Pentax where to buy ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

henghwlee

Mar 6, 2009
Dear all ,

where can get pentax dslr in lowest price ?
hope to get a K200 for entry level ... is it suitable ?
what shud i care more when i purchase ?

thanks

Last edited:
you can try the usual places.

tk foto, cathay photo, alan photo, orient photo, ms colour, john 3:16

just call them up - there are numbers listed somewhere here; ask for the price, confirm if gst is included, and then ASK FOR THE STAFF'S NAME.

also make sure you are clear on whether you want body only, or with kit lens.

You can try Orient Photo at SLS, 6th floor. Or Cathay Photo, MS Color.

K200D is a great camera, more than enough for a new dSLR user :) It's weather sealed, got in-body shake reduction, great image quality. I'm sure you'd love it.

The camera is pretty reliable, you can try to look for a second hand one too if you wanna save a little bit ;)

Good luck.

You can try Orient Photo at SLS, 6th floor. Or Cathay Photo, MS Color.

K200D is a great camera, more than enough for a new dSLR user :) It's weather sealed, got in-body shake reduction, great image quality. I'm sure you'd love it.

The camera is pretty reliable, you can try to look for a second hand one too if you wanna save a little bit ;)

Good luck.

if only K200D got AF adjust, i would have down grade from K20D... :sticktong

wat the different with af adjust and no af adjust ?
How about K10D is that valuable to buy now ?
by the way...is that pentax lens hard to get ? and the price compare to others brand is it exp ?

Last edited:
by the way...is that pentax lens hard to get ? and the price compare to others brand is it exp ?

If got AF adjustment (like K20D, or those high end Canon and Nikon cameras which are much more expensive btw), you can adjust the focusing for each lens if the focusing is off. But K200D has pretty good AF accuracy as far as I know. Maybe you don't need that at all ;)

K10D is a good camera, second hand only cost around $500 nowadays, great buy if you ask me. But if you want something new, it'd be hard to find, and probably more expensive.

Pentax got enough DA (digital) lenses for you to play, and their prices are relatively cheap. When you buy the camera, you can consider buying the kit lens, plus a 50-200 mm lens, these would be good enough for a good start. Later on you can add a faster prime lens like a 50/1.7 or 50/1.4. That's all you need, won't cost much total.

So you can adjust your lens if it has back/front focusing issues on your own, instead of sending it to the service center.

Actually, all of the models are a valuable buy, especially on the 2nd hand market.

Yes, when compared to the big 2. Most lenses can be found/ordered at Orient Photo though. But it gets much harder to source for older manual lenses locally. (I want a credit card) :cry:

Pentax is know for having the best bang for buck lenses. That's why I'm here. :bsmilie:

Getting a second hand K10D probably gives you the best value for money out of any DSLR out there at the moment. It's about $600 for a set with kit lens on the BnS forum if you are patient enough there's about one WTS every one or two weeks for the K10D. If you want to buy first hand it's probably out of stock in most places, but I got a quote from Parisilk HV of $880 for K10D + kit lens over a month ago.

Pentax lens are not as well stocked as N and C lenses, obviously. However if you are willing to look up ebay or perhaps the pentaxforum.com WTS forum, Pentax gives you the widest range of lens available because lenses from all the way back until the late 1970s can be used. Pentax lenses are usually cheaper than the equivalent. The Pentax FA 50mm f/1.4 for example is cheaper than all the other 50mm f/1.4s and is amongst the best performer. Also, unlike C and N lenses, you don't have to pay the extra $100-$200 **per lens** for VR or IS, since Pentax uses shake reduction in the body.

Again, the best way to get lenses is probably the BnS forum, and/or call up the shops to check for price and availability.

Last edited:
to answer your questions.

cheapest is buy from overseas like US or Korea for hundreds in savings however it appears local distro doesnt support. http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=358867 but so far i am quite impressed with the workmanship and weather resistance of my K20D that i dont think i will ever need to visit the service center.

before you purchase, see if the system fits your needs. Are you more into macro and wide angle as Pentax doesnt really have a selection of f/2.8 telephoto zooms other then the DA* or other manufacturer made.

There is a learning curve to using a Pentax system but once you know what works and what doesnt, most of the time the pictures out of the camera are good enough to use.

The built in shake reduction isnt as great as advertised but it works somewhat since at more then 200mm handheld i recommend multiple frames or use tripod. Saves from spending more for lens stabilization.

What i recommend is attend one of the Pentax outings to see what the cameras can do.

Last edited:
K200d is definitely enough to satisfy you for entry level.
Speaking from personal experience ;p

As for pentax lens being "hard to find", that is a very subjective thing. Some people feel that if they cannot acquire their lens/body from a major camera store = hard to find.

My definition of hard to find is something that i can barely source for even in ebay :sweat: I'm into rangefinders and some old mediumformat, so i've learnt to stop relying on camera shops anymore. The premium here is too much for a student to afford. Only modern amera equipment is cheap in singapore :bsmilie: I only buy film here now. My opinion is that Pentax is fairly obtainable through sources like OP and CP. OP with the widest selection so far.

thanks for so many opinion and suggestion.... will think deeply to get which model ... thanks

For sure both Fengwei & I like to sell our 28-200mm. ;p
It's your preference if you prefer only Pentax or Sigma (for Pentax mount).:bigeyes:

to answer your questions.

cheapest is buy from overseas like US or Korea for hundreds in savings however it appears local distro doesnt support. http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=358867 but so far i am quite impressed with the workmanship and weather resistance of my K20D that i dont think i will ever need to visit the service center.

What you have stated with regards to International Warranty here and in another post is incorrect.

If you buy from the US for example (whether online or from a store), you will receive a local (US only) warranty. To obtain an International Warranty Card, you need to apply for it from Pentax USA by furnishing proof of purchase. On approval, Pentax USA will send the International Warranty Card directly to you. That will enable you to have warranty service not just in Singapore but everywhere there is a Pentax authorised service center within the warranty period. Obviously if you bought from an online retailer and they sent the item directly to you, you will still need to lodge an application for warranty with the Pentax agent of that country.

before you purchase, see if the system fits your needs. Are you more into macro and wide angle as Pentax doesnt really have a selection of f/2.8 telephoto zooms other then the DA* or other manufacturer made.

Most people using a DSLR for the first time cannot answer the question of what their specific needs are. Best to start off and be familiar with the kit lens before embarking on future lens purchases. One should determine the need first before making a buying decision. I don't see the point you're making about f.2.8 telezooms. There are enough lenses out there, the point is whether one has enough money to buy them and whether we know how to get the most from the equipment.

There is a learning curve to using a Pentax system but once you know what works and what doesnt, most of the time the pictures out of the camera are good enough to use.

The built in shake reduction isnt as great as advertised but it works somewhat since at more then 200mm handheld i recommend multiple frames or use tripod. Saves from spending more for lens stabilization.

There is a learning curve for all cameras. It all boils down to getting familiar with it to know the ins and outs. "Shake reduction isn't as great as advertised"??? Really? What's your handholding technique? :think:

Ben, don't forget I want to sell mine too, but unfortunately I got to contend with low ballers... sigh

What you have stated with regards to International Warranty here and in another post is incorrect.

If you buy from the US for example (whether online or from a store), you will receive a local (US only) warranty. To obtain an International Warranty Card, you need to apply for it from Pentax USA by furnishing proof of purchase. On approval, Pentax USA will send the International Warranty Card directly to you. That will enable you to have warranty service not just in Singapore but everywhere there is a Pentax authorised service center within the warranty period. Obviously if you bought from an online retailer and they sent the item directly to you, you will still need to lodge an application for warranty with the Pentax agent of that country.

Most people using a DSLR for the first time cannot answer the question of what their specific needs are. Best to start off and be familiar with the kit lens before embarking on future lens purchases. One should determine the need first before making a buying decision. I don't see the point you're making about f.2.8 telezooms. There are enough lenses out there, the point is whether one has enough money to buy them and whether we know how to get the most from the equipment.

There is a learning curve for all cameras. It all boils down to getting familiar with it to know the ins and outs. "Shake reduction isn't as great as advertised"??? Really? What's your handholding technique? :think:
With regards to the International Warranty by email to the local distro,

Technician
Consumer Electronics Service Division
11 Chang Charn Road #06-01
Shriro House Singapore 159640
Tel: 6508 8140
Fax: 6472 4350

Dear Sir,

.. We will honor the International Warranty if you bought your K20D in the United States with the International Warranty Card provided. And we will not honor the International Warranty if you bought your K20D from the United States wedsite, although you've got the International Warranty Card .. Thank you.

