Pentax's lens release button

Status
Not open for further replies.

scorpioh

Jul 17, 2007
Woodlands
I realised almost all other brands have their lens release buttons on the left than on the right of the lens mount which makes it very awkward, at least for me, to change lenses with a good grip on the body. On Pentax body, I could just press the lens release button with my middle finger yet maintain a strong hold on the grip and then mount/dismount lens with my left hand. Isn't Pentax wonderful to have thought of this or am I missing something?

I think its just a matter of getting use to it... i started with Nikon and i was use to the way of changing lenses, then i got pentax and then i find it awkward changing lenses, then after a while then i find Nikon awkward... in the end im quite use to it both ways...

with pentax i hold the camera with the right hand, with Nikon the cam is hang on the neck and change from there... both ways about the same speed...

It is useful to release the catch with your right hand and swap the lens in with your left hand. The play button is also thoughtfully located at the correct side although the K200D position was more natural compared to the K7 because in the case of the K7, I had to stretched my thumb up across the body to reach it.

Like flowerpot has said, it all boils down to getting used to the layout of the camera controls.
If anything, older Pentax cameras had the lens release button placed opposite the lens index button on the lenses, which actually made it even easier to line up the lens to the camera body.

Think about the way we hold our cameras, I do think our Pentax lens release button is at the RIGHT place ;) I can hold the camera without changing hands, and use my right middle finger to press the lens release button, while using my left hand to take off the lens and put on another one. My right hand can stay on the camera grip all this time, which isn't possible if I'm using a Canon or Nikon :)

But of curse this won't be an issue to any other brand camera if you've got used to the way the camera works.

I believe Pentax designed it for right-hand users in mind, just like the computer mouse. So right hand users benefit from it.
A left hand person may find it ackward at first, but after getting used to it, there is no major issue. Just right hand & left hand drive vehicles.
Nowadays, some computer mouse are designed for both right & left hand users. :)

Last edited:
Think about the way we hold our cameras, I do think our Pentax lens release button is at the RIGHT place ;) I can hold the camera without changing hands, and use my right middle finger to press the lens release button, while using my left hand to take off the lens and put on another one. My right hand can stay on the camera grip all this time, which isn't possible if I'm using a Canon or Nikon :)

But of curse this won't be an issue to any other brand camera if you've got used to the way the camera works.
Fengwei, I am having the exact opinion as yours.

Last edited:
I believe Pentax designed it for right-hand users in mind, just like the computer mouse. So right right hand user benefit from it.
A left hand person may find it ackward at first, but after getting used to it, there is no major issue. Just right hand & left hand drive vehicles.
I think the release button should be on the side of the mount nearer to the grip. I think most if not all cameras are designed for right-hander which is why the grip is on the right. Just don't know why some place the release button on the left. Ha. Anyway, it's a moot point for Pentaxians cos it has been correct from the start.

I believe Pentax designed it for right-hand users in mind, just like the computer mouse. So right right hand user benefit from it.

ben is correct. I am a left hander and i got used to the way you change lenses. Just like I got use to using the mouse with my right hand.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.