Pentax or Canon??

TS, actually you are right. Pentax K20D really sucks. But don't worry. I will help you and buy all your pentax stuff over for $200. Then I will help you dispose of it.

Then you can go buy a Sony NEX or Canon camera and fulfill your dreams.

How? on or not?

:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie: can i join in?:p

Add in Nikon too incase there is a comparing nikon thread..

TS, actually you are right. Pentax K20D really sucks. But don't worry. I will help you and buy all your pentax stuff over for $200. Then I will help you dispose of it.

Then you can go buy a Sony NEX or Canon camera and fulfill your dreams.

How? on or not?

I bid $200.05!!

If you open any DSLR and see what lies near the viewfinder, most likely there is either pentaprism or pentamirror. Hey, the brand is there also.

So don't feel inferior, be proud of your gears.

I think it is PENTAprism refleX....correct me if i am wrong;)

I think it is PENTAprism refleX....correct me if i am wrong;)

ehh history... :)

Taken from wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentax

In 1952 Asahi Optical introduced its first camera, the Asahiflex (the first Japanese SLR using 35mm film). The name "Pentax" was actually created from "Pentaprism" and "Contax", this brand became a registered trademark of the East German VEB Zeiss Ikon, which later sold the name "Pentax" to Asahi Optical in 1957

Did you know the the K-mount used by pentax is dessigned by ZEISS? :)
And in the 60's, market share of pentax is 80% and the remaining is only shared by canon and nikon? That's why until now, you can still buy those wonderful TAKUMAR lenses. :)

but well it's history, the most important thing is today...

Last edited:
$200. i jump ship go pentax liao loh! actually pentax is good too. i almost got the K-x last year when it was just released.. comparing with other entry level DSLR, it was the most bang for buck DSLR.. but end up chose sony because i still prefer minolta afterall :p

I had bought a Pentax K20D 3 weeks ago, but feel a bit regret and i dont know what the reason, maybe because of the brand??! K20D or Canon 500D? Shall i sell off my K20D?:dunno:

今天PENTAX好,
明天CANON好,
天天换相机,
花钱知多少.:bsmilie:

@dormant - your thinking is absolutely spot on

ditch the pentax and get the canon.... and if you need an unsuspecting, gullible fool who can take it off your hands, please pm me...

CONTAX is a different brand la. aiyoh.

ehh history... :)

Taken from wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentax

Did you know the the K-mount used by pentax is dessigned by ZEISS? :)
And in the 60's, market share of pentax is 80% and the remaining is only shared by canon and nikon? That's why until now, you can still buy those wonderful TAKUMAR lenses. :)

but well it's history, the most important thing is today...

Gosh.. you are right! Good to know.

Sad that Contax is dead now too.

I had bought a Pentax K20D 3 weeks ago, but feel a bit regret and i dont know what the reason, maybe because of the brand??! K20D or Canon 500D? Shall i sell off my K20D?:dunno:
why are you concerned about the brand?

people don't see PENTAX on your pictures. you are in photography for what, pictures , or to show people what brand you are using? tsk.

if you know why you are not happy with the brand, and it is a valid reason, i'd be all for it. i can name many reasons why i might not want to use the brand i'm using now. but "feel a bit regret and don't know what the reason, maybe because of the brand" is the lamest excuse i've heard. well, one of the lamest.

Last edited:
:bsmilie:Very much agree on this. Was working at orchard for the past few months. And saw so many kids holding on 550D. Some even use it to snap price tag on product.

But not everyone thinks the way u do;p
As wad TS stated, he is being troubled by the brand and it is the 2nd time he posted the same thing. I wont be surprise that a 3rd thread comparing xxx brand with xxx brand again from him.:sticktong

To TS:

Every brand have their pros and cons, not 1 brand is better then the other.

Lets take for example canon is the best brand. If everyone thinks the same way, i can say nikon, pentax, sony etc... they will have to close their current business and start on a new. (Everyone is going for canon, the rest eat air)

Treasure what u have now is the correct thing to do rather then comparing.

