People say that 50mm is one of the...

For street photography, it's about being invisible. You need to move and shoot fast without disrupting the scene.
With a prime (and practice) you can pre-compose in your head without "zoom lag".

I prefer 35mm over 50 - 50 is still too tight for me.

Sorry but I gotta ask this to confirm..you prefer the 35mm on FF or cropped..so I have an idea about what you shared...

Taking streets with a prime will force you to think and compose faster, because if not you'll look like the paparazzi, or just pretend to be a random tourist. The generally larger apertures also help if you like to take photos under low light conditions, since flash is generally out of the question.

In order to make a decision you would definitely have to try out a prime, and see how that feels. Whichever is more comfortable will ultimately make your experience more enjoyable. You can of course force yourself to try the other alternative, and treat it as a challenge. You probably won't end up with so many keepers (or maybe even more?), but it'll be a good learning experience. Eventually settle for something that you are comfortable with, not what others are comfortable with.

most important primes to get 1. 35mm 2. 50mm 3. 28mm. All these gives natural perspective, very little distortion. Just imagine 50mm is one eye, 35mm is two eyes, 28mm is two eyes moving from left to right

idi0tekue said:
most important primes to get 1. 35mm 2. 50mm 3. 28mm. All these gives natural perspective, very little distortion. Just imagine 50mm is one eye, 35mm is two eyes, 28mm is two eyes moving from left to right

If you are using a cropped sensor, that would approximately be 23mm, 33mm, and 18.5mm, respectively. Your friendly neighborhood 18-55mm kit covers this nicely.

Bro, if you want to improve your skill and the way you see things in photography, get yourself a prime lens. Zoom lenses will only make you lazy to compose a shot.

Interesting definition. There are also "close to human eye view angle", Standard Lenses | Photography Mad, and diagonal of a 35mm film/sensor, Definition for standard lens - Oxford Dictionaries Online (US English). Make a good conversational piece in the bar when the alcohol sank in.

Life is too short to fuss over this. Just shoot and enjoy.

Thanks for the replies guys..I think I'll head out and rent a 28mm to try out one of these days..hopefully I can learn something from using Primes like some say they do..

Thanks again!

if ur doing photography as a hobby and for fun, use 50mm to improve your skill and the way you see.

If u need to produce shots for sale or client or moment, get 17-50mm.

i use both

Bro, if you want to improve your skill and the way you see things in photography, get yourself a prime lens. Zoom lenses will only make you lazy to compose a shot.

u might as well suggest that beginners start by shooting film... :what: nothing forces u to think and compose properly than having to pay for every single frame of exposed film, and not having the chance to instantly review each shot after u took it.

the right tool for the right job imo... there are times when a zoom works better (e.g. events, when u need to vary focal length quickly to capture the shot), and there are times when a prime works better (e.g. low light - larger max aperture, macro for 1:1 magnification without add-ons).

insisting that 1 tool is superior to all others in every situation is just making one's life more difficult than it has to be...

Using prime lens can be a frustrating or exhilarating, restrictive or liberating experience. But I feel it will definitely benefit any photographers in that one will learn to understand, appreciate & maximise the use of whatever lens one has, be they primes &/or zooms. Which to use finally depends on the situation & objectives in mind. Lens are tools & there is no need to restrict oneself to any particular one although we have our personal favourites, & are restricted in their ownership or access for $ reasons. The 50mm on FF or 35mm on DX is indeed a good start.

Last edited:
A 'standard' lens is a Pentax 43mm 'limited' so you should not be using a 50mm :D
What is a 'standard' lens?: dpreview.com Editorial blog: Digital Photography Review

50mm was a natural sweet spot in lens design (speed; optics; size; maybe cost) which also had a rather natural perspective (perspective and not focal length), so manufacturers used that as the 'standard prime'.
There were lots of variances within that focal length as the 'standard lens' over the years by each manufacturer. (eg. 55; 50; 58; 45mm)

So, I suggest you just ignore the idea of any standard and use the focal length that pleases you.

A 'standard' lens is a Pentax 43mm 'limited' so you should not be using a 50mm :D
What is a 'standard' lens?: dpreview.com Editorial blog: Digital Photography Review

50mm was a natural sweet spot in lens design (speed; optics; size; maybe cost) which also had a rather natural perspective (perspective and not focal length), so manufacturers used that as the 'standard prime'.
There were lots of variances within that focal length as the 'standard lens' over the years by each manufacturer. (eg. 55; 50; 58; 45mm)

So, I suggest you just ignore the idea of any standard and use the focal length that pleases you.

Why is the 50mm not only cheap and easy to manufacture, but is also a human eye focal length on full frame?

Law of Nature?

Why is the 50mm not only cheap and easy to manufacture, but is also a human eye focal length on full frame?

Law of Nature?

just sheer coincidence. dun think so much about it.

law of physics maybe.

Law of Nature?

Maybe that is the way the universe is ;)

It might not even be really the cheapest to make.
Its what they wanted to set as standard lens so the manufacturers 'let it be' cheap.

Sorry but I gotta ask this to confirm..you prefer the 35mm on FF or cropped..so I have an idea about what you shared...

I am using a cropper, so 22mm to get 35mm on FF-equivalent.
Recently acquired a 28mm 1.8 (45mm), still trying to get used to it.

The 50mm is a versatile lens. I often use it for studio shoots and being standard you get what you see albeit
the framing where I chose the distance between subject and camera to get the shots I want. Just share an example .

Evelyn IMG_2218 by Leon Liew (Zeisser2008), on Flickr

Evelyn IMG_2219 by Leon Liew (Zeisser2008), on Flickr