Perfomance of microsd and sdcard

kababoom

Nov 23, 2004
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
any comments in terms of performance compared to microsd card with adapter and normal sdcard when shooting raw or video if both card have the same performance rating

I'm also curious if there's any speed loss by using an adapter

Last edited:
any comments in terms of performance compared to microsd card with adapter and normal sdcard when shooting raw or video if both card have the same performance rating

On the Sandisk website, their Sandisk Extreme Plus have both microSDHC and SDHC.
Their microSDHC 16GB write speed is up to 30MB/sec where as the SDHC 16GB write speed is up to 60MB/sec.
For this case, there is a difference.

MicroSD are by nature, alot slower than SD card. This is inherited from the NAND die size.

If both have the same read/write speed (in 4k, and sequential), I will still go with the SD card because of reliability.

The connection between the microSD and adapter = 1 more point of failure, oxidisation, loss of energy resulting also in more heat.

Do you experience power loss when using a travel adapter?

There is a loss of power.

Last edited:
MicroSD are by nature, alot slower than SD card. This is inherited from the NAND die size.
If both have the same read/write speed (in 4k, and sequential), I will still go with the SD card because of reliability.
The connection between the microSD and adapter = 1 more point of failure, oxidisation, loss of energy resulting also in more heat.
There is a loss of power.
Do you have any links or measurements for that?
If your travel adapter causes power loss then it's time to throw it, there's a good chance of it causing a fire due to some faulty connections.