Peril of our hobby

Hmmm this is interesting, I guess once in a while we have to think like the subject.

Let's say you personally don't want, and then you saw someone took a picture of you in a public property (and let's say nothing wrong with that according to the law). What action will you take?

Well as much as I dont like my picture to be taken I would never confront someone for taking my picture I just avoid being in front of the lens :p (includes me moving away whenever i see a lens pointed at me). Guess that is what being a good street photographer is. Taking a picture without your subject becoming aware of it or making them comfortable to pose for you

double post :sorry

Last edited:
You should an continous shoot of her whenever she turn her back,

her back facing you = shoot her continously for her to hear the sound.
if she turn to face you, = wait for bus

The law says it's ok for photographer to take photos of stranger in public.

But the law also doesn't say the subject cannot protest to being shot right?

So it's fair what. You have the right to take the stranger's photo. But the stranger also has the right to refuse or request for the photo to be deleted. You can refuse to delete the photo or refuse to stop shooting, but you can't stop them from protesting. They have the right to protest and to request not be to shot or filmed.

So it's fair enough.

Well as much as I dont like my picture to be taken I would never confront someone for taking my picture I just avoid being in front of the lens :p (includes me moving away whenever i see a lens pointed at me). Guess that is what being a good street photographer is. Taking a picture without your subject becoming aware of it or making them comfortable to pose for you

If only all our subjects are as polite as you.. =)

Imagine going street photography in Geylang or other 'similar' areas at night.. I think most of the 'bodyguards' there will act like Incredible Hulk LOL.

You should an continous shoot of her whenever she turn her back,

that is if TS like her.. if not, better shoot silently, turn on silent mode, or .......

buy RF

;p

If only all our subjects are as polite as you.. =)

Imagine going street photography in Geylang or other 'similar' areas at night.. I think most of the 'bodyguards' there will act like Incredible Hulk LOL.

he he... i think its better to shoot from the hip in Geylang... bringing a camera up to your eye is only inviting really bad trouble

Today, after work, I took the MRT and alighted at the Hougang station & walked to the MRT's station bicycle lots to take some photos. After I'm done shooting, I walked to a nearby bus stop for my bus home.

While waiting for my bus, someone tapped on my shoulder and beckoned me to follow her. I was stunned for a while and stayed put.

Seeing that i'm not budging, she asked, "Did u take my photo?' in mandarin.

I answered "No."

"I was sitting at the steps just now and i 'beow" you for a long time, you must have taken my photos. I want to have a look at your camera" she said, still maintaining her soft spoken manner.

"I have the right to not show you, but it's ok, I'll show it to you" I said, knowing that I'll prove her wrong.

I pointed the camera's LCD to her and scrolled through the images, seeing nothing of herself, she raised her hand in a apologetic manner. I shaked my head a few times, just for the effect to make her feel ridiculous.

I already have little courage to do streets photo and yet I have to "suffer" this!

I'm just curious: what camera were you using? These days I'm very skittish about using my DSLR for streets, and prefer to use either my GF3 or X100.

So far I've been lucky; I've only had people looking away when I point the camera at them. Hoping I never encounter what you (and another friend who got scolded) did. :(

I'm just curious: what camera were you using? These days I'm very skittish about using my DSLR for streets, and prefer to use either my GF3 or X100.

So far I've been lucky; I've only had people looking away when I point the camera at them. Hoping I never encounter what you (and another friend who got scolded) did. :(

I was using the bad ass D700 with super loud shutter sound. I wasn't doing streets that day, just taking shots of bicycles and just my luck to have a self conscious person accusing me, heheh

9V-Orion Images said:
Really a non issue, small kids don't often confront fully grown adult strangers by themself.

Haha but 99% of my subjects are fully grown adults lei. OT a bit, I've found Indians to be somewhat friendlier. Had several of them actually pose for me. :D

cichlid said:
I was using the bad ass D700 with super loud shutter sound. I wasn't doing streets that day, just taking shots of bicycles and just my luck to have a self conscious person accusing me, heheh

Ya luck of the game I think.. So ironic too when you're not actually doing streets and yet get confronted. :p