Status
Not open for further replies.

Temujin

Aug 27, 2004
hi i am a noob to photography

got a A95 and wants to upgrade to a DSLR

is considing Pentax as an option

I am basically a cheapo. brand means nothing me

I just want nice contrasty lens at low prices not like the types that 'good' lens from N or C offer. Is pentax a good alternative.

Temujin said:

I just want nice contrasty lens at low prices not like the types that 'good' lens from N or C offer. Is pentax a good alternative.

Last heard body alone is at < 1300. Get the 16-45/4 at 480 for a setup pretty much set for super wide to short tele and get a telezoom (pentax 55-200, sigma 70-300 or 55-200) to go with that. If u are interested in one lens setups, there seem to be a lot of good comments abt the sigma 18-125 ($500+?) which gives u 28-200mm in a small foot print. If really low on budget, get the 18-55mm kit lens (200+) or the sigma 18-55 ($180). All in all u should be looking at ard 1500+ (SD cards for another 70-100+)to get started unless u have lenses available or u getting used ones.

Dun really wanna do brand comparisons as it usually lead to senseless wars. If u want super fast focussing (AFS/USM) or lens stabilisation (IS/VR) u had best to look elsewhere. Pentax's strength is in providing a simple, no fuss and compact system with good ergonomics and compact package. There's also the joy of picking up a 10-20 yrs old gem at low prices and using them at almost full functionality.... :angel:

Temujin said:

Hmmmm..... why do you say pentax buyer are cheapo? :cry: ...... Anyway, pentax have quite a few good lenses ...... in fact the quality of 85mm f/1.4 is unsupressed by even the likes of Canon 1.2L or Zeiss lenses.

Hi,

Sorry I did not make it clear. I mean myself. I don't really care what brand as long its cheap enough.. :)

blurblock said:
Hmmmm..... why do you say pentax buyer are cheapo? :cry: ...... Anyway, pentax have quite a few good lenses ...... in fact the quality of 85mm f/1.4 is unsupressed by even the likes of Canon 1.2L or Zeiss lenses.

If brand is not a main concern, yup.. istDS is a alternative choice for u. many Pentax users produce nice photos with their dslr.

Temujin said:
Hi,

Sorry I did not make it clear. I mean myself. I don't really care what brand as long its cheap enough.. :)

Well... are you really sure you want to go the SLR route? Think about:
1) The extra space you need to store all the bigger files. A bigger hard drive, and maybe even more RAM for the computer.
2) Lots of extra accessories: dry cabinet, camera bag, blower, lens and CCD cleaners, tripod, etc etc.
3) No more using of a big LCD screen to help you compose. You're going to have to use the viewfinder. And DSLR viewfinders are really small and dark. :/
4) More things to carry around might mean you might end up shooting less than you are right now.
5) $$$$$

This might sound wierd coming from an *istDS user, but I highly recommend trying out a manual film SLR first for a little while before going for a DSLR. At least if you figure out an SLR isn't for you, you haven't burnt that big a hole in the wallet, and its resale value is still going to be there for a long time. Resale value for DSLRs drop like a stone in a well.

Manual SLRs are REALLY cheap now (especially when you compare them to the price of DSLRs), and you can get a VERY decent one with a 50mm lens for dirt cheap off eBay or elsewhere. With that, shoot for a few weeks or months, and slowly decide in the meantime. If it works out, keep the 50mm lens, and sell of the manual and get the digital (or heck... just keep using the manual!).

Personally, I shot with a Pentax MX for a little while (which was my dad's), before taking the plunge into buying a DSLR (and taking around 6 - 8 months of deliberating). The switch was well worth it IMHO, but honestly, this route might not be for everyone. Its alot of money you're going to be potentially spending, so think slowly and wisely!

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks people. All of you have interesting things to say about Pentax.

As for the digital part, its because I am trying very hard to shoot more for practise. My ultimate aim is to be able to gain enough manual skills (is that what you called it?) to handle a medium format (flim) SLR so that I can shoot landscapes.

Do you think this is the right way to go? I don't mind average shooting performance as long as picture quality is good. When I mean picture quality, I don't mean resolution but more for colors and contrast which is my focus in most of my photos.

An example will be this pic I took

3116367-md.jpg

Temujin said:
Thanks people. All of you have interesting things to say about Pentax.

As for the digital part, its because I am trying very hard to shoot more for practise. My ultimate aim is to be able to gain enough manual skills (is that what you called it?) to handle a medium format (flim) SLR so that I can shoot landscapes.

Do you think this is the right way to go? I don't mind average shooting performance as long as picture quality is good. When I mean picture quality, I don't mean resolution but more for colors and contrast which is my focus in most of my photos.

An example will be this pic I took

3116367-md.jpg

Nice. Off the cam, u can use the velvia-like vivid mode to give ur pictures a bit of punch. But most will use the less punchy normal mode as digital negatives so as to give urself a choice between between contrast (velvia) or dynamic range in photoshop.

Temujin said:

If you are starting up new, it would be advisable for you to test out the different brands and find the one with suit your usage since brand is not an issue to you. You will likely hear from Pentax Users that we like D or DS for the fact that it is smaller, bigger viewfinder, use of AA batteries and good Prime lens which the camera allow the use of older lens.

Make your decision based on the feel you have for the camera, whether you feel comfortable and for me, DS is a nice walkabout camera as the body w/ kit lens are light and is as good as using a P&S..Go test the D/DS, I think you will like it, just like most of us....

