Pentax or Sigma 50mm 1.4 ?

Recoil3d

Jan 23, 2010
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Which lens would you buy ? Thinking of getting a fast prime lens ;) but do not know which is better and their price:eek: heard the sigma is not as sharp as the pentax one ? 50mm may also be abit too zoomed in for me any other suggestions like a fast 28mm-50mm around $400-$600 ? TIA

I bought the Pentax 50/F1.4 for $500.
Can get cheaper like $490 (Manly) but no stock at that time.

The Sigma 50mm F1.4 is quite abit more expensive and its also much bigger and heavier than the Pentax 50mm.. I will go for the Pentax because its cheaper and smaller.

Both lenses have AF right? So the sigma is more clearer then the pentax or vice versa ?? lots of mixed views:sweat: any1 know the price of the sigma and pentax 55mm 1.4 ?

Last edited:
i was thinking about getting pentax one but is still kinda exxx around $493 when i went to slr revo to ask heard u all guys in the pass got it @ around 350plus in the pass :(
how about the sigma one is it cheaper?
yeah is the pentax 50mm f1.7 better than the f1.4 one??
tia

i was thinking about getting pentax one but is still kinda exxx around $493 when i went to slr revo to ask heard u all guys in the pass got it @ around 350plus in the pass :(
how about the sigma one is it cheaper?
yeah is the pentax 50mm f1.7 better than the f1.4 one??
tia

That was before the increase in price. Sigma is more ex than the pentax one.

FA 1.7 no more. Only FA1.4

Last edited:
That was before the increase in price. Sigma is more ex than the pentax one.

FA 1.7 no more. Only FA1.5

ohhh so sigma now still more ex than pentax one right???
FA1.5?? never heard of it before??:dunno:

You should probably call up the shops to enquire about prices for the Sigma 50mm if you interested in that... I doubt anyone here knows since.. I've never heard of any Pentaxian with that lens. I don't even think Sigma produce this lens for Pentax mount anymore. Tin Cheung lists the lens for Canon Sony and Nikon but not Pentax, priced at SG$600, I'd expect it would be ~$750 locally.

Which lens would you buy ? Thinking of getting a fast prime lens ;) but do not know which is better and their price:eek: heard the sigma is not as sharp as the pentax one ? 50mm may also be abit too zoomed in for me any other suggestions like a fast 28mm-50mm around $400-$600 ? TIA
depends if you will use the 50mm extensively or will it be a white elephant.

for me, i would find the 35mm F/2 or 28mm F/2.8 more useful in my line.

You should probably call up the shops to enquire about prices for the Sigma 50mm if you interested in that... I doubt anyone here knows since.. I've never heard of any Pentaxian with that lens. I don't even think Sigma produce this lens for Pentax mount anymore. Tin Cheung lists the lens for Canon Sony and Nikon but not Pentax, priced at SG$600, I'd expect it would be ~$750 locally.

Last i asked in Nov 09 was $800 plus;p

Have lah, Adorama and B&H both still selling, and Sigma website still states it's available for Pentax mount.

I think there's at least one local Pentaxian using the Sigma 50mm: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=635049

My question remains .. do they both have auto focus? also how about the DA 40mm F2.8 limited? about $500 right ? isit better than the FA F1.4 ?

FA 50 f1.4 is soft open wide. but stopped down, it's awfully sharp.

Dunno about DA 40 but other says its sharp wide open. Please correct me if I'm Wrong.

My question remains .. do they both have auto focus? also how about the DA 40mm F2.8 limited? about $500 right ? isit better than the FA F1.4 ?

Both are AF. You can also go to their respective websites to have a look at the details.

Don't think anyone can answer the question as to what lens is better. It all depends on individual needs and preference. What do you need it for? How fast is considered fast? Does it need to be small/light? Budget? Sharpness over all other considerations (eg. Bokeh; color bias )? Focal length needed? Used for?
All these play a part to your considerations.
You may want to go through the questions to have a better understanding to your needs.

Ok so what I really want is a fast lens that has a sharp centre focus when wide open and preferably around $500 so it's either the fa50mm or da40mm which are around the same price right ? Which one is sharper wide open ?

I don't see how it can be fair to compare which is sharper wide open when they both have different max aperture size.