Pentax Sharing Session -Session#1 - basic strobing

pinholecam

Staff member
Jul 23, 2007
Trying to rev up the community here, so offering a series of sharing sessions for Pentaxians only.
As I have chatted with some of the guys, and there are some folks interested in off camera 'studio' type setups, I will start off with this.

This will be a 2-3 session activity tentatively happening once per month.
Most likely, the session will cumulate in participants setting up their own strobist 'booth' at one of the cosplay events (as sort of a real hands on of all that has been learned)
Else, we can close the final session with a model shoot (pool money of course)

All I ask are the following.
1. Pls be committed to turn up for all sessions.
2. Can't be shy; Must post shots from all sessions (thread will be opened for this)
3. Commitment to participate, hands-on and practice what was picked up
4. Pls help to be more active in the forums (post photos, talk, help others, even just say a few words of encouragement )

Session#1 Activity
==================
1. Basics of getting the flash off camera.
2. Introduction to shoot thru and reflective umbrella
3. Basic understanding of ambient and flash control
4. One light setup
5. Hands on session

Time : 2Aug (Sat), 1.30pm
Venue : Seasons Park, Yio Chu Kang Rd

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...=BPaWMn4WmhfgRm439gjs7g&bvm=bv.72197243,d.dGc

We will be practicing on each of the participants.
So come dressed in a role.
Examples:
Scream; Guy Fawkes masked man; Cool guy in tux, clown, etc.
(have fun)

IMO, this is better for learning and taking time to hands on.
If we get a model now, everyone will rush to shoot and not learn anything,

I can only take up to 8ppl in this session (unless someone else can step in to help)
So please register interest here.

I will need suggestions of a place where there is air-con or at least cool shade that is big enough and we won't get chase off by security.
If someone can offer a place, even better.

BTW, this is not the monthly outing.

Last edited:
Trying to rev up the community here, so offering a series of sharing sessions for Pentaxians only.
As I have chatted with some of the guys, and there are some folks interested in off camera 'studio' type setups, I will start off with this.

This will be a 2-3 session activity tentatively happening once per month.
Most likely, the session will cumulate in participants setting up their own strobist 'booth' at one of the cosplay events (as sort of a real hands on of all that has been learned)
Else, we can close the final session with a model shoot (pool money of course)

All I ask are the following.
1. Pls be committed to turn up for all sessions.
2. Can't be shy; Must post shots from all sessions (thread will be opened for this)
3. Commitment to participate, hands-on and practice what was picked up
4. Pls help to be more active in the forums (post photos, talk, help others, even just say a few words of encouragement )

Session#1 Activity
==================
1. Basics of getting the flash off camera.
2. Introduction to shoot thru and reflective umbrella
3. Basic understanding of ambient and flash control
4. One light setup
5. Hands on session

Time : 2Aug (Sat), 2pm
Venue : TBA

We will be practicing on each of the participants.
So come dressed in a role.
Examples:
Scream; Guy Fawkes masked man; Cool guy in tux, clown, etc.
(have fun)

IMO, this is better for learning and taking time to hands on.
If we get a model now, everyone will rush to shoot and not learn anything,

I can only take up to 8ppl in this session (unless someone else can step in to help)
So please register interest here.

I will need suggestions of a place where there is air-con or at least cool shade that is big enough and we won't get chase off by security.
If someone can offer a place, even better.

BTW, this is not the monthly outing.

Great work.

I be the 1st to register.

#01 maverickh

Hmm.. by the way, is it possible to learn earlier then try out with cosplayer on that day also?

http://theeoy.com/2013/
EOY Cosplay Festival 2014 – 2nd & 3rd August @ Marina Barrage which is happening on the day itself..

Hmm.. by the way, is it possible to learn earlier then try out with cosplayer on that day also?

http://theeoy.com/2013/
EOY Cosplay Festival 2014 – 2nd & 3rd August @ Marina Barrage which is happening on the day itself..

Sorry, my time is very tight.
I am already stretching myself with the sessions.
Can't be so selfish always leave my wife to take care of 3 small children at home.
On the 2Aug, I have some help at home, which is why I have quickly organised this session.
Thanks for understanding.

Also, better to learn properly.
Don't rush thru it.

There will be more cosplays in the future.:)

Sorry, my time is very tight.
I am already stretching myself with the sessions.
Can't be so selfish always leave my wife to take care of 3 small children at home.
On the 2Aug, I have some help at home, which is why I have quickly organised this session.
Thanks for understanding.

Also, better to learn properly.
Don't rush thru it.

There will be more cosplays in the future.:)

ah sure sure :) It was more just a thought.. hee...
Important that you are willing to share more ..

Thanks J K for setting the sharing on the coming Saturday. I am unable to make it so will join the next one. Only have the basics but not good enough.

Can i suggest the venue to be the underpass between esplanade citylink? I think Baracus did a sharing at there before..there is air conditioning and quite centrally located..only thing is that as it is a public place (with pple practising dance or in line skating there), there might be limited place..but on the other hand, the more handsome pentaxians can ask the pple to pose for them :p

Can i suggest the venue to be the underpass between esplanade citylink? I think Baracus did a sharing at there before..there is air conditioning and quite centrally located..only thing is that as it is a public place (with pple practising dance or in line skating there), there might be limited place..but on the other hand, the more handsome pentaxians can ask the pple to pose for them :p

Great idea!
Thx.

Keep the suggestions coming.
Maybe some guy later let us use his condo event room or sosomething.... :D

Great idea!
Thx.

Keep the suggestions coming.
Maybe some guy later let us use his condo event room or sosomething.... :D

Right. I have booked the function room in seasons park, yio chu kang road. From 11am to 5 am for the session, provided you think it's a better venue.let me know so I will confirm the booking by this weekend.

Right. I have booked the function room in seasons park, yio chu kang road. From 11am to 5 am for the session, provided you think it's a better venue.let me know so I will confirm the booking by this weekend.

Thats great!

Thanks for the help.

So we confirm. Time is 11am to 5 pm. You decide when to start and endanger.

Thanks again. :)

We start at 1.30pm then.
I need to finish some home chores first before that.

So just to confirm the participants :

1. Maverick
2. Yamakasi?
4. Randy?
3. Greg

If anyone is interested to bring their ability to use the flash beyond just mounted on the hot shoe for fill light, this will be the session to come to.
Some examples :

Very interested but can't make it due to commitment on same day same time. Thanks for organizing.

Yup yup , I be attending. Any ideas what do we need to bring down?
But I have no idea what role or what to dress up. Ain't a model. :p

Yup yup , I be attending. Any ideas what do we need to bring down?
But I have no idea what role or what to dress up. Ain't a model. :p

Great.
Can catch up again on Sat.

Dress as Sailor Moon lor..... :D
Just come as yourself is fine too, but no escaping being model since we practice on each other.
Or you can always pass by toys r us and get an ironman mask :D

Very nice to see you guys starting something like this. And sorry I've not checked in for a while.

Would love to go, but Sat. is always too busy for me :(

Hi JK,

Any slot left, I would love to join this activity. :).

Hi JK,

Any slot left, I would love to join this activity. :).

Done!
Added you to the list :)

1. Maverick
2. Yamakasi
3. Randy
4. Greg
5. Lensk

JK, with your advertisement, I am pretty sure the no. will reach 8 very soon!