Performance of the Tamron 28-75 f:2.8 xrdi on a film body?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alloy

Nov 30, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
Actually considering the purchase of the tamron 28-75 xrdi lens due to its good reviews in many forums. But many of the users are using digital bodies, hence im really not very sure of the lens performance when used on a film body, i.e under 1:1 condition, any prominant distortion at full wide or have edges that looks soft. Usually due to crop factor, most of the lens edge has been masked out so those distortions or soft edges have been excluded if its present in the first place. However if the lens is used on a film body or any body without the crop factor it should show up.

Hope those who have used this lens on a film body fill me in about its performance, weakness and strengths. Thank U :)

So far after reading up for f:2.8 constant lenses for 28-70/75/80 range, the tamron scores the highest in third party lens. If the tamron isnt good what a better alternative besides the L lens.

Thank U :)

The performance on film is slightly better than the Tokina 28-70 ATX Pro II which I used to own. It is sharp from f4 onwards at all focal lengths. Generally it is about as sharp as the Tokina at 1 stop wider. Geometric distortion at wide angle is somewhat similar to the Tokina with slight barrel distortion visible.

Some images taken with this lens:
http://www.spectrawerkz.com/MovableType/archives/2004_03.html
http://www.spectrawerkz.com/MovableType/archives/2004_04.html

Nice Pics :)
Most of them were shot at f4 and above, does that mean that the lens is too soft at wide open to be used at all? Cos i wanted the lens to be used wide open when im shooting indoors and get as much available light as possible to balance out the flash. If the lens really performs so poorly wide open that its useless even for a 4/5R pic then i might have to reconsider. Heard this lens is nearly as good as the L but cost much much lesser thats why so tempted.

Thank U for ur advise :)

P.s. Notice u use sensia quite alot. U must be rather familiar with its colour tones. How does it differ from the provia?

It's acceptably sharp(for 4R prints) wide open, but you will see an improvement in sharpness in stepping down till about f5.6. There have been reports of sample variation with the Tamron and some people claim that theirs is sharp wide open. However, the ones belonging to my friends and mine are somewhat similar in performance, f2.8 is just acceptable and not sharp IMO. This is especially so when I'm scanning my slides and can see the differences clearly.

Actually my main slide film is Provia 100f, all the shots you've seen come from the only 2 rolls of Sensia that I've shot. The (new)Sensia that I've been using seems very slightly less saturated than Provia but with higher contrast and seems to have slightly more neutral colour.

Status
Not open for further replies.