Pentax UWA option...

Moonlightsg

Jan 28, 2010
Hi,

long time no active liao...
thinking of getting a UWA....SamYang 14m f2.8 ok? or any other choice i have?

For APS-C or for Full frame? hee...

then we can make ur have a burning desire to buy. Lol!

Reactions: Moonlightsg
Welcome back!

Do post more here so that the pool of discussion/photos/info remains relevant for everyone (esp in the local context) :)

Assuming on FF.
Samyang 14/2.8 is obviously the cheapest. A good copy will be a nice lens. Distortion is a lot, but often not a concern in real use.
DFA15-30/2.8 - is probably the best one with auto everything as well as being a zoom
Irix 11/4
Irix 15/2.8 - seems good from what I have seen from the shots by the guys here.
Laowa 12/2.8 - Low distortion, 12mm wide, f2.8 and smaller than the Samyang 14.

Reactions: Moonlightsg
I still have my 5iis... FF of cos good to try, but to me is not a need ...

Thanks for sharing the list.... Looks like quite a number of choice... I will Google those

apsc
Samyang 8mm f3.5 fisheye
Samyang 10mm f2.8 wide angle for apsc dslr

adding
tamron 10-24mm f3.5-4.5
sigma 10-20mm f3.5
pentax 10-17mm f3.5-4.5 fisheye

Another option with the Laowa 12mm.

Another option with the Laowa 12mm.

Nice pict as usual Bernard.

This is a great option.
Build quality is good and the infinity stop is exact, unlike on the Samyang.

Another power lens...nice

Initial checks looks real good for this lens.
Smaller than my Samyang 14mm and its a 12mm.
Nice all metal build.
Infinity stop is exact
Very low distortion for a UWA
Low vignette (which is often not the case for UWA)
"A" mode - good to have when shooting in LV to get the histogram to confirm exposure.

Hope you managed to bring it out for a spin.

No chance yet.

Got so many pics from NZ to run thru for one.
Also need to settle the family stuff first since I only just came back :)

Initial checks looks real good for this lens.
Smaller than my Samyang 14mm and its a 12mm.
Nice all metal build.
Infinity stop is exact
Very low distortion for a UWA
Low vignette (which is often not the case for UWA)
"A" mode - good to have when shooting in LV to get the histogram to confirm exposure.

I think the QC varies, so got to make sure you get a good copy.

- Like JK, I like that it's only slightly larger than our FA 31 Limited.
- I didn't think that it had to be metal, it could've potentially reduce the weight of the lens (esp. when it's this size).
- Distortion control is very good for such an UWA.
- "A" mode pin may not be well-machined, and may scratch your mount when dislodging the lens from the mount. It's like you 1/2 clutch and switch gears on your car, and it's not smooth... Copy to copy variation I think.
- Check the infinity stop. If the focus extends beyond infinity, check that the minimum focus is still at 0.18m or it's more. Again a copy to copy variation.
- Didn't see any hints with centering on my copy, so that's good.

Unfortunately for Pentax K users, the agent in Singapore doesn't bring the K mount in. So you will have to source from either buying overseas or buying from 1 of the Singapore Stores who are willing to bring this in on your behalf. But this also meant that it's more difficult to get support for your lens as they probably only have the only copies they sell.

Sorry to hijack the thread, anyone has experience buying lens from amazon? I see that the dfa15-30 is a lot cheaper online than from brick n mortar store.

Sorry to hijack the thread, anyone has experience buying lens from amazon? I see that the dfa15-30 is a lot cheaper online than from brick n mortar store.

Nope for me, and yes it is cheaper overseas than locally.

I have not bought lens from Amazon, but I have bought many other stuff. The return policy is good. It even compensates return postage if you return an item.
I have bought lens from B&H. Warranty policy is excellent. It pays for shipping (UPS) for returned item. UPS will pick it up from your doorstep. Then B&H will ship your replacement lens using FedEx at no extra cost.

Off topic a little. Could anyone tell me which shop in Singapore is still carrying Pentax stuff? Ever since Funan closed, I have not visited any of them except SLR, and SLR has more or less given up on Pentax.

Thank you guys for the replies.

@sbc, I think tk foto still carries their stuff. I bought my k-1 from them. Iirc orient photo also carries Pentax stuff.