FYI, i'm using a pentax k-x, and i'm proud of it. :D
In the first place, i bought this k20 on impulse+was highly recommended by d seller as i totally know nothing bout DSLR but jus feel like having it fast as i like to tk close-up pic. (End up I bought it without surveying other cam function within 24 hours and i didnt do any checking on the lens n etc- lucky no fungus) But after having it, i start to think of what other cam function can do compare to my K20...3D Panorama, Video, 7frames/2nd n etc... Beside that, i know brand is not that important but as other brand you can easily point at d lens that you want which lying on the shelves compare to pentax. By d way does Pentax still manufacture new cheap lens?! At first I dont like d shape(not pro enough) of Nex but u can get a bokeh easily by turning d rear (easy to operate to newbie) n is out of my list coz dont have much lens to change (heard fr clubsnap member). Last but not least..all the while I am F not M...thx! lol..

In the first place, i bought this k20 on impulse+was highly recommended by d seller as i totally know nothing bout DSLR but jus feel like having it fast as i like to tk close-up pic. (End up I bought it without surveying other cam function within 24 hours and i didnt do any checking on the lens n etc- lucky no fungus) But after having it, i start to think of what other cam function can do compare to my K20...3D Panorama, Video, 7frames/2nd n etc... Beside that, i know brand is not that important but as other brand you can easily point at d lens that you want which lying on the shelves compare to pentax. By d way does Pentax still manufacture new cheap lens?! At first I dont like d shape(not pro enough) of Nex but u can get a bokeh easily by turning d rear (easy to operate to newbie) n is out of my list coz dont have much lens to change (heard fr clubsnap member). Last but not least..all the while I am F not M...thx! lol..

sorry, why do you need 7 frames per second?

also, you can do 3d panorama with any camera, from what i gather.

pentax does manufacture affordable lenses. relatively affordable. every brand has some of that.

if you need a nex camera to get a "bokeh easily by turning the rear", then i guess it's better if you stick to simpler, less advanced cameras... just my opinion. might get more joy out of that.

Repeating what others have already said: if you are serious about taking photos, then just go out there and shoot and prove that the K20 is a better camera... or better still, that you are a better shooter even with a lousy camera. Not that the K20 is a lousy camera.

But if you keep thinking about what-if, and keep thinking and thinking rather than shooting then yeah, suggest you get rid of this cam and get a branded one, so that you can start taking more pictures.

Whichever is your cuppa.

I received your PM & i know yours is the newest K20D i can find,but is hard to offer
u at this point of time as you can see how much a 2nd hand K20 going for.

I just don't wish to make u feel more regret..:(

Keep shooting,join us for the mthly outing & have fun.

Last edited:
TS bought it on impulse. It was Sony, now is Canon, next will be ... :bsmilie:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=760385

Seriously, if you really can't sleep because you own inferior brand, then just sell your camera and buy the superior brand. That will save a lot of troubles. Nothing wrong with buying something because of the brand.

LOL, I agree fully with one of the last posts in the other thread though

"Nex's menu driven selections a PITA"

Actually... if it really makes you feel so uncomfortable, why even post this and the NEX thread? Just make a decision like an adult and sell the pentax and be done with it. Then buy the next camera.

BTW, if you don't know yet, Canon's DSLR is as complex as Pentax.

From your posts so far, I think you should just go buy a NEX camera and get it over with. Don't think you are ready for DSLR yet. But please do your research this time round.

And also, so that you know, looking "pro" doesn't score you any points if the pictures your produce is not "pro". That is if you are really trying to take photos... Forget everything I've said if you just want to wear the camera on your neck as jewelery to show off your pro-ness.

And also don't expect almost new price when selling your pentax. A used cam is a used cam no matter if it is 2 hours old or 2 months old. Unless it is a super hot popular model, a 15-20% off store prices now should be reasonable if your cam is still within warranty.

Last edited:

you'll be forever newbie if you act like that.
3d panorama - how many times you'll do that
7 frames per second - are you sure you're going to use that?

creating bokeh is just the same as turning the rear thumb wheel on your K20D. honestly, no need to barge through menu on aperture priority.

The only thing you need to do is to have time to read through manual and start shooting. you'll see how wonderful life is without feeling regret.

but we are as good only to recommend you, you still have the last decision.

LOL, I agree fully with one of the last posts in the other thread though

"Nex's menu driven selections a PITA"

Wait till the update... Now it's like 10x more customizable, you can assign functions to the buttons, etc.

I guess everything that can be said has already been said. I seriously wonder why we (myself included) bother to reply to such troll-threads. :dunno:

TS hasn't even posted/replied anything after creating this thread. That says something.

Troll-alert, troll alert. :)