Pentax Outing Lens Shootout -85mm primes

Hi pinholecam,

thanks for the additional comparison. Agree that the J9 @ f/2 has a ' dreamy effect ', probably only for those who wants to give his / her photo a different feel to it. Again I think its not very often which one will use @ f2.

True. As long as you can visualize how the dreamy effect fits into your vision. And as with most effects, use sparingly.

Jupiter9 @f2 (no hood)

Portrait
4131243774_73890892e0_o.jpg

Environmental
4123704316_95aca0bd0d_o.jpg

IMO, the Jupiter excels when there's foliage in the background to accentuate the "creaminess".

Last edited:
True. As long as you can visualize how the dreamy effect fits into your vision. And as with most effects, use sparingly.

Jupiter9 @f2 (no hood)

Portrait

]​

IMO, the Jupiter excels when there's foliage in the background to accentuate the "creaminess".

Excellent example :thumbsup:

I think many have been mistaken to take my more technical/stiff comparison shots as the 'right' example that a J9 is just plain bad. The hard lines and subject matter of the wooden mask in my example demands sharpness and just can't inspire the use of the lens at f2 and f2.8. What you have shown clear shows what can be achieved if the photographer can conceptualize and understand the lens he has.

A J9 at f2, f2.8 is like an artists 0.01 paint brush. You don't paint a whole picture with it, nor use it as wide open so often, but when you do, it can add that fineness in the painting and lifts the picture.

Nothing as outstanding as the sample from Baracus, but here is my interpretation of the lens usage.
K7JP0904-1.jpg

Last edited:

Jupiter9 @f2 (no hood)

Portrait

Environmental

Damn... looking at those pictures is making me of having to own one jupiter 9. But to own another 85mm lens, argh.. ;( Between are there alot of version of the jupiter 9? Is the lens still in production?

Damn... looking at those pictures is making me of having to own one jupiter 9. But to own another 85mm lens, argh.. ;( Between are there alot of version of the jupiter 9? Is the lens still in production?

If its cheap then why not? :devil:
The bad thing is that may forums and sites have promoted the J9 to a special status and the price has gone up.

Frankly, as I've said, if someone came up to me and asked "I've got a max budget of ~$400 and I need a short telephoto like a 85mm". I won't recommend a J9. Look for a M85/2 (or maybe the Tak 85mm, or a longer lens like the 100mm, 135/2.5; 135/3.5). Better dependability as you can see for yourself from the sample picts. Usable in all situations from f2.

If you are looking at a fun/specialty/second 85mm, then yes, a J9 can be worth a look.

IIRC, J9 is still in production. The vintage that is considered the worst are the ones done in the 80's. There are some claims that the newer ones have a bit more multi coating.

Excellent example :thumbsup:

I think many have been mistaken to take my more technical/stiff comparison shots as the 'right' example that a J9 is just plain bad. The hard lines and subject matter of the wooden mask in my example demands sharpness and just can't inspire the use of the lens at f2 and f2.8. What you have shown clear shows what can be achieved if the photographer can conceptualize and understand the lens he has.

But the beam coming out of her head spoils it...
Frankly speaking, those was from my virgin outing with the J9. The dreamy texture took a lot of getting used to. I had to constantly remind myself that the shots were not out-of-focus to prevent myself from deleting them immediately.

Damn... looking at those pictures is making me of having to own one jupiter 9. But to own another 85mm lens, argh.. Between are there alot of version of the jupiter 9? Is the lens still in production?

The J9 QC is known to be problematic. They range from sharp wide open to still hazy stopped down. :sweat: Mine is sharp from f4 onwards. It's all about the quirks...

I wouldn't mind another 85mm from Pentax for "proper/technical" shots. There are some J9 floating in BnS, but I think you can ask bro evolutioner to get one for you cheap direct from Russia. ;)

Sweet. But does it have 15 aperture blades? ;p

I am looking out for ppl to bring the following to the outing to compare :

1. 77tld
2. Jupiter9
3. Takumar 85/1.9 and 1.8
4. A85/1.4
5. DA70
6. K85/1.9
7. M85/2
8. Samyang/Bower/Polar 85/1.4
9. Helios 40-2 (added)

Don't worry, I will only test the lens on my camera for a short session (10-20min) at the outing meet up point and returned immediately. :)

Do chip in any other 'like' focal length lenses if you are interested in the results. (Eg. 55-200 at 85mm)

The test format is simple.

1. Lens sharpness
a. wide open
b. stopped down to equal other lenses in the test

2. OOF rendering

3. Sample shots at :
a. small objects
b. shoulder to head portrait
c. half body portrait

Edited : added the Helios 40-2

I think it's gonna take more than 20mins... So who's going to be the test model? No Leengirl, how? :bsmilie:

I think it's gonna take more than 20mins... So who's going to be the test model? No Leengirl, how? :bsmilie:

Belanja breakfast lor, definitely got willing models...:bsmilie:

Jupiter9 @f2 (no hood)

Portrait

Environmental

Hi Baracus,

Thanks for this contribution. It definitely brings a different perspective to this lens. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

If its cheap then why not? :devil:
The bad thing is that may forums and sites have promoted the J9 to a special status and the price has gone up.

Frankly, as I've said, if someone came up to me and asked "I've got a max budget of ~$400 and I need a short telephoto like a 85mm". I won't recommend a J9. Look for a M85/2 (or maybe the Tak 85mm, or a longer lens like the 100mm, 135/2.5; 135/3.5). Better dependability as you can see for yourself from the sample picts. Usable in all situations from f2.

If you are looking at a fun/specialty/second 85mm, then yes, a J9 can be worth a look.

IIRC, J9 is still in production. The vintage that is considered the worst are the ones done in the 80's. There are some claims that the newer ones have a bit more multi coating.

Ic.. Yah, i agree, the "Dreamy" feel is good and fun when you need something different. But to spend too much on it, really can't find it worth it. :think: Finding a Pentax or Takumar 85mm would be much worth it, i felt. ^^

Frankly speaking, those was from my virgin outing with the J9. The dreamy texture took a lot of getting used to. I had to constantly remind myself that the shots were not out-of-focus to prevent myself from deleting them immediately.

The J9 QC is known to be problematic. They range from sharp wide open to still hazy stopped down. :sweat: Mine is sharp from f4 onwards. It's all about the quirks...

I wouldn't mind another 85mm from Pentax for "proper/technical" shots. There are some J9 floating in BnS, but I think you can ask bro evolutioner to get one for you cheap direct from Russia. ;)
Hmm, although the beam coming out of her head spoils it, but it still look so nice.. If it is cheap i don't mind ;p but that one must slowly liao. Poor man now.

Sweet. But does it have 15 aperture blades? ;p

no its a 6 bladed one..

however, i just went around scouting again today, and came back with the infamous starry aperture m42 lens, guess which 1 it is? hint* macro hint*

besides, i saw a jupiter-40, jupiter-9, both in pretty good condition.. and an awesome number of carl zeiss jena...!

Hi Baracus,

Thanks for this contribution. It definitely brings a different perspective to this lens. :thumbsup:

You're welcomed. :)

If it is cheap i don't mind ;p but that one must slowly liao. Poor man now.

Local price is $200, e-bay can go anywhere from $60-300. Your choice. ;)

however, i just went around scouting again today, and came back with the infamous starry aperture m42 lens, guess which 1 it is? hint* macro hint*

Hmm... Industar 61/ Volna 9 or some other Helios? :think: The bokeh smear is kinda acquired taste, but excels when pointed at light sources, showcasing its star shaped iris...

Me not there or you can test the K85/1.8
Yeah, too bad, would be a nice comparison since its a highly rated lens. At the moment, its :

1. FA85
2. J9
3. Sigma 70-200/2.8 @85mm

Belanja breakfast lor, definitely got willing models...:bsmilie:
Ok.. la.. I book you 1st unless Victoria Tan turns up cause she told me she might have another shot scheduled. ;)

You're welcomed. :)

Local price is $200, e-bay can go anywhere from $60-300. Your choice. ;)

Hmm... Industar 61/ Volna 9 or some other Helios? :think: The bokeh smear is kinda acquired taste, but excels when pointed at light sources, showcasing its star shaped iris...

yup, the industar 61 L/Z..
asked for volna but the storekeeper old already, cant remember where he placed it.. :(

Thanks. Looks a little bit like Leica design. <:

i tio LBA already.. 4 days of short holiday and i got myself 3 lenses:

helios 44k-4
industar-61 L/Z
jupiter-37a 135/3.5

all scorpioh's fault.... lol

i tio LBA already.. 4 days of short holiday and i got myself 3 lenses:

helios 44k-4
industar-61 L/Z
jupiter-37a 135/3.5

all scorpioh's fault.... lol

Consider yourself lucky. If you got his scorpion venom, you would have got all the FA ltds and A* :D