Performance of these Sigma lenses. Any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caomhin

Hi All,
Have you owned/ used these lenses before?
How are these?

Sigmas
24-60mm F2.8 EX DG
24-70mm F2.8 EX DG MACRO
18-50mm F2.8 EX DC

Using them for normal walkabout shooting on digi and well as film bodies (except for the DC one which is for digi only)

Appreciate any feedback on the performances.
Thanks!

Caomhin said:
Hi All,
How are these?

Sigmas
24-60mm F2.8 EX DG
24-70mm F2.8 EX DG MACRO
18-50mm F2.8 EX DC

Using them for normal walkabout shooting on digi and well as film bodies (except for the DC one which is for digi only)

Thanks!
Don't bother, go for Nikkors.

the 24-70 has been said to rival 24-70 canon L Lenses. that said, i think wide open, it could be better. Performance is generally excellent. distortion is perfect.

you get really good macro ratios: 1:2 with the digital crop. add a 2X converter on it.. and you get a pretty incredible 1:1 210mm f5.6 macro lens.

thats just me. get one and revel at its sharpness.

Hi there,

I would certainly recommended the Sigma 24-70 EX DG Macro. Its a stellar performer if you're looking for an alternative to the Nikon 28-70. The focussing motor is pretty noisy if you're used to the silent ones. The only prob I see in this lens is the range. Its a its a 36-105mm in 35mm format. Other than that, its a great lens and value for money.

The Sigma 18-50, even though its 2.8, doesnt live up to its value. The one that I tried, a couple of them actually, were soft wide open and the front rotating element is really a hassle. CA is really bad until F4. I wouldnt recommend this lens unless you're really worried about the range of the 24-70.

Hope that helps. Sorry but I dont have any samples with me. Best is if you could go down to the shop and give it a try for yourself. Cheers!

Hazmee

get the tokina 28-80/2.8 instead if ur looking for a nikkor replacement.

Don't bother with 3rd parties. Get Nikkors always. :thumbsup:

hazmee said:
The Sigma 18-50, even though its 2.8, doesnt live up to its value. The one that I tried, a couple of them actually, were soft wide open and the front rotating element is really a hassle. CA is really bad until F4. I wouldnt recommend this lens unless you're really worried about the range of the 24-70.

Wat do u mean by dat? Do u mean e front rotates while focussing? If so I dun think so. Anywayz, I've used diz lens n itz great! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hi All,
How are these?

Sigmas
24-60mm F2.8 EX DG
24-70mm F2.8 EX DG MACRO
18-50mm F2.8 EX DC

Thanks!

Check diz out!

http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english/pro/takahashi/

espn said:
Nikkors... Nikkors...

Agreed Nikkors r exceptional.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

But shud give a break to those who r budget constrained.;)

hazmee & ouyang, i'm a bit surprised to hear this lens is good. but it sounds really promising.

hazta said:
Agreed Nikkors r exceptional.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

But shud give a break to those who r budget constrained.;)
Heee... can't help it, seen so many buy/sells here and there finally to end up with Nikkors... so might as well bite the bullet get it over and done with.

I owned the 24-70/2.8 before. It was my walkaround lens on the F100. Didn't bother to use this nice lens on DSLR, thanks to the crop factor.

Pros :
Value for money!
Contrasty color and sharp from f5.6 onwards
Excellent range for film (Nikon doesn't even make any 24-70/2.8 lenses)
Not much distortion at 24mm wide end. :thumbsup:

Cons :
Soft wide open (common problem with Sigmas)
Zen finish peels off easily (common problem with Sigmas)
Huge filter size - 82mm
Big and heavy

Status
Not open for further replies.