Peripheral illumination correction on Canon 60D

Status
Not open for further replies.

LibraryEx

Nov 15, 2011
Hi guys,

I have a question about the peripheral illumination correction on the Canon 60D. I understand that it's a technical 'defect' when the edges are darker in photos, but from what I understand from some aesthetic theories is that it's a good thing to frame your photo in such a way as to redirect the viewer's eyes back to the centerpiece, and darkened edges seem to be doing a good job at that.

Hence, this question: Is the peripheral illumination correction function on the Canon 60D really a good thing? Or should I disable it? I know this can be a matter of taste, but I'm not experienced enough in photography to answer this.

Thank you!
James

I'd leave it on.

Vignetting can be nice, used sparingly and with discretion, but you can always apply the effect later for those photos that can benefit from it.

It may not be so good when your subject is off-centre.

The effect is called "vignetting".
If you shoot JPG the correction is applied immediately, on RAW you need to use DPP.
Just keep it turned on, and apply vignetting effect in post i.e. Photoshop/ACR.

Hi guys,

I have a question about the peripheral illumination correction on the Canon 60D. I understand that it's a technical 'defect' when the edges are darker in photos, but from what I understand from some aesthetic theories is that it's a good thing to frame your photo in such a way as to redirect the viewer's eyes back to the centerpiece, and darkened edges seem to be doing a good job at that.

Hence, this question: Is the peripheral illumination correction function on the Canon 60D really a good thing? Or should I disable it? I know this can be a matter of taste, but I'm not experienced enough in photography to answer this.

Thank you!
James

Well, vignetting can easily be added later on. I'm not sure if it will slow down shooting, but personally, it is not hard to correct in post, so I would turn it off.

Hmm... Then i guess I'll have to experiment a bit. Thanks for all the advise!

Status
Not open for further replies.