Permanent 'spot' on CMOS sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunyanbug

Apr 27, 2007
After years of waiting i finally bought my first DSLR three weeks ago, a Canon 30D - after spending three months from researching the several world wide websites. The following is my nightmare.

Week 0-1.5:
Getting myself to familiarize with the camera by shooting. I then realized that there were some 'dust spots' on my images - just viewing from the 2.5" LCD. Did the necessary blow-cleaning in as dust-free an environment i can get to. To no avail.

Week 1.5-2: Brought camera to Canon Singapore for checking and cleaning services. Technician did the 'job' and assured all was fine as he did some 'tests' after cleaning.
Good job, i thought, as i was leaving for a volcano shoot, or so i thought.

Week 2-3: Volcano shooting trip - after several frames i noticed that the same 'dust spots' were still evident especially at f/8 and above. Upon returning home i viewed my pictures and was VERY disturbed as many pictures turned out with the 'dust spots'. (Yes, i tried cleaning during my trip.) And all this while i only used one lens, Canon EF 17-40mm F4L.

Week 3 to Tues 24 April: Brought camera to Canon Singapore (again). Technician (Ms Sharon Tan) cleaned it, 'tested' it and said all was fine. I did an on-the-spot testing on a white paper and viewed at 50% blow-up, 'dust still evident'. She then said "it's only a bit..., even with all new cameras... ." Next came their Service Exec, Mr Nicholas Tan. After a lenghthy discussion he agreed to do a thorough clean-up and if the problem is still visible he will have it changed. Good, or so i thought.

Thurs 26 April: Was with Mr Nicholas Tan again. He gave me a 'NEW' set and told me that after "testing three NEW sets, this was the best" - there is still a clear mark on the image.
I have no choice BUT to accept this 'new' set as i leave for Vietnam today. I even asked Mr Tan to look for another set and upon my return from Vietnam i can do an exchange but he was VERY reluctant - kept insisting that there's no such unit out there.

A dark spot is very, very evident at f/11 at 50% blow-up. At f/22 it is even clearer. Mr Tan assured me that, "It is very rare that a camera's CMOS sensor is spotless. Even with the CCD on other makes."

This spot upon closer viewing seems to bear the signature of a burnt - at least that is what it appears to me. Nevertheless it is a permanent one.

Dear reader, is this acceptable to you? Am i been to demanding for a perfect CMOS sensor with no permanent spots from a brand new 30D? Did you ever had such a problem encountered - whether it's CMOS or CCD? Canon Singapore seem rather reluctant to change my camera to a better one and it seems that their technician and Service Executive is adamant about their claim that there's virtually no Canon camera with a CMOS sensor that doesn't bear a permanent mark.

So where do i go from here? No point in dealing with the folks here. Is there a feedback address to Canon Japan?

My frank opinion - Canon Singapore's integrity leaves much to be desired.

Any assistance and feedback will be appreciated.

Regards,
moses

If dust is such a concern to you - and seemingly causing you so much anxieties - then dump Canon and switch to Olympus with its unmatched SSWF technology. Thats one reason I switched from Nikon. But if on the balance of things, you yet prefer Canon, then I cannot say anything.

NPNT. did you try the body with other lenses?

My experiences with Canon Service Centre has been wonderful so far.

Maybe you can post some 100% crops of the dust spots then we'll tell you whether we feel if there is anything to worry about....

Different people tend to differ when it comes to this sort of things.... most of us accept that a bit of dust is unavoidable while others demand a completely spotless cmos (impossible)

Canon service centre uses sensor swabs to do the cmos cleaning... if this doesn't remove the dust very likely the dust is stuck onto the sensor due to there being moisture at 1 point in time... if this happens, no amount of SSWF / anti dust shaking will remove the dust... only solution is more sensor swabbing and hope the ethanol solution on the sensor swab will free the stuck dust....

Hi there - thanks for your reply. However i do not have the images as the tests were done at Canon's Service Centre using their CF card and shown to me on their screen.

Rgds,
moses

Hi espion, thanks for your reply.

Rgds,
moses

Hi yanyewkay - thanks for your reply. Personally i did not as the tests were done at Canon's Service Centre. I was told by their Service Executive that they used prime lenses for such tests.

Rgds,
moses

Dear ALL - this is bunyanbug, appreciate if you could drop me a line. However, i have a plane to catch to Vietnam now. I will view your replies and correspond with you as soon as i can.

Rgds,
moses

After years of waiting i finally bought my first DSLR three weeks ago, a Canon 30D - after spending three months from researching the several world wide websites. The following is my nightmare.

Week 0-1.5:
Getting myself to familiarize with the camera by shooting. I then realized that there were some 'dust spots' on my images - just viewing from the 2.5" LCD. Did the necessary blow-cleaning in as dust-free an environment i can get to. To no avail.

Week 1.5-2: Brought camera to Canon Singapore for checking and cleaning services. Technician did the 'job' and assured all was fine as he did some 'tests' after cleaning.
Good job, i thought, as i was leaving for a volcano shoot, or so i thought.

Week 2-3: Volcano shooting trip - after several frames i noticed that the same 'dust spots' were still evident especially at f/8 and above. Upon returning home i viewed my pictures and was VERY disturbed as many pictures turned out with the 'dust spots'. (Yes, i tried cleaning during my trip.) And all this while i only used one lens, Canon EF 17-40mm F4L.

Week 3 to Tues 24 April: Brought camera to Canon Singapore (again). Technician (Ms Sharon Tan) cleaned it, 'tested' it and said all was fine. I did an on-the-spot testing on a white paper and viewed at 50% blow-up, 'dust still evident'. She then said "it's only a bit..., even with all new cameras... ." Next came their Service Exec, Mr Nicholas Tan. After a lenghthy discussion he agreed to do a thorough clean-up and if the problem is still visible he will have it changed. Good, or so i thought.

Thurs 26 April: Was with Mr Nicholas Tan again. He gave me a 'NEW' set and told me that after "testing three NEW sets, this was the best" - there is still a clear mark on the image.
I have no choice BUT to accept this 'new' set as i leave for Vietnam today. I even asked Mr Tan to look for another set and upon my return from Vietnam i can do an exchange but he was VERY reluctant - kept insisting that there's no such unit out there.

A dark spot is very, very evident at f/11 at 50% blow-up. At f/22 it is even clearer. Mr Tan assured me that, "It is very rare that a camera's CMOS sensor is spotless. Even with the CCD on other makes."

This spot upon closer viewing seems to bear the signature of a burnt - at least that is what it appears to me. Nevertheless it is a permanent one.

Dear reader, is this acceptable to you? Am i been to demanding for a perfect CMOS sensor with no permanent spots from a brand new 30D? Did you ever had such a problem encountered - whether it's CMOS or CCD? Canon Singapore seem rather reluctant to change my camera to a better one and it seems that their technician and Service Executive is adamant about their claim that there's virtually no Canon camera with a CMOS sensor that doesn't bear a permanent mark.

So where do i go from here? No point in dealing with the folks here. Is there a feedback address to Canon Japan?

My frank opinion - Canon Singapore's integrity leaves much to be desired.

Any assistance and feedback will be appreciated.

Regards,
moses

could be dead spots..
from what i understand, dead spots are tested and marked
and interpolated over....
does it look like some spots were interpolated?
if single dead pixel on ccd, then after interpolation, will not be noticeable at all.
but if a whole group dead together then got problems.
if 2 ccds also have the same area, then could be very bad manufacturing process defect..
in this case try find similar buyers and group together..

take some pics preferbaby on some iso test patterns or some grids
post the defects pixel location and your camera details...
see if others have the same black spots..

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.