Pentax SLR...

Status
Not open for further replies.

airconvent

Apr 12, 2005
Yup...recently have been very curious about the early Pentax SLRs, namely the K1000 and Spotmatics. From what I can gather, the Spotmatics are practically the same as the K1000 except the Spotmatic is M42 while the K1000 is k-mount.
Curious if anyone has experience to share with these classics. Was thinking of buying one to play. Should be quite cheap if we buy the earlier batches which is between 1977-1997?

Have some questions, hope someone who is familiar can share...
1. Can one good conditioned early era K1000 be purhased for around $50?
2. If we put in an autofocus lens, will it damage anything?
3. Is the film used the same "normal" type you can buy anywhere? (The ISO 200 cost $2 per 24 film at Daiso!)
4. For such cameras, you have to depend on the user to guess what ISO, shutter speed to use?

Do share...thanks!

1. Can one good conditioned early era K1000 be purhased for around $50?
2. If we put in an autofocus lens, will it damage anything?
3. Is the film used the same "normal" type you can buy anywhere? (The ISO 200 cost $2 per 24 film at Daiso!)
4. For such cameras, you have to depend on the user to guess what ISO, shutter speed to use?

1. Dun know the price, should be around S$100 +/-. You can try ebay.
2. As long is Pentax mount, no damage to the lens or camera.
3. Film uses is 135 format. No problem with ISO 100 ~ 800 you can buy in the market. No auto ISO, fully manual adjustment needed (same like Nikon FM / FM2).
4. K1000 have built in metering (center weight only).

The operation is the same as other brand fully manual cameras like Nikon FM / FM2, Rich CR / KR 5 or 10....The size of K1000 is not small like MX, ME Super, MG etc. and it's heavy, all metal, solidly built. And the shutter is horizontal movement (X =1/60).

DA lenses can be uses too, with aperture wide open all the time, due to missing aperture ring.

one of the second hand store is selling the k1000 at $180 i think.

For Pentax Spotmatics, just note most(or almost all) of their light meter is not working these days.

The K1000 is the most basic model of the 4 Pentax K-series cameras (K2, KM, KX, K1000) launched in the mid-70s.
I think you should try to find a used Pentax K2 or the smaller Pentax MX.

i've got a mv1 with pentax 50mm f2 and a cosina 200mm f4 thats been in my dry box for a long time. hmmm... time to let go?

i've got a mv1 with pentax 50mm f2 and a cosina 200mm f4 thats been in my dry box for a long time. hmmm... time to let go?

How's the Cosina 200mm like? :bsmilie: I'm falling in love with manual lens.;)

curious...how much would an MV1 cost second hand?
what's the difference between the K1000 and MV1 and KX?:rolleyes:

cheers

curious...how much would an MV1 cost second hand?
what's the difference between the K1000 and MV1 and KX?:rolleyes:

cheers

Don’t know about the price but guess should be around the same as the others.

The Pentax MV1 was introduced in 1980. The MV1 belongs to the Pentax M-series, their compact SLRs. It only has the aperture priority mode.

The K1000 is the simplest of Pentax K-series SLRs, the others are the K2, KM, and KX. All introduced in 1975.

The link from Alvin provided a good table comparing the various cameras.

Thanks for the replies. Bidded for a few good condition ones on ebay but lost out due to time la. The system says "1 min remaining" and then suddenly, it says "bidding ended!"
Anyway, I am not seriously looking for it. If available at a good price, will buy one to try.
But looking at my usage pattern, I think I will take a few shots and then will go back to the K100D! But I guess its nice to own one because its a classic.:thumbsup:

Thanks for the replies. Bidded for a few good condition ones on ebay but lost out due to time la. The system says "1 min remaining" and then suddenly, it says "bidding ended!"
Anyway, I am not seriously looking for it. If available at a good price, will buy one to try.
But looking at my usage pattern, I think I will take a few shots and then will go back to the K100D! But I guess its nice to own one because its a classic.:thumbsup:

This is how I bid, open 2 IE/Firefox. 1 to keep refreshing the time, the one to put the amount and confirm.;) The last min is always the most important:bsmilie:

This is how I bid, open 2 IE/Firefox. 1 to keep refreshing the time, the one to put the amount and confirm.;) The last min is always the most important:bsmilie:

haha..ok..will try and remember that in future.
in anycase, thinking of dropping by the Camera Workshop later today to see if they have any K1000 there...or maybe Cash Converter?

haha..ok..will try and remember that in future.
in anycase, thinking of dropping by the Camera Workshop later today to see if they have any K1000 there...or maybe Cash Converter?

I remember seeing a couple of Pentax bodies at Jurong East cash converter a month back. Too bad no contact numbers to check:(

I remember seeing a couple of Pentax bodies at Jurong East cash converter a month back. Too bad no contact numbers to check:(

My main worry with cash converters is their cameras are not sealed but openly displayed there to collect dust and fungus. If I accidently put one in my dry box, fear is it will spread to the other stuff...anyone has such experience?
Also, which Pentax did you see there?
Since I am buying it as a classic, naturally I should go for the K1000 right this is THE pentax "K" SLR before the M series came along?:)

My main worry with cash converters is their cameras are not sealed but openly displayed there to collect dust and fungus. If I accidently put one in my dry box, fear is it will spread to the other stuff...anyone has such experience?
Also, which Pentax did you see there?
Since I am buying it as a classic, naturally I should go for the K1000 right this is THE pentax "K" SLR before the M series came along?:)

It's a K mount (don't know which model), cause the guy took out the Sigma lens mount on the camera. Was there trying to find good vintage lens.:bsmilie:

It's a K mount (don't know which model), cause the guy took out the Sigma lens mount on the camera. Was there trying to find good vintage lens.:bsmilie:

yes...they do sell some good lenses occcasionally. my ex-vivitar is one of them. They were actually brand new old stock!

yes...they do sell some good lenses occcasionally. my ex-vivitar is one of them. They were actually brand new old stock!

Is your vivitar from Tao Payoh branch? Was looking at it before K10D release, after K10D release it was gone:bsmilie:

Is your vivitar from Tao Payoh branch? Was looking at it before K10D release, after K10D release it was gone:bsmilie:

they have plenty of it. I saw 2 to 3 sets at Tao payoh before I bought it.
You could have bought for me much cheaper as I was selling it a few weeks back but it has found a new owner already...:)

they have plenty of it. I saw 2 to 3 sets at Tao payoh before I bought it.
You could have bought for me much cheaper as I was selling it a few weeks back but it has found a new owner already...:)

The price I saw then was really low. When the Vivitars just came it was only priced at $35-50. Then don't know why changed to $70-100+:think:

That's why I didn't buy from you. No offence, just being honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.