Pentaxians that like to shoot portraits - Human or Animals

xxrenxx

Aug 4, 2010
Eunos
Hi guys

I'm currently having only the 1855 kit lens and wish to get 1 lens soon

I'm having trouble deciding between the Prime FA50mm and the Fast zoom Tamron 28-75

Which of these 2 lenses will the majority chose?
I have tried both lens and it is really hard to decide:confused:

Photos produce from the FA50 is really nice and subject blends well with backdrop
Tammy provide different focal length and photo is sharp too..

Planning to get a 2nd hand set from the B&S section.

Last edited:
Hi guys

I'm having trouble deciding between the Prime FA50mm and the Fast zoom Tamron 28-75

Photos produce from the FA50 is really nice and subject blends well with backdrop

buy both? :bsmilie::bsmilie:

if u ask me, i would go for the prime if you are into portraits.

buy both? :bsmilie::bsmilie:

if u ask me, i would go for the prime if you are into portraits.

No $$:bsmilie:

Possible to state the reason why?
Opinions will help too;)

Hi guys

Planning to get a 2nd hand set from the B&S section.

I got the FA50mm and Tamron 17-50mm

If portraits alone , I will chose FA50.

If genernal usage , I think 28-75 is better . But 17-50 is even better then 28-75mm in term of focal length.

I got the FA50mm and Tamron 17-50mm

If portraits alone , I will chose FA50.

If genernal usage , I think 28-75 is better . But 17-50 is even better then 28-75mm in term of focal length.

Yes, i have consider the 17-50 also but then budget wise i had to give up on it. and also I'm not planning to sell off my wonderful 1855 so i can still use it for the wide angle.

What if the situation is like the recent AFA X where there is so many people crowding around 1 cosplayer. Taking that kind of over crowding situation, FA50 and Tammy 28-75, which of these 2 lens will have a better advantage?

I just sold off my FA50mm and got myself a Tammy 28-75mm F2.8. The reason for this is the longer reach for potraits as well as the 28mm wide angle for group photo. I find that the FA50mm is too restrictive but I have to admit that IQ is definitely a notch up for the FA50mm.

its entirely up to you... u can use whatever lens as long as it works for you...

however having said that, you are shooting portraits or events... for portraits use a lens that is good for portraits, for events use a lens that good for events...

some like primes some like zoom, there is no fixed rule or prime lens cannot do events and vice visa... just how ppl like to shoot... i only got a UWA zoom lens, the rest are all primes... thats how i shoot and i never found it to be a handicapped in anyway...

Yes, i have consider the 17-50 also but then budget wise i had to give up on it. and also I'm not planning to sell off my wonderful 1855 so i can still use it for the wide angle.

What if the situation is like the recent AFA X where there is so many people crowding around 1 cosplayer. Taking that kind of over crowding situation, FA50 and Tammy 28-75, which of these 2 lens will have a better advantage?

there is no such thing as the "perfect" lens and the beauty of a DSLR is that it allows u to change lens to suit the situation.

with many pple crowding ard 1 cos-player, i think the only thing that can give u an advantage is not any lens but physical size and sharp elbows :bsmilie:

DA35mm f2.4! cheap and light.
tamron 17-50 is awesome. not really that expensive since there's no need for VC.

I got 4 lenses that can do portraits for different purpose

FA50 - if the lighting condition is not very good . And I only want to shoot my son, Jaden, alone
DA35 - If I want to shoot Jaden and my wife
Tamron 17-50 -If we are going out ... and I might need wide angle and I only want to bring 1 lens out.
DFA100mm - If I want to shoot Jaden head shot without he knowing .

Last edited:
For me, my best fren is Tamron 28-75mm.

U can check my flicker. Most of the Bangladeshi picture I took is Tamron 28-75 haha

Thanks all for the input:)

Tot of the DA35 also but when using my 1855, i often use 55mm for the shots, so i'm afraid that 35mm might not be enough for me.

What about the weight factor? Does it affect anyone?
After using the Tammy 28-75 and get back to the 1855 kit, its like holding a thin sheet of paper:p

Mayb i should roll dice and let them make the decision for me:bsmilie:

mind to share why? :)

actually i'm basing this on the old price of $350 and my perspective of shooting cats. right now it's $500, so i'm not sure if my reasons would still apply.

how much is the 28-75 anyways?

to me, 50mm 75mm, not much difference.

understand that 28-75 would probably be quite heavy and bulky as well. i want a variety of ranges which are commonly used, so i like light lenses (relatively). which explains why i usually just carry the 10-20, 70-300 and 50 when overseas.

for the wider end of 28-75, i don't think it'd be useful for shooting cats. i can be quite anal when it comes to distorting features of cats. or people, for that matter.

can't always place cats in the sun as well, so it's always nice to have a faster aperture.

so this is from a very, very skewed perspective, you might want to take this into consideration.

the main reason that might apply to most people though, is that it is heavy.

actually i'm basing this on the old price of $350 and my perspective of shooting cats. right now it's $500, so i'm not sure if my reasons would still apply.

how much is the 28-75 anyways?

to me, 50mm 75mm, not much difference.

understand that 28-75 would probably be quite heavy and bulky as well. i want a variety of ranges which are commonly used, so i like light lenses (relatively). which explains why i usually just carry the 10-20, 70-300 and 50 when overseas.

for the wider end of 28-75, i don't think it'd be useful for shooting cats. i can be quite anal when it comes to distorting features of cats. or people, for that matter.

can't always place cats in the sun as well, so it's always nice to have a faster aperture.

so this is from a very, very skewed perspective, you might want to take this into consideration.

the main reason that might apply to most people though, is that it is heavy.

The FA50 is around 75mm in k-x right? read it at emjay website that the focal length is equivalent to 75mm in the 35mm format.
Yes, tammy 28-75mm f2.8 is certainly heavy.
Price for both of the lens at B&S is @ $450

Last edited:
I don't know anything about the 28-75mm but i find the FA50 is excellent for taking head plus shoulder portrait. The bokeh is nice and when using it wide open the slight softness did the pp for you already, i only tweak the colours to my preference when i go through my photos taken by FA50. Efficient. It works for me. :thumbsup: