Pentax Q-S1 and DA645 28-45mm F4.5 annouced

ranchy

Jan 11, 2010
Pentax Q-S1

http://www.us.ricoh-imaging.com/qsystem/QS-1_Black
http://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/pentax-news-rumors/pentax-q-s1-officially-announced.html

Ricoh Imaging (Pentax) has just officially announced the Pentax Q-S1, the latest addition to Pentax's lineup of ultra-compact interchangeable lens cameras.
The Q-S1 is a cosmetic refresh of the Pentax Q7, much like the Pentax Q10 was an externally-redesigned Pentax Q. While small software tweaks have been made, in terms of hardware specifications, the Q-S1 does not differ at all from the Q7 (more details on the minor tweaks can be found later in this post).
Pentax Q-S1 key specifications:
Sensor: 12.4-megapixel 1/1.7" CMOS (4000x3000px resolution)
Stabilization: Sensor-shift Shake Reduction
Video recording: 1080p/720p/VGA at up to 30FPS
Monitor: 3" LCD, 460k dots, 3:2 aspect ratio
Viewfinder: N/A
Lens mount: Pentax Q-mount (accepts virtually any lens via adapter)
Weight: 203g
Dimensions: 105 x 58 x 34mm (4.13 x 2.28 x 1.34")

Copy from Pentaxforum.

DA645 28-45mm F4.5 Lens
http://www.pentaxforums.com/article...8-45mm-f45-ed-aw-sr-officially-announced.html

Last edited:
I personally felt the news not that exciting though, especially on the new Q. Not sure what is the minor tweaks about.. zzzz

at least now the pink color one looks more fashionable than Q7 toy shape

Nice design.
But for camera enthusiasts, probably pretty lame.

Jap market is what this thing is targeted at.
They like this sort of thing.

The -S1 designation suggests a split in the series.
So let's see.

Mainly, I am eager for the macro lens.
Nothing for me for this camera.

Pentax/Ricoh announced the Q about three years ago, I'm surprised that they still keep revolving this product line while some others have been discontinued (GR/GRX...). Wonder if they'd really consider mirrorless cameras very seriously.

DSLR cameras/lenses haven't been sold well in the past year or two (it's for everyone, not just Pentax/Ricoh), medium format 645D/Z are too rich for most people, Q series only sold well in Japan but trashed (well, not really trashed, but can only sell when it's really dirty cheap) everywhere else. Don't know what Pentax/Ricoh would do to retain/expend its user base.

We don't want to end up w/ more Sony camera than Pentax in our monthly outings ...

IMGP4854_s_zpsd4dc73e4.jpg

Pentax/Ricoh announced the Q about three years ago, I'm surprised that they still keep revolving this product line while some others have been discontinued (GR/GRX...). Wonder if they'd really consider mirrorless cameras very seriously.

DSLR cameras/lenses haven't been sold well in the past year or two (it's for everyone, not just Pentax/Ricoh), medium format 645D/Z are too rich for most people, Q series only sold well in Japan but trashed (well, not really trashed, but can only sell when it's really dirty cheap) everywhere else. Don't know what Pentax/Ricoh would do to retain/expend its user base.

We don't want to end up w/ more Sony camera than Pentax in our monthly outings ...

Sweat.......... think there are a few maybe already at the line and just one small little steps over.. :X

I never understand pentax numbering system - if there is any system.
In the mean time, sticking with my original Q ...

I never understand pentax numbering system - if there is any system.
In the mean time, sticking with my original Q ...

pentax like to be unique and thats why the focal length for the 3 princess, 31, 43 and 77

pentax like to be unique and thats why the focal length for the 3 princess, 31, 43 and 77

True that but the problem we have at hand here is Pentax/Ricoh getting confused between unique and lame, or interesting and stupid..

But oh well... I believe they're waiting for Sony to get "tired" of their current sensor in the A7/r, then Pentax will buy it from them at sales price, between businesses..

Nevertheless, I'm still with Pentax! More to film though.. LoL!

I see how Pentax is in Japan, and I think I can understand a bit of the psyche.
Its a decent strength brand in Japan, certainly in every camera shop unlike in other countries.
That makes its thinking Japan market orientated. (and this is still a camera crazy country we are talking about here)
The Q sells, limited Ed sells and little bits of finery (eg. metal build; good construction; etc) are appreciated (typical of fine Jap goods)
Its not a company thinking 'outside World'.
Its thinking along the lines of a camera maker in a Japan market. (everything else overseas is extra)
Thats bad in the sense that some things like this Q-S1 just don't make that much sense to us.
Its good in the sense that Pentax has kept inventory low and not made a loss. (the other big 3 made losses)

Q-S1, seems to suggest "Q" - "Stylish" "1" (a split in the series?)
So will there be Q-P1 "Q" "Powerful" "1"? :D

Sony A7, I see it as a good and bad thing.
On the bad, it takes our user base $$ away from any Pentax camera release.
On the other hand, these ppl get to use their Pentax lenses on a FF sensor and they stay a Pentaxian. (riding on a PONY) :D

On another positive note, I see ppl like myself and other Pentax lens users reach out to a larger pool of users and show ppl what Pentax lenses can do. (not just hiding in a cave polishing our 'precioussss.." )
FM forums, serious compacts, MF forums, ppl take notice, ask questions.
Else, many will still think that lenses only got Canikon.

