People photography - tips and sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

plastic

Deregistered
Aug 19, 2004
In A Suitcase
Hi all,

I have always been intrigued by people, and in my work (not photography), I get a lot of opportunities to travel.

To discuss - Its easy to "steal" a shot of people with real expressions with telephoto lenses, but what about moving up to subjects closer? (Without getting k-ed by anyone of course, since they are strangers afterall).

What are things you have done in the past? Human beings on the streets makes a wonderful subject to shoot, like the old homeless man shifting through garbage on the streets of Hong Kong to a cobbler in China, these are great subjects. Move them into a studio/controlled lighting environment and everything is lost.

Any tips that you can share?

sorry dude....you should have posted in the GENERAL DISCUSSIONS sub-forums....we share most of our views there. This sub-forum is for sharing of images :)

Mods, pls move this.

yyD70S said:

relax..this was moved from the galleries sub-forum ...I hope this clears up the confusion :bsmilie:

Now, to answer the queries ..... I use long lenses to capture the natural moments of people ...hate posed shots....=b

If you ever wanna get close, pretend to be a tourist and you will be 'forgiven' :p Subjects are usually 'flattered' as they must be 'something' to deserve a take. Avoid grumpy subjects... they may just hate you enough to rip your camera off your hands :sweat:

If subjects are friendly, start a conversation and the 'moments' will come naturally when you ask if they like to be shot

I tend to take tons of pics when I am travelling - BCOS I AM A TOURIST. I always insist my subjects take a pic with me :lovegrin:

I hope these clarify.

AhV said:
relax..this was moved from the galleries sub-forum ...I hope this clears up the confusion :bsmilie:
QUOTE]

Thanks for clarifying. For a moment, I thought I'll be the next cast member for the new series of LOST :bsmilie:

Pretend to be tourist is a good idea. And for me usually I use my favourite line, "Please, it's for school project." =p Usually people are willing to help hardworking student =p

AngelZhou said:
Pretend to be tourist is a good idea. And for me usually I use my favourite line, "Please, it's for school project." =p Usually people are willing to help hardworking student =p

I'm looking at your avatar picture while reading your sentence "Please, it's for school project.".

IT MATCHES! haha

Lmodel said:
I'm looking at your avatar picture while reading your sentence "Please, it's for school project.".

IT MATCHES! haha

EXACTLY.

make good use of your age and acting skill. innocent look always work =p ( or blur look? stupid look? quay look? whatever =p )

AngelZhou said:
EXACTLY.

make good use of your age and acting skill. innocent look always work =p ( or blur look? stupid look? quay look? whatever =p )

Soon people like us would be too old for the 'act cute, act blur', 'school project' excuse.. :cry:

By then have to think of some more excuses. :bsmilie:

"I am doing a final year university project, would be most grateful that you'll help me. I would send the pictures back to you"

plastic said:
Hi all,

I have always been intrigued by people, and in my work (not photography), I get a lot of opportunities to travel.

To discuss - Its easy to "steal" a shot of people with real expressions with telephoto lenses, but what about moving up to subjects closer? (Without getting k-ed by anyone of course, since they are strangers afterall).

What are things you have done in the past? Human beings on the streets makes a wonderful subject to shoot, like the old homeless man shifting through garbage on the streets of Hong Kong to a cobbler in China, these are great subjects. Move them into a studio/controlled lighting environment and everything is lost.

Any tips that you can share?
Use a long lens and shoot from far. You get reduced DOF which can further accentuate your subject from the surroundings. :)

I love doing portraits and model shoots....have done a few so far and i enjoyed all of them :)

Snoweagle said:
I love doing portraits and model shoots....have done a few so far and i enjoyed all of them :)
For me I prefer spontaneous candid shots. That's why a fast camera with minimum shutter lag is important to me. :)

lsisaxon said:
For me I prefer spontaneous candid shots. That's why a fast camera with minimum shutter lag is important to me. :)

Yes i agree...for me i can take my time to shoot cos the subject is stationary hehe...

I just walk up to them and ask for permission to shoot. It always work and smoe may ask, what is my shots for cos my gears look cheapskate. Have to be thick skined or you will lost a goot subject to shoot. Most people will allow and will pose for you to shoot.

p/s I'm neither good looking nor carrying any L lenses.

:bsmilie:
DeSwitch said:
I just walk up to them and ask for permission to shoot. It always work and smoe may ask, what is my shots for cos my gears look cheapskate. Have to be thick skined or you will lost a goot subject to shoot. Most people will allow and will pose for you to shoot.

p/s I'm neither good looking nor carrying any L lenses.

Especially Caucasians, will allow u to take them.

Last time when i did my model shoots i was even more cheapskate...i wasn't even using an SLR! :bsmilie:

Im also very very interested in taking everyday shots of ordinary ppl. A way of documenting their everyday life, but somehow, there are always ppl who dont like to be filmed. I got 2 warning last time when i was taking pictures in Little India, really made my day man...

for this, im also thinking of getting a 70-200 for outdoor shooting, but bring out such a huge canon also attract attention...

I find it best to take pictures oversea with the "im tourist" written all over my face, lol.

Ramius75 said:
Im also very very interested in taking everyday shots of ordinary ppl. A way of documenting their everyday life, but somehow, there are always ppl who dont like to be filmed. I got 2 warning last time when i was taking pictures in Little India, really made my day man...

for this, im also thinking of getting a 70-200 for outdoor shooting, but bring out such a huge canon also attract attention...

I find it best to take pictures oversea with the "im tourist" written all over my face, lol.

I think using what cameras also depends on different places. Some places not so safe to bring out your SLR.

Snoweagle said:
I think using what cameras also depends on different places. Some places not so safe to bring out your SLR.

ok lah, sometime, there are certain risks to take for a good pictures... but i do notice that sometime, ppl react differently to DSLR/compact. some singaporean stares at u when u took out a large camera out... while some P&S can accomplish the task with long zoom and handheld using the LCD to aim.

Ramius75 said:
ok lah, sometime, there are certain risks to take for a good pictures... but i do notice that sometime, ppl react differently to DSLR/compact. some singaporean stares at u when u took out a large camera out... while some P&S can accomplish the task with long zoom and handheld using the LCD to aim.

Whether i use my SLR or PnS depends on the situation. My SLR is used only when i'm doing event shoots or for special occassions or if i want a very gd pic of somethings. Other than that, my PnS is used for casual shoots.

Status
Not open for further replies.