Pentax To Announce the K-3 Full Frame DSLR At Photokina

kaixax555

Feb 6, 2012

There’s been a lot of talk about new full frames making their debut in the next year, Nikon and Canon monopolizing most of the news with their rumored entry-level offerings, but one company that might slip in under the radar is Pentax. Rumors of Pentax’s K-3 full frame have been circulating for some time, but Photo Rumors recently reported on a few updates including possible announcement and release dates.

Previous rumors have the K-3 sporting a 24MP sensor, 29-point SAFOX X/w light wavelength AF sensor, 6fps continuous shooting at highest resolution, 1080p and 720p video recording at 60/30/25 and 24 fps, Dual PRIME M processor and ISO range between 100 and 25,600 (expandable to 50-102,400).

Today we found out that the K-3 will likely be announced at Photokina in September and launch in early 2013 under the tagline: “the world’s most compact full frame.” It’s expected to use Sony’s new 24MP sensor (possibly the same one as the D600), come with a brand new kit lens, battery grip and flash unit, and sell (body only) for around $2,800.

Considering the rumored sensor and the fact that both the Canon and Nikon entry-levels should have significantly lower price tags, we’ll have to wait and see what other features Pentax is planning to bring to the table to lure photographers their way.

Wonder why no one here talked about this :bsmilie:

US$2,800 for body only, not cheap at SGD3,500.
but compact FF body ? I guess it should be also weather shield.

It's a rumor from quite a while ago, and it can't be real since the price tag is there. The leaked photo is basically a K-5 limited edition w/ a mock-up sensor.

But we do hope Pentax can make a FF camera in a more compact body, preferably one like a K-5 :)

fengwei said:
It's a rumor from quite a while ago, and it can't be real since the price tag is there. The leaked photo is basically a K-5 limited edition w/ a mock-up sensor.

But we do hope Pentax can make a FF camera in a more compact body, preferably one like a K-5 :)

I remember PF have this hoax made for april fools day...

Do hope they have some add ons to make DA lenses to be used on a FF body. I think that will really be revolutionary. Hopefully its comes with an articulated screen too. :p

I don't think it is the actual picture. More likely that they had to put something up as a filler.

hope they revive their entire FA and FA* lineup haha

TS got his source from Petapixel.com which got its source from Photorumour.com which credit its source from DCHome via Ricehigh.

it is more likely to be true, as technology improves year after year, the possibility is bigger and bigger.

I got a hint this morning... Hey fengwei! Your da40 limited thread in bns is gone! How does this happen? :)

Pentax probably has to expend considerable resources to rebuild its FA line up?

Hmm... My only wish is that it'll not be a K mount but instead mirrorless with an entirely new mount with short registration distance.

Provide a K mount adapter as "stock" and then sell various mount adapters for various lens brands.. Haha! That'll allow us to use ANY lens mount simply by putting on the suitable adapter for the brand. ;P

Wishful thinking but that will be an entirely 'unique' approach! :p

NazgulKing said:
Pentax probably has to expend considerable resources to rebuild its FA line up?

Hmm... Ricoh will provide the financial backing I hope. And then also, as much as we know we wish for it to be, they wouldn't need to rebuild its FA lineups within a year just for the current generation.. It can slowly be done over 5-10years? Right? ;)

SyncGuy said:
Hmm... Ricoh will provide the financial backing I hope.

What do you mean? It's the same company, just a different sticker. Who else should do that?

Rumor came via RiceHigh the Pentax hater/troublemaker.
He has absolutely no credibility as far as I'm concerned.

I only know that 'Frank' ;) has been the one consistently getting the 'rumors' right and/or getting the actual prototype/sample camera before any pseudo expert on PF or RiceHigh (who basically collects other ppls info and re-spins as his own)

kaixax555 said:

Wonder why no one here talked about this :bsmilie:

pinholecam said:
Rumor came via RiceHigh the Pentax hater/troublemaker.
He has absolutely no credibility as far as I'm concerned.

I only know that 'Frank' ;) has been the one consistently getting the 'rumors' right and/or getting the actual prototype/sample camera before any pseudo expert on PF or RiceHigh (who basically collects other ppls info and re-spins as his own)

Thats why no one has bothered to talk abt it here :bsmilie:

Beyond a certain point, its flogging the same dead horse. If they make a good FF, some of the users here will probably buy it to try.

If not, life goes on... I dun need FF anyway...

detritus said:
Thats why no one has bothered to talk abt it here :bsmilie:

Beyond a certain point, its flogging the same dead horse. If they make a good FF, some of the users here will probably buy it to try.

If not, life goes on... I dun need FF anyway...

That's true actually... Haha! Never need one, just want one.. But heck! I'm gonna get FF in the form of film soon! :D