Performance Notebook Hard Disks

Status
Not open for further replies.

vector1

Feb 3, 2007
I'm currently using a dell Inspiron 6400, with a 80GB 7200RPM hard disk.

I'm planning to upgrade to a bigger hard disk to hold more photos and programs, especially due to the size of those .CR2 files.

The Hitachi Travelstar line looks very interesting, offering a 200GB 7200 RPM hard disk for laptops. Is this already in Singapore for retail?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated, my criteria is that I would like to maintain a 7200RPM hard disk for the performance benefit, and the larger the better :bsmilie:. Please name the brand plus name of the hard disk, and if possible, where I can find it.

http://sg.hardwarezone.com/priceguide/priceguide.php?id=85&filter=&sortby=name&pg=1

7200 rpm hard disks for notebooks/laptops are pretty new and hence more expensive. Hitachi's Travelstar line I think is currently the most avaliable 7200rpm HDD. The link above will lead you to a list of avaliable 2.5" HDDs for notebooks. However, due to the compact size, capacity is still limited. High capacity, high speed HDDs are still within the desktop realm.

I suggest this, since you have a 7200rpm HDD already, buy an external 3.5" HDD of high capacity for storage. Off load all your data to this external HDD and keeps your 7200rpm HDD in your laptop clean (ie. Only Operating System and relevant programs so that PS has the scratch disk space and maybe frequently used files) Photos that you have edited put into the external storage. In this way, you keep your laptop running clean and fast and also prevent crashing of the system disk. It is also more cost effective this way.

To buy computer stuff, you'll have to go to the bane of photographers, SimLim square. For buying harddisks, this is where you'll get the best deal. Walk around, ask the shops, AND COMPARE prices between them. Also, since its a laptop, ask them to fix the new HDD for you if you still want a new internal one. Otherwise, the external HDD should need no fixing.

http://sg.hardwarezone.com/priceguide/priceguide.php?id=250

The next link above gives some info on external HDDs if you want to consider that. I strongly suggest going for an external HDD instead. but its up to you.

Your thread has just revived my interest in computer stuff which was what I was looking at all the time before I got hooked on photography.

Josh,

I already have a large 320GB external HDD on my network that I use for regular backups.

It's just that when I try to read or write to the HDD, it takes too long as compared loading it on my laptop to edit.

I rather keep the photos on my laptop, thus speeding up the processing when I want to locate and use a old photo.

Most of those HDDs in the link for laptops look pretty old? Are there any newer ones with larger capacities (ie >160gb)

The largest capacity Hitachi HDD is the Travelstar E7K200. That comes in 120Gb, 160GB and 200GB. For avaliability in Singapore, you'll really need to go down to SLS for this one.

Your external harddisk on your network must be on a wireless network. If you are using LAN connection it cannot be that very slow. Correct me if I am wrong. I suggest an external Harddisk that has a portability factor that you carry around with your laptop in the bag that is connected by firewire (USB is fast as well but may still be too slow for some, video editors use firewire more often). My friend does this as he has tons of data to store (he got a Seagate external HDD). 2.5" HDDs for the laptop is a very thin form factor and hence has a physical limitation to have high capacities. The platters have to made very thin, for double platter configurations in a 2.5" HDD. 3.5" HDDs are impossible to fit in today's thinner and thinner laptops. You'll need one of those old "bricks" that could fit such a thickness.

You'll also want to watch out for the different hard drive interfaces that is the IDE/ATA or the newer and faster SATA

Status
Not open for further replies.