Hihi Temujin and all!!

Hehe i'm looking at the option of pentax as an alternative to other brands too! Probably the biggest worry i haf is regarding the availability of lenses for pentax, since everyone seems to mention that its actually quite hard to get pentax lenses in singapore. :sweat:

May i add in some questions of my own in this thread too...Regarding the 16-45/4, is it a new lens? And is the $480 mentioned for the price of a new one? Anyone owns this lens? ;p

And are there any feedback on the pentax repair svs in singapore? :)

phantasia said:
Hihi Temujin and all!!

Hehe i'm looking at the option of pentax as an alternative to other brands too! Probably the biggest worry i haf is regarding the availability of lenses for pentax, since everyone seems to mention that its actually quite hard to get pentax lenses in singapore. :sweat:

May i add in some questions of my own in this thread too...Regarding the 16-45/4, is it a new lens? And is the $480 mentioned for the price of a new one? Anyone owns this lens? ;p

Cathay is selling the 16-45 for 485 w/o gst in some thread (paiseh 480 was from memory) a few weeks back. It is a digital lens (DA) but is pretty sharp even wide open. Jebsen and Jessen handles the warranty for here and HK / Macau. As for lenses, think u can either ask the shops to order if not available or pick some up when u go HK for vacations.

does this mean that 2nd hand lens are hard to find here too? one of the reasons why I am considering this brand is because the camera can accept lenses that dates back to 1960s. Thought it might be easy to spot a couple of gems in flea market sales. haha

phantasia said:
Hihi Temujin and all!!

Temujin said:
does this mean that 2nd hand lens are hard to find here too? one of the reasons why I am considering this brand is because the camera can accept lenses that dates back to 1960s. Thought it might be easy to spot a couple of gems in flea market sales. haha

hmmmm.... every camera with the correct adapter can use M42 lenses back to 1960s......

blurblock said:
hmmmm.... every camera with the correct adapter can use M42 lenses back to 1960s......

Eh? EVERY camera? Or do you mean every PENTAX camera?

Temujin said:

Yes, Indeed that the 2nd hand lens here maybe more difficult to get, so far, for myself, I got only kit lens. I am also sourcing from ebay for some good prime lens at the moment, or you may go to KEH.com for buy. Although it accepts old lens, but because of the Marketing of Pentax have not be very aggressive for many years, many 2nd shop have chosen not to take Pentax lenses, which now make it very difficult for us to get here. Unless you know people who switch system and willing to sell you.....please let all of us know if you know any.. Anyway, D/DS are good cameras, and perhaps, you should try not to worry about it at the moment, cause if most of us here can get the lenses, I believe you could too.... :D

Is it safe to assume that all DA lenses will be available on sale new here? Cos i did a check...and it seems that DA lenses alone are quite sufficient to cover most needs already.

How about the flash system for pentax? Do you guys use external flash? If so...wats available? Would 3rd party flashes be cheaper?

phantasia said:
Is it safe to assume that all DA lenses will be available on sale new here? Cos i did a check...and it seems that DA lenses alone are quite sufficient to cover most needs already.

How about the flash system for pentax? Do you guys use external flash? If so...wats available? Would 3rd party flashes be cheaper?

Yes, DA lenses are sufficient for most usage, unlike you prefer Prime Lens. If the shop do not have any, perhaps all you need to do is ask them to make order for you, likewise for Sigma or Tamron Pentax Mount Lense.

I do have the Pentax AF360, so far so good. 3rd party maybe cheaper depending on which u are getting and the function available for each flash will be different, so perhaps you could find out more on these, depending on what you want to use them for. And again, if the shop tell you they do have stock, find out the price and order. ;)

Heretix said:
Eh? EVERY camera? Or do you mean every PENTAX camera?

Every Camera ....... as long as the flange base distances is lesser then 45.5 and there is a correct adapter.

Hi
phantasia

In 1960-70s Asahi Pentax had cameras with the M42 screw mount. The lenses made were Super Takumars with screw thread. The cameras then were SV, Spotmatic. also S1a?

The M42 was somewhat limited and slow in changing lenses but it was also a bit universal. Pentacon made cameras that fit M42 screw mount. So did some other makers. Carl Zeiss Jena (East Germany) used to make good lenses in screw mount. Now no more East Germany after reunifying.

Later Pentax changed the mount to the K mount which was also pretty well supported by other makers such as Ricoh, Chinon, Cosina. They employed the K mount in their cameras.

I think when Blurblock mentioned adapters, he was referring to the M42 screw mount adapter. Not an adapter to use the K mount lenses on say, a Nikon. (not sure if there is one) You can fit a M42 screw mount lens on a Canon, Nikon, Yashica/Contax.....whatever...

BUT.....

it is not the same, as you have to stop down to meter as well as to take the picture and the viewfinder will be dim. There will be no auto iris stop down operation. Unless you shoot at full aperture at all times.

The only exception I have used was a Rollei 35 mm SLR I once had and its adapter does close down the screw thread lens iris automatically.

interesting post. I don't mind telling you guys why I am considering Pentax. This is because of its reputation of producing quirky lenses that is valued by fine art photographers. It doesn't matter if the lens is not too sharp or fast or lacks a lot of other qualities. I value little quriks that allows photographs with unique character to be produced. So does pentax really live up to this reputation?

Status
Not open for further replies.