People in Professional Architecture Photos

chris o

Feb 6, 2014
Singapore, Singapore
Hi all!

I shoot a variety of architectural photography for a living. I am shooting a facility which has "customers" and staff.

The client has asked me to shoot the facilities with "customers" and staff in the shots. These are not public places.

Does anyone have a link or information about the legality of using people commercial photos in Singapore?

The shots are ONLY for website usage. I can blur faces, but it looks terrible...

Would appreciate any info!

Thanks!

Its not legal for use of people's pictures unless (1) It is editorial, i.e Press, Magazine and its taken in a public place/ event. (2) in a public/ private place but they have consented through the use of a Model Release form.

People who know their rights can request through legal methods for their pictures to be removed. That can be more costly?

you need to get their consents, as this pertaining PDPA and is take place at a private venue, to know more on this, please contact PDPC directly, this is the best advise can give you, even a lawyer will tell you the same thing.

btw, if you are hired to take such photos, it is your client's responsibility to take care of this.

Hmm... Your client can either hire models or rope in more staff to be the 'customers'. Or if you want actual customers, ask your clients to think of what kind of compensation (e.g. freebies, vouchers, cash?) they can offer the customers in return, assuming the customers are willing. End of the day as long as all identifiable people sign /consent release. Okay liao.

Yea, Catchlights is correct, please refer to PDPC:

ADVISORY GUIDELINES ON THE PDPA FOR SELECTED TOPICS: Photography
https://www.pdpc.gov.sg/docs/defaul...ted-topics/photography-(chapter-9)-110914.pdf

Last edited:
If you want to stand by its the client's repressibility make sure this is clear stated in all communications down to purchase order or contract or its your knees that are going to be hit first.

Good point ellery,

It's already in my service agreement that it falls upon the client to get consent from anyone who appears in the images. Their members of staff are always with me during the shoot.

I was just wondering about Singapore law :)

Last edited:
Good point ellery,

It's already in my service agreement that it falls upon the client to get consent from anyone who appears in the images. Their members of staff are always with me during the shoot.

I was just wondering about Singapore law :)

Also have clauses in your agreement that releases you from alll liability arising from the use of this photo.

Also have clauses in your agreement that releases you from alll liability arising from the use of this photo.

Cheers,

That's one I am just adding into my new agreement.

Agreements... If only I could get everyone to agree to paying me on time!

Cheers,

That's one I am just adding into my new agreement.

Agreements... If only I could get everyone to agree to paying me on time!

Well, you can write that into the agreement too...

I tend not to give terms. and will only release final works on full payment. Of course i will let my clients know that from day 1.

This is a good article on the topic...I have a copy of the issue it originally came in and after reading this thread I went and found it online for you all. Good strategy and good tactics and some common sense courtesy and everything should go like breathing air. Business is business. Be fair and honest.

http://www.shutterbug.com/content/model-releases-fact-fiction-and-some-case-studies

Chris O - should be about same as the US. If you use a person's likeness in an image that is used for a commercial purpose and that person has not granted you his consent via a model release (and you did not enumerate him) he can deny use of his likens Requiring the surrender of all printed copies (with electronic media this is now complicated) or compensate for illegal usage. See a good lawyer (aka with experience and wins regularly ) on contracts and images.