Just give him a call loh. Basically the translation is if buy the camera online like US and ship to singapore not supported even if applied for and have the international warranty card but if buy while in the US then the international warranty card got use.

Actually before even buying the camera i would ask the person where is he going with the camera setup and what he likes to do with the camera.,,,in a sense a roadmap. So far if the person like wildlife or birds which ideally needs fast lenses, the most current zoom from pentax with fixed aperture is DA*300mm which is F4 and the cost considered very up there. Other brands already F/2.8 for their mid price zooms already as well as cheaper primes. Better to plan ahead rather then buy but in the end sell at a loss because not the system in mind. US better lah, even one week later still can return for full refund.

shake holding technique is like holding pistol which is fine up to 200mm but at maximum 300mm is pretty shaky unless can find a good support for it. Only solution is up the iso, shutter and hope the exposure settings will do the trick but just in case bracketing is what i normally do. So far what i most do is a variation of this,
image1669.jpg

What do you do for 300mm shots with barely anything to lean on or support the camera on?

Last edited:
shake holding technique is like holding pistol which is fine up to 200mm but at maximum 300mm is pretty shaky unless can find a good support for it. Only solution is up the iso, shutter and hope the exposure settings will do the trick but just in case bracketing is what i normally do. So far what i most do is a variation of this,
image1669.jpg

What do you do for 300mm shots with barely anything to lean on or support the camera on?

This? ;p

No need to copy and paste what you have already posted elsewhere and I think many of us know Kevin well enough. ;)

If you had taken the time to read carefully what bLuRbEnG and palmtastic had written, you would know that the International Warranty Card issued and endorsed by the Pentax agent where the camera was bought is valid here in Singapore. But first you need to register the warranty and apply for the Int Warranty Card. Is that so difficult to understand?

BTW the DA*300mm f/4 is not a zoom but a prime lens. I don't know what you're talking about here:
... "Other brands already F/2.8 for their mid price zooms already as well as cheaper primes." Care to give some examples? Anyway if you think Pentax too expensive, then I wonder if you have any idea how much those VR or IS lenses cost?

Last edited:
No need to copy and paste what you have already posted elsewhere and I think many of us know Kevin well enough. ;)

If you had taken the time to read carefully what bLuRbEnG and palmtastic had written, you would know that the International Warranty Card issued and endorsed by the Pentax agent where the camera was bought is valid here in Singapore. But first you need to register the warranty and apply for the Int Warranty Card. Is that so difficult to understand?

BTW the DA*300mm f/4 is not a zoom but a prime lens. I don't know what you're talking about here:
... "Other brands already F/2.8 for their mid price zooms already as well as cheaper primes." Care to give some examples? Anyway if you think Pentax too expensive, then I wonder if you have any idea how much those VR or IS lenses cost?
Whats so difficult to understand?

followed what the website stated http://www.pentaximaging.com/support/customer-care/
International customers seeking service must contact a PENTAX representative in their own country/region. Click here for a listing

so emailed the local distro which is Shriro. I asked if buy from US website and want to service in Singapore how. Above was the reply given. So still need to apply for international warranty card?

and if checked the contact form, http://pentax.quicksupportlink.com/callform/pages/callform.asp?origin_us=true try finding Singapore. was it inside last year?

Since you guys know Kevin well enough, someone could check with him and finalize the question that if [while buyer in singapore] the Pentax items are bought online from authorised pentax retailers and ship to singapore...can one apply for the international warranty card for free servicing by sg distributor?

as for the lens okay-lah my bad in wording..the DA* 300mm F4 is a prime lens. an example of zoom for around the same money...maybe the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
41MYGPWVN6L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

as for how much VR/VC/OS/IS costs...there isnt any controlling body so the brands more or less are free to charge as much as they want. Thats why i went the Pentax route since it has stabilization with every lens that it is able to mount. The K20D is an interesting camera but i guess the lens roadmap will focus more on Ltd lenses and DA* rather then fast non-DA* f/2.8 zooms, i wonder if its because they are not able to make or simply because no demand for such lenses.

Last edited:
the shake reduction on the pentax works well.

that's all i can say.

Status
Not open for further replies.