Pentax Warranty

Wayne Lee

Nov 1, 2011
Singapore
Hi, does anyone know how long it takes for a warranty return? I dropped my K-01 into Emjay, and they sent it to Pentax Japan on the 23/4. Emjay said 2 weeks, but when I rang up today, there is no news about when will it get sent back.

If they send your camera back to Japan get ready to wait between 4 to 6 weeks. shorter if they have parts on hand and their service technician is not too tie down.

That long? Why would they say 2 weeks then? I was expecting it back for next week as I have a trip and I don't have a spare camera. It's brand new, they should just replace it.

whats wrong with ur k-01?

Not so sure. I think it was a battery problem. Camera was working well initially, and then suddenly stopped working while taking a picture. Thought maybe it was the battery, so recharged it, plugged it back into the camera, everything working until I press the shutter release, then camera shuts down again. Went and bought a third party battery, and camera working fine again. So, it seems battery issue. Then noticed that the shutter lens never came down when changing lens. In off position, the sensor is fully exposed when changing lens, which didn't used to happen. Took it to Emjay, they agreed it is problem so go for return/repair. Just never expected to take so long. If I had Sony or Canon or Nikon, I think I would have at least an answer as to when it will be ready. Now I have nothing.

Just never expected to take so long. If I had Sony or Canon or Nikon, I think I would have at least an answer as to when it will be ready. Now I have nothing.

All service centres can only give estimates.

If the problem at Sony/Canon/Nikon, etc also cannot be fixed locally they would have to ship it off to another place and I would not be surprised if the same time is expected.

I have never needed to repair a Pentax product but certainly 2 weeks is a guideline and I think it's rather illogical to make such sweeping statements unless you know for sure (which I am sure that you don't).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Pentax service centre fanboy. In fact, I've had a very bad experience trying to ask them for a small replacement plastic part and was quite put off by their attitude (we don't have - no further explanation or attempt at assistance was even made) but it would also be great if we also try to see things from their perspective. Cheers.

Last edited:
That long? Why would they say 2 weeks then? I was expecting it back for next week as I have a trip and I don't have a spare camera. It's brand new, they should just replace it.
If you really, really, really have a huge issue with not having it back next week, perhaps you can try calling them to work something out. Cheers.

Last edited:
The frustration comes more from the fact I used to live in Australia, and if I have a problem with anything, especially within a month or so, I could just go back to the retailer and get it exchanged. Doesn't seem possible here - warranty is directed back to the distributor, and the distributor has no say, except to pass it back to the manufacturer. Emjay is doing their job, except they set the expectation wrongly - if they said it would take 4-6 weeks, then I know - in this case, they said 2 weeks - so that is what I expect.

I work for a global electronics manufacturer, and I certainly know the issues with RMA's and support, but, most of our distributors will hold extra stock to support and add value to the sales process, it doesn't seem like Emjay is willing to do this, or Pentax doesn't want them to do it. Either way, it becomes a slow process, and I am sure Pentax would prefer to have cameras in peoples hand, rather than having them wait and start looking for alternatives.

The frustration comes more from the fact I used to live in Australia, and if I have a problem with anything, especially within a month or so, I could just go back to the retailer and get it exchanged. Doesn't seem possible here - warranty is directed back to the distributor, and the distributor has no say, except to pass it back to the manufacturer. Emjay is doing their job, except they set the expectation wrongly - if they said it would take 4-6 weeks, then I know - in this case, they said 2 weeks - so that is what I expect.

I work for a global electronics manufacturer, and I certainly know the issues with RMA's and support, but, most of our distributors will hold extra stock to support and add value to the sales process, it doesn't seem like Emjay is willing to do this, or Pentax doesn't want them to do it. Either way, it becomes a slow process, and I am sure Pentax would prefer to have cameras in peoples hand, rather than having them wait and start looking for alternatives.
I have gotten one-to-one exchange at OP before, but that was because I did it within a week. I may be wrong and the other Pentaxians can correct me if it's accurate - but Emjay used to have an in-house technician, but this is no longer true, so everything has to go back to Japan. :(

Yes, we all want better service levels, but I think it's worth noting that these come with a cost, right? Certainly having more stock ready for replacements (unsold) would increase Emjay's costs.. And these would have to be recovered by hook or by crook - through the local pricing of cameras. I'm sure there's a reason why we can get such competitive prices here in Singapore. :)

I have gotten one-to-one exchange at OP before, but that was because I did it within a week. I may be wrong and the other Pentaxians can correct me if it's accurate - but Emjay used to have an in-house technician, but this is no longer true, so everything has to go back to Japan. :(

i think even with the ex technician..most of the repairs still have to be sent back to Japan...when i send my lens and k-x for calibration previously..they have to be sent back to Japan and I got it back after 3 weeks...

for that time..i call them at the end of the 3rd week (it was a fri) and they told me the cam not back yet and not sure when..but next day (sat)..they called me in the morning to tell me i can collect my cam liao..so maybe you can try your luck and give them a call again

I just went to emjay this morning, wanted them to do a focus calibration for my k-7 n lens. They say they have no equipment locally, and no technician, so have to send it back to Japan n it takes 4 weeks. I was a bit surprised...Even sigma did len calibration on my Canon for just 2 hours.

why not ask for ronald? i remember he the one who start to actively engage local pentax users

Same answer again - still no news and will call back when they hear something.... would be good if I at least knew that Pentax Japan had received the product and were investigating....

i think even with the ex technician..most of the repairs still have to be sent back to Japan...when i send my lens and k-x for calibration previously..they have to be sent back to Japan and I got it back after 3 weeks...

for that time..i call them at the end of the 3rd week (it was a fri) and they told me the cam not back yet and not sure when..but next day (sat)..they called me in the morning to tell me i can collect my cam liao..so maybe you can try your luck and give them a call again
Ah.

That's not good to hear... Sounds like I would have to grab a K-r to shoot if my K-5 was out of commission since 3 weeks is a long time.

Wonder if there's a need to send the camera to Japan if the shutter needs to be replaced. Thankfully I have not had encountered this situation yet, but all I can say is that the attitude displayed in the eyepiece cover incident, as minor as it sounds, left a bad taste in my mouth. Anyways, consumers will eventually react if they find that the service is not to satisfaction and there is inaction despite attempts to give feedback, with the feedback being blatantly ignored. The consumers will try their best to understand the constraints, but we all have our personal limits. That's all I can say. Cheers!

Same answer again - still no news and will call back when they hear something.... would be good if I at least knew that Pentax Japan had received the product and were investigating....

They should be able to communicate with Pentax Japan, I guess?

Ah.

That's not good to hear... Sounds like I would have to grab a K-r to shoot if my K-5 was out of commission since 3 weeks is a long time.

haha..i shoot film during those 3 weeks...anyway for my recent bkk trip..i find myself shooting film more..i only use my k-01 during night time when i need the high iso...but i guess it depend on ur style of shooting..for landscape and seascape...film is harder to judge the exposure to me..

So, in frustration, I decided to call the Pentax Service Centre in Japan. Although they spoke limited english, they were friendly and willing to help. All I needed was the serial number of the camera and they could check it for me. According to their records, they received the camera May 1, they are working on it, and hope to send back the camera later this week, or early next week.Perfect, that's all I needed to know.

My question now is, why did Emjay say they had sent it 23/4? and why could they not have called up Pentax Japan and asked the same questions I did?

Wayne Lee said:
So, in frustration, I decided to call the Pentax Service Centre in Japan. Although they spoke limited english, they were friendly and willing to help. All I needed was the serial number of the camera and they could check it for me. According to their records, they received the camera May 1, they are working on it, and hope to send back the camera later this week, or early next week.Perfect, that's all I needed to know.

My question now is, why did Emjay say they had sent it 23/4? and why could they not have called up Pentax Japan and asked the same questions I did?

Emjay says they sent on the 23/4? And Pentax Japan says they received on 1st May? Of coz la bro.. U think Japan is our coastal neighbor is it? 23/4 till 1st May, quite good already I believe... -_-"...

1 week period from send out until Pentax Japan receive.
1 week period for Pentax Japan to do whatever they need to do.
1 week period from Pentax Japan send out until received by Pentax Emjay.

Total 3 weeks ler~ Ok what...

Last edited:
Emjay says they sent on the 23/4? And Pentax Japan says they received on 1st May? Of coz la bro.. U think Japan is our coastal neighbor is it? 23/4 till 1st May, quite good already I believe... -_-"...

1 week period from send out until Pentax Japan receive.
1 week period for Pentax Japan to do whatever they need to do.
1 week period from Pentax Japan send out until received by Pentax Emjay.

Total 3 weeks ler~ Ok what...
Agree, but it is a fair question as to why Emjay can't contact Pentax Japan if Wayne Lee (a consumer) can, to find out on the status of the repairs.