People who are into food photography!

Status
Not open for further replies.

drOick

Nov 16, 2006
Rivervale Link
www.snaphat.blogspot.com
Hey guys,

My girlfriend is into food photography but am not sure on the implications of snapping in restaurants. Any experience?

Do you guys

1) Pull out your DSLR and snap in Restaurants? any implication?
2) Ta Pao the food and snap at home?
3) Snap hawker center's food ? (less chance of getting chased away)

I'm not too sure of the procedures but I don't think restaurants would agree to photography. What say you?

Hey guys,

My girlfriend is into food photography but am not sure on the implications of snapping in restaurants. Any experience?

Do you guys

1) Pull out your DSLR and snap in Restaurants? any implication?
2) Ta Pao the food and snap at home?
3) Snap hawker center's food ? (less chance of getting chased away)

I'm not too sure of the procedures but I don't think restaurants would agree to photography. What say you?

I believe most of them are quite alright with it actually.
Be quick. Be discreet.
Thats what I do anyways.
If the manager tells you that photography is not allowed,
Apologise and then keep the camera.

I just take out my camera and shoot.. if they ask, then I'll just say i like the food and hope to put it on food blogs so more people will know and come and enjoy their food too. If they still insist, then i'll just enjoy the food (if they are really nice)

just try and shoot on the spot..if stopped, keep camera and eat, but do not allow them to force you to delete photos

food that u 打包 home will not look nice.

from personal experience, 100% cooked food do not look very appealing on film. food that is 60-70% cooked looks much nicer when shot.

food you see on photos is not necessarily similar to what you are served.

Many places are against photography in their establishments for various reasons ranging from wanting to avoid disturbing the ambience or other patrons to 'protecting' their plating techniques (which were probably copied from somewhere else anyway or are even afraid of their decor being photographed. But in all fairness, there's just so much you can do on a plate, so similar patterns will turn up at different restaurants over time.).

There were discussions about CS members being asked to stop to getting haressed by restaurant management.

Please draw your own conclusion.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=342899&highlight=Photography+in+restaurants

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307073&highlight=Photography+in+restaurants

As othres have mentioned, many times, food that is served for consumption is not suitable for photography with the exception being the platings of highly-skilled chefs who place the utmost emphasis on presentation (think of fine-dining Japanese and the like). Also, the exsting light in most eating establishments is a killer.

How serious if your GF in food photography?

just argue lor.. but most places should be okay 1.. just don't anyhow shoot their customers.. and as long as you got purchase.

why don't you just ask the floor manager nicely? and explain that you'll only shoot the food that you've ordered for your own table.

Last edited:
I've NEVER had any problem taking food photos in restaurants in Singapore and elsewhere.

If the place is more formal or you feel uncomfortable, you can just ask the management.

Most restaurants worth their salt will be happy for you to take photos. After all it is a compliment that people want to take pictures of their food. Plus food blogging has become a huge phenomena that can make or break a restaurant.

YMMV.

The above only applies to

1. paying patrons
2. no flash
3. taking photos only at your own table only and
4. no annoying of other tables whether intentional or otherwise.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.