Better than some folks jumping to another brand, then coming back in to say things like
"I've jumped ship, the grass looks greener and all you guys left here are suckers"
Or such similar nonsense.
Here, its still ok, its pretty bad on PF (esp. since their lax moderation allows it)

Last edited:
I see how Pentax is in Japan, and I think I can understand a bit of the psyche.
Its a decent strength brand in Japan, certainly in every camera shop unlike in other countries.
That makes its thinking Japan market orientated. (and this is still a camera crazy country we are talking about here)
The Q sells, limited Ed sells and little bits of finery (eg. metal build; good construction; etc) are appreciated (typical of fine Jap goods)
Its not a company thinking 'outside World'.
Its thinking along the lines of a camera maker in a Japan market. (everything else overseas is extra)
Thats bad in the sense that some things like this Q-S1 just don't make that much sense to us.
Its good in the sense that Pentax has kept inventory low and not made a loss. (the other big 3 made losses)

Q-S1, seems to suggest "Q" - "Stylish" "1" (a split in the series?)
So will there be Q-P1 "Q" "Powerful" "1"? :D

Sony A7, I see it as a good and bad thing.
On the bad, it takes our user base $$ away from any Pentax camera release.
On the other hand, these ppl get to use their Pentax lenses on a FF sensor and they stay a Pentaxian. (riding on a PONY) :D

On another positive note, I see ppl like myself and other Pentax lens users reach out to a larger pool of users and show ppl what Pentax lenses can do. (not just hiding in a cave polishing our 'precioussss.." )
FM forums, serious compacts, MF forums, ppl take notice, ask questions.
Else, many will still think that lenses only got Canikon.

Better than some folks jumping to another brand, then coming back in to say things like
"I've jumped ship, the grass looks greener and all you guys left here are suckers"
Or such similar nonsense.
Here, its still ok, its pretty bad on PF (esp. since their lax moderation allows it)

True... Sometimes it frustrates me when people slam Pentax for not being able to do what they want but usually, it's a case of knowingly buying something and expecting it to perform out of its capabilities. LoL!

True... Sometimes it frustrates me when people slam Pentax for not being able to do what they want but usually, it's a case of knowingly buying something and expecting it to perform out of its capabilities. LoL!

Bro i got same incident too when ppl ask me what is pentax or why u buy pentax...hahaha...i still like pentax rendering...swee swee

Guys, what's wrong with annoucing a Q camera (esp. for its intended market)? Maybe some don't like the Q10 and Q7 design, and prefer this one. Looks really nice in my eyes.

I find the camera very competent for its purpose though there may be compacts that seems more capable on paper. All cameras are great in the right hands .. ;-)

One Example (though you may not like his pictures).

[video=youtube;foWAs3V_lkg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foWAs3V_lkg[/video]

... You want wide, you have 08, you want prime, you have 01, if you want fisheye, also have. You want tele, you get the 06. Just waiting for the macro to come.

It's not always about shallow DOF all the time. :sweat:

Last edited:
Reactions: pinholecam
So, Q7 price will drop?

Guys, what's wrong with annoucing a Q camera (esp. for its intended market)? Maybe some don't like the Q10 and Q7 design, and prefer this one. Looks really nice in my eyes.

I find the camera very competent for its purpose though there may be compacts that seems more capable on paper. All cameras are great in the right hands .. ;-)

... You want wide, you have 08, you want prime, you have 01, if you want fisheye, also have. You want tele, you get the 06. Just waiting for the macro to come.

Well said.
Serious compacts nowadays can do quite a bit.

Keenly awaiting the Q macro lens.

Hmm true true, it's not always shallow DOF...

Just that I was hoping more exciting stuff from them maybe.

If the Q have touch screen (not that i am interested in it), Tiltable screen, built in NFC or Wifi, faster FPS, even better AWB, snap focus etc.. think it would attract more news/headline.

Just a thought on the above. :p

Nothing wrong w/ the Q, it's just I hope Pentax/Ricoh should put more effort (R&D) in developing (or at least continuing) something new and more exciting, and more suitable for mainstream instead of doing the same thing (changing colors/coatings...) over and over and over again.

Can't understand why they take GR out of product line but continue changing outfits for the Qs. And thought they'd have done something about the K01 already (other than cut it off)...