Pentax Strobist -Session#1 - Pls share your shots and learnings here

pinholecam

Staff member
Jul 23, 2007
I hope everyone who attended found the session useful.
Special thanks for Greg who got us such a wonderful place to do the session and to Martini for the help.

So I am opening this thread to talk about the session, share what was learned and show what was taken.
Also its for discussing any other problems (even new ones when trying out at home).

I will have to check my schedule for the Session #2 (in Sept) where we will explore 2 and more light setups as well as do hands-on for more creative theme shots.

In the meantime, pls keep the picts and discussions coming and do practice to get more familiar with setting up the camera/flash/equipments.

Edit :

HellRider by jenkwang, on Flickr
Sorry for the way I look, did not have time to make up ....
(Thanks to Greg for taking this "nice" pict of me and permission to use it :D)

Last edited:
We had an encouraging turnout for the 1st Session, and special thanks to JK taking the initiative to start this learning session, Martini making a special appearance after his hectic morning photoshoot and also to Greg for arranging a nice venue ( with air-con ) for the occassion. The weather was good which makes it easier for an outdoor session, during the breakout session.

Some of the coverage from Session #1

#01 Jk explaining some basics of strobing and lights .

20140802_141402 by maverick_h, on Flickr

#02 Jk on how to mount the wireless trigger onto the flash
20140802_141452 by maverick_h, on Flickr

#3 Explain the different lighting effects from the use for umbrella and softbox
20140802_142010 by maverick_h, on Flickr

#04 Not only does he volunteer his place for the shoot, Greg came well attired to volunteer himself as our model. That's the Pentaxian spirit ! Well done Greg.

20140802_142115 by maverick_h, on Flickr

#05 Jk shows how the effect of lighting has effects on the picture.
20140802_142328 by maverick_h, on Flickr

Thanks JK for organizing the event. We had a lot of fun. For session 2, we still can use the place if it's available.

For asking about trigger receiver,

I use YN560 III, and RF603-N transceiver (nikon version since they dont make pentax version, canon version won't work on pentax)(YN offical link),

Note, now there is a updated version of that RF603 II (nikon n3 version), which can support Pentax film SLR, like K1000, MX, (link)

Also note, there is a Advanced version of rf603 II that build for YN560III flash for remote power control, YN560-TX (link)

and the YN560III with built-in rf-603 receiver flash, (link)

My session practice photo,

Pentax Strobist Session 1 - Single Light Shot by shining camera, on Flickr

Pentax Strobist Session 1 - Background lighting by shining camera, on Flickr

My Homework practise

Pentax Strobist Homework 1 - butterfly lighting by shining camera, on Flickr

Reactions: pinholecam
How come I cannot copy paste the images in Flickr to here? Is it because I didn't renew my Pro account?

How come I cannot copy paste the images in Flickr to here? Is it because I didn't renew my Pro account?

go to flickr page, right click on image, choose original, and on the new page, right click on image and choose save image as.

go to flickr page, right click on image, choose original, and on the new page, right click on image and choose save image as.
Will download the photos, thanks. but I have difficulty to upload my photos.
I always uploaded my photos to flickr and then post the links to clubsnap. But now I cannot do it. I couldn't find the image with different sizes. Before I found the image and right click to copy the link and posted here. It seems the flickr website was upgraded or something...

Will download the photos, thanks. but I have difficulty to upload my photos.
I always uploaded my photos to flickr and then post the links to clubsnap. But now I cannot do it. I couldn't find the image with different sizes. Before I found the image and right click to copy the link and posted here. It seems the flickr website was upgraded or something...

tutorial here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_uUEBa_KL8

For asking about trigger receiver,

I use YN560 III, and RF603-N transceiver (nikon version since they dont make pentax version, canon version won't work on pentax)(YN offical link),

My session practice photo,

Pentax Strobist Session 1 - Single Light Shot by shining camera, on Flickr

My Homework practise

Wow! very fast!

Thanks for the links to the YongNuo controllers, I need to update the info of these stuff (was still thinking that the remote controller was not released yet )

I like the moodier Rembrandt type lighting shot for Greg, but I do think that for a more 'corporate' type shoot, the 2nd pict would be better.
For the butterfly lighting, nice try, maybe the shadows in the chin area can be lightened a bit, but I don't think your son will cooperate to hold a reflector. :D
Nice ones, and good to see you try out the lighting. Keep it up and keep them coming.

I hope everyone who attended found the session useful.
Special thanks for Greg who go us such a wonderful place to do the session and to Martini the help.

So I am opening this thread to talk about the session, share what was learned and show what was taken.
Also its for discussing any other problems (even new ones when trying out at home).

I will have to check my schedule for the Session #2 (in Sept) where we will explore 2 and more light setups as well as do hands-on for more creative theme shots.

In the meantime, pls keep the picts and discussions coming and do practice to get more familiar with setting up the camera/flash/equipments.

Awesome session JK! :D

Finally more Pentaxian will understand the power of strobing!
I'm excited for the next one! Will try my very best to make it as I'm keen to have a try at 2 or more flashes. Especially so once we can progress to outdoor! :D

Hi all,

Thanks everyone for their efforts to make this an enjoyable and fruitful one, especially the JK( great organiser), Martini(our strobist sifu who teach selflessly), Greg(who rented the function rm) and those who had contributed their equipments and snapbear(for paying $2 on behalf for me, will pay u back in next meeting :)) .Really appreciate you guys for your dedications. See u and I shall continue this interesting journey of strobing.

Martini showing to get correct exposure when we have overexpose background and underexpose subject
overexposebackgr.JPG

underexpose_subject.JPG

correcting_with_flash_on_umbrella.JPG

Last edited:
Showing subject with and without shadow by playing with umbrella with flash.
unbrella_flash_exposing_with_shadow.JPG

umbrela_flash_without_shadows.JPG

Special lighting from the side up that is supposed to point to the camera lens( but duno wat is the name called)
side_back_effect.JPG

Special lighting from the side up that is supposed to point to the camera lens( but duno wat is the name called)

I think it's just lens flare... :)