Pentax Rumors:Pentax files a patent for a DA*25-350mm F3.3-5.6ED [IF] SDM lens

There isn't any sign they are making FF...the comment say it's cropped, no FF is a disappointment for some, yeah!

umpf!.

Pentax DA25 350mm F3.3 5.6 lens patent Pentax files a patent for a DA*25 350mm F3.3 5.6ED [IF] SDM lens

* Patent application: 2011-8234
* Release date: 01/13/2011
* Filing date 05/22/2009
* Focal length: 25.71-339.99mm (13.22 zoom ratio)
* Aperture: 3.3-5.7
* Angle of view: 4.8-60°
* Image circle: 28.48mm
* Back focus: 52.92-108.59mm
* lens length: 174.86-281.04mm
* Internal Focusing

It's APSC. :sweat:

Wasn't there another rumour about a DA* 12-35? Both of these lenses together would make an awesome travel set - 12mm to 350mm coverage (drool), with enough overlap to reduce the amount of lens changing required.

FF DOF very important. It's very different with APSC DOF you know... but I'm not hoping... I'm just saying. :)

i'm well aware. but to pay a disproportionatly higher price for DOF control, a slightly different perspective and higher megapixels... i just wonder :think:

the package will probably be in a much chunkier body as well.

there are undeniable compromises for an APS-C body but so far, i've been able to live with it.

i'm well aware. but to pay a disproportionatly higher price for DOF control, a slightly different perspective and higher megapixels... i just wonder :think:

the package will probably be in a much chunkier body as well.

there are undeniable compromises for an APS-C body but so far, i've been able to live with it.

and more field of view for landscape ;)

FF is quite attractive if you are interested in the wider angles with large apertures for portraits, the availability of relatively cheap third party primes makes the cost difference quite reasonable.

Its pretty specialized, but there is a definite appeal for me, at least. I love my K-5 to death but there are just some things which it cannot do.

and more field of view for landscape ;)
actually I'm thinking of 12mm on full frame... 121 degree FOV, but sadly it's only available on RF, probably sigma 8-16 mm have the same FOV... :heart:

FF is quite attractive if you are interested in the wider angles with large apertures for portraits, the availability of relatively cheap third party primes makes the cost difference quite reasonable.

Its pretty specialized, but there is a definite appeal for me, at least. I love my K-5 to death but there are just some things which it cannot do.

Actually tools are meant for a specific user. each have pro's and cons. that's why manufacturers produces a lot of models for bodies and lenses to suit each own style. :)

but Hell! I thought 25-350 really is FF lens. based upon wide end of 25mm... :sweat:

Last edited:
But based on this patent, we can see that Pentax is starting to go for widest & longer FL. Maybe soon can see the DA 500mm f4?? who knows.

But based on this patent, we can see that Pentax is starting to go for widest & longer FL. Maybe soon can see the DA 500mm f4?? who knows.

widest can...
longest, better...

but not both on one lens barrel! :embrass:

seems that this is star of Ultrazooms... :rolleyes:

Honestly, I'd rather they come up with cheap DA 28, 50 and DA*85/1.4, 135/2. Maybe throw in a 80-200/2.8 while they are at it.
Come to think of it, all they should do is put a AF motor on the A and A* lenses and mold the polycarbonate lens bodies. No need to file new patents for super zooms :bsmilie:

Honestly, I'd rather they come up with cheap DA 28, 50 and DA*85/1.4, 135/2. Maybe throw in a 80-200/2.8 while they are at it.
Come to think of it, all they should do is put a AF motor on the A and A* lenses and mold the polycarbonate lens bodies. No need to file new patents for super zooms :bsmilie:

if they're gonna dust off their old designs and refresh it, i hope the do a refresh of the A*200F4 macro... ;p

Actually Hoya should release new teleconverters (TC) and auto focus adaptors (AFA), the F1.7x AFA is already super old, and it's almost impossible to find original Pentax 1.4x and 2.0x TCs. Just imagine the possibility of a 1x AFA with a big aperture together with the A50/1.2!

For updates to old lens designs, shouldn't they put it as DFA, DFA*, so that it's more clear which lens supports FF cameras. Hoya is unlikely to produce a FF DSLR camera any time soon, so I suggest those who want FF capability for wider field of view (FOV) and depth of field (DOF) to go back to Pentax film cameras. It's cheaper, lighter and has the equivalent of billions of megapixels when compared to FF DSLR cameras from Canon, Nikon and Sony :)

anyway, a 25-350 works out to abt 37.5-525mm... comparable to the sigma 50-500... makes me wonder why, of all the unfilled niche in the market, did they choose to fill this one :confused:

certainly not the most compelling unmet demand imo.