able to stop you from taking photos outside of the building. SO go ahead and take your photos. If there is any problem ask them to call the police n settle. If they try to strongarm you, be sure to whip out ur mobile and dial 999 and make a lot of noise and attract attention.

Hope this uplifts those building photographers' spirits :)
:)

Wat happen if u r stopped by a police prohibiting u from taking photos of a building??? which no. to dial then?:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Joseph
Wat happen if u r stopped by a police prohibiting u from taking photos of a building??? which no. to dial then?:rolleyes:

If you are stopped by the Police, ask for an explaination. The Police are not unreasonable.

I was...and i accepted their reasonings.
But i am curious if there is really such a need to seek for permission to take photos of building even if the building is "exposed" to everyone's eyes.

I was...and i accepted their reasonings.
But i am curious if there is really such a need to seek for permission to take photos of building even if the building is "exposed" to everyone's eyes.

I believe that if you take photographs from a public place, eg. on the street, then the security will have no reasons to stop you. Seeking permission when taking photos on the street? Sounds funny to me.

But of course, don't go around taking photos of buildings in restricted areas, eg. army camps.

Originally posted by mervlam
I believe that if you take photographs from a public place, eg. on the street, then the security will have no reasons to stop you. Seeking permission when taking photos on the street? Sounds funny to me.

But of course, don't go around taking photos of buildings in restricted areas, eg. army camps.

pardon mi for my ignorance...if ...i mean If...if u wana take photos of restricted places...any tips or tricks to go abt taking such photos??

I think the police have better things to do than to stop people from taking photographs, unless its like army camps or restricted areas like someone pointed out. normal buildings or sculptures will not be covered.

If a policeman really stops you (which is very unlikely) just take down his name n rank and later speak to his commanding officer lor :)

Cheers
!

pardon mi for my ignorance...if ...i mean If...if u wana take photos of restricted places...any tips or tricks to go abt taking such photos??

as an ex-member of the SAF, i don't encourage it. if you do so, then risk being arrested (whether by the Police, the duty guards or the Regimental/Military Police) and charged.

thanks...
guess i can forget abt shooting my office... :rolleyes:

oh yah...vince...u forget abt taking down service no. of that police officer too...heee....

Why forget abt shooting ur office? where is ur office b uilding? dont tell me inside army camp meh

thanks...
guess i can forget abt shooting my office... :rolleyes:

oh yah...vince...u forget abt taking down service no. of that police officer too...heee....

Originally posted by vince123123
Why forget abt shooting ur office? where is ur office b uilding? dont tell me inside army camp meh

Its a restricted place :embrass: ...and i was actually stopped by a police...erm cisco police to be exact.

Actually, read somewhere that photography is restricted in certain office buildings is because of security concerns. They don't want you taking pictures which could you use to potentially plan illegal access to the buildings. For example, as far as I know, fire-escapes, external exits to internal stairwells, roof access, M&E installations place etc etc are all strictly restricted subjects. It's similar to the same reason why blueprints of buildings are not readily available to the public.

Who knows if you could be a terrorist planning to gain access to the building or not? Anyway, for the issue on Millenia Walk as well as the surrounding buildings, you can take pictures as long as you register yourself with the security desk in the building I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.