Pentax SDM issues/poll

SDM Failure Poll

Results are only viewable after voting.

jazzper

Mar 17, 2012
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Yes, I know that this question has already been beaten half to death over at PentaxForum. Read the http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/pentax-ricoh/1203677-bring-back-your-dead-sdm-lenses-life-hack-works.html thread and it looks like most regulars have had their SDM die on them.

So how bad is the situation? I would like to purchase a DA*50-135 but the SDM issue reliability is putting me off. SDM owners please share your experience , and cost of repair if any.

I was one of the first few who bought the DA* lenses when it first arrived here. Still have them all and so far all these years didn't encounter any SDM failure. Really well worth the money i spent on them.;)

I got my DA*16-50 in 2008 and till today, it is still working perfectly. If you had read in PF, the newer 2012 manufactured lenses do not have the issue anymore as the motor has been changed to a new type. SO WHY are you so worried about failure when the new version has the new motor?

Last edited:
My 16-50 have been with me 1 yr plus and the SDM is working fine. With the K5IIs now its AF much faster than the old K5. If the SDM dead, there still a way to get the screw drive working. So it ain't the end of the world.

I bought mine da*60-250 year 2011 july...till now no problem. Just used it yesterday. :) dont worry be happy...

i've had a out of warranty 16-50 for a couple of months now. No problems so far. Just damn heavy lah! haha

I got my DA*16-50 in 2008 and till today, it is still working perfectly. If you had read in PF, the newer 2012 manufactured lenses do not have the issue anymore as the motor has been changed to a new type. SO WHY are you so worried about failure when the new version has the new motor?

I would like to use my Pentax setup for paid assignments, cannot afford to have SDM fail in the middle of a shoot. Cant differentiate between newer 2012 lenses vs older stock, been using Canon's USM/Nikon AFS lenses and i love the relative silence of it , I can see its potential for use during events so SDM is also a selling point for me.

I would like to use my Pentax setup for paid assignments, cannot afford to have SDM fail in the middle of a shoot. Cant differentiate between newer 2012 lenses vs older stock, been using Canon's USM/Nikon AFS lenses and i love the relative silence of it , I can see its potential for use during events so SDM is also a selling point for me.

Any system can fail on you.
Thats why working photographers have a spare camera and lenses.
If the zoom lens fails, the photographer can still press on with a spare 35mm or 50mm or even 17-50/2.8 or kit lens.

A lens can fail or be dropped and fail after that in working situations be it Pentax or Canikony.
Just be well prepared, if its a 'rice bowl' situation.
My few cents.

Any system can fail on you.
Thats why working photographers have a spare camera and lenses.
If the zoom lens fails, the photographer can still press on with a spare 35mm or 50mm or even 17-50/2.8 or kit lens.

A lens can fail or be dropped and fail after that in working situations be it Pentax or Canikony.
Just be well prepared, if its a 'rice bowl' situation.
My few cents.
Yup, currently using a 5dii and D300 setup courtesy of my workplace. But would like to bring my k5ii (and kx?)into play, as i love how the k5ii handles and the fantastic high iso performance. Got poisoned by the canikon 70-200 2.8's when renting, heheh. Anyway thanks for the feedback, will pick up a da*50-135 once CP+ is over! ;)