Pentax Q up on official site

pinholecam

Staff member
Jul 23, 2007
http://www.pentaximaging.com/slr/Q_White/

Can't say I'm too excited about styling...
Totally silly pop up flash (I'd rather it not pop up) :)
Maybe a black one will change my mind, but I need some sample photos taken by camera to be convinced.
May still play with one if price is nice and a black version looks ok.

On some thought, its more of a compact cam (G13, LX5) type competitor except with interchangeable lenses.
Nice concept except that the sensor is too small?? (still need those sample photos to be convinced)

Keeping my fingers crossed with the APS-C version they are expected to announce later in Aug.

Last edited:
it actually shoots RAW and JPEG :thumbsup: sounds good.

its performance may still be hampered by the small sensor size but i guess we'll just have to wait for the sample pix and reviews before deciding if its truly a breakthrough product, or piece of junk. :think:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/PENTAXQ/PENTAXQA.HTM

another look at the specs/features with a few sample shots from the 8.5mm lens :)

pretty cute but i'm turned off by the extra small sensor - would rather an EVIL i can use my limiteds on :D

i think its intended for a different market segment - the current lens selection is positioned more as an amateur "play-play" segment.

i'm personally looking forward to a 1:1 macro lens! :lovegrin: small sensor can be very useful for macro :)

http://www.pentaximaging.com/slr/Q_White/

Can't say I'm too excited about styling...
Totally silly pop up flash (I'd rather it not pop up) :)
Maybe a black one will change my mind, but I need some sample photos taken by camera to be convinced.
May still play with one if price is nice and a black version looks ok.

On some thought, its more of a compact cam (G13, LX5) type competitor except with interchangeable lenses.
Nice concept except that the sensor is too small?? (still need those sample photos to be convinced)

Keeping my fingers crossed with the APS-C version they are expected to announce later in Aug.

The Q features a small flash that does its best to distance itself from the lens, to minimise the risk of shading and to help offer less stark flash images.

A menu option lets you choose whether the flash can fire in its unextended position.

hey its super small and i hope it does well for Pentax - but i agree its not exactly aimed at our market segment :p

good point about the macro! actually the test shots of the 30mm macro on the nex-c3 look pretty good. want to see test shots of the DA 35mm macro on that sensor though :p

That is one tiny fella. Good features though, besides the miniscule sensor.
Should have compared the size/features to the Auto110 or the digital counterpart.

Flash X-sync at 1/2000s! :O

As long as it's shutterless, hi-speed sync is applicable, even off-shoe. :)

if pentax or 3rd produce the K mount to Q mount adapter,

does that means, the M 50mm f1.7 manual lens becomes a 50x6= 300 mm f1.7 lens.
as 8.5mm = equi. 50mm as they produce.

if pentax or 3rd produce the K mount to Q mount adapter,

does that means, the M 50mm f1.7 manual lens becomes a 50x6= 300 mm f1.7 lens.
as 8.5mm = equi. 50mm as they produce.

Yeah, you can use your 50mm lens to shoot birds when mounted on this cute cute little Q :cool:

I am not sure whether k-mount lenses have the LP/MM to resolve for a 12mp 1/2.33 sensor lol. Imagine taking a picture with a K-5, and then cropping out 1/13 from the center portion. Then blow it up. The original image needs to be very, very sharp for you to get an acceptable image.

Shutter as part of the lens is also not terribly reassuring. The supposed higher flash sync speed is interesting but like Baracus said this is already available with any compact camera with a hotshoe.

i would moderate my expectations where this camera is concerned. potential adaptability with K-mount lenses is also heavily dependent on 3rd party makers. if the body doesn't take off, no one would make them.

it is definitely one step up from a regular PNS with a sensor of a similar size because PNS cameras normally have crap lenses. by using well engineered lenses with a big aperture (like the kit F1.9 lens) the Q will probably give images that are nicer than a PNS - simply because more light is being captured.

but expecting to deliver like an aps-c or even a M43 mirrorless is probably wishful thinking.

the pricing is also off - expensive bodies, cheap lenses. :what: i thought a cheaper body with moderately priced lenses will strike a better balance.

oh well... everyone's a critic and opinion is free :bsmilie:

I am a bit disappointed the sensor is so small.... I was hoping for a ~M43 sensor size.
Unless Pentax can do magic... I doubt it will perform close to a M43 camera.
The GF3 is 220g vs Q at 180g... so the Q is not that small for its sensor size.

I am curious... 50mm ~300mm on the Q... but wouldn't it also mean ~f10.2 since the small sensor only get 1/6 the light.

I am a bit disappointed the sensor is so small.... I was hoping for a ~M43 sensor size.

I am curious... 50mm ~300mm on the Q... but wouldn't it also mean ~f10.2 since the small sensor only get 1/6 the light.

iirc, crop factor only affects to focal length. it doesn't affect max aperture or amt of light hitting the sensor.

e.g. a 50mm f1.4 is still f1.4 whether its mounted on a full frame or an APS-C. just that the perspective is 75mm on the APS-C. Hence, for an APS-C to get the same perspective and DOF as the 50mm f1.4 on a FF, u'll need a 35mm F1.4.

Nope, amount of light will be f/1.7, only the DOF equivalent will be f10.2
Oh well, it is a pns sensor after all, who can expect bokehlicious images from